• Software
  • WIll you weigh in on Samplitude and Mixcraft? (p.2)
2018/01/08 16:16:57
35mm
mcdoma2000
I've had issues with Mixcraft not releasing the ASIO drivers when I end it. I've had to do a reboot in order to use a different DAW, as I'm still trying to determine what I'll use long term. Pretty frustrating...

I have periodically had similar issues with Sonar. You can try rebooting your audio interface instead of rebooting the computer - it's quicker. Normally that forces the DAW to release the driver and shut down its hung process.
2018/01/08 17:08:03
Larry Jones
35mm
mcdoma2000
I've had issues with Mixcraft not releasing the ASIO drivers when I end it. I've had to do a reboot in order to use a different DAW, as I'm still trying to determine what I'll use long term. Pretty frustrating...

I have periodically had similar issues with Sonar. You can try rebooting your audio interface instead of rebooting the computer - it's quicker. Normally that forces the DAW to release the driver and shut down its hung process.

I haven't sorted this out yet myself. I've had the problem on and off over the years: Sound Forge won't play when SONAR has been opened, the browser has no sound when either of the other two are running. I think it's a function of the driver settings for Windows, SONAR, Sound Forge and whatever other audio programs you want to use. They have to match. Some programs detect the driver settings and adjust themselves, and some don't. When they don't, you get no audio. This is just speculation as I haven't tested my theory, but if it's really bugging you I suggest you set Windows and all audio software to the same sample rate and bit depth as the driver for your audio interface.
2018/01/08 17:26:39
Cactus Music
That's interesting Larry as you have the same interface. I often have both Wave Lab and Sonar open. I can also play U Tubes or Win Amp, WMP,, everything always works... but I do only use 44.1 so possibly that's different. Also I have all other audio drivers disabled. 

I find it odd that people will pay money for a "new" DAW that is on par with using older versions of Sonar? Why not just stay with the older version of Sonar or just keep with Splat. I found Mixcraft like working with 8.5. I like it for the same reasons I like 8.5 ,,, but I HAVE 8.5 and it's still works. So why would I spend money on another DAW that is just like one I already own? 

And at this point in time I'm still putting my money on I'll be using Sonar for a long time yet. 
2018/01/08 18:37:40
Larry Jones
Cactus Music
That's interesting Larry as you have the same interface. I often have both Wave Lab and Sonar open. I can also play U Tubes or Win Amp, WMP,, everything always works... but I do only use 44.1 so possibly that's different. Also I have all other audio drivers disabled.

When I first started out I did everything in SONAR at high resolution, until I realized that listeners couldn't tell the difference. So I made the move to 44.1/16, and gradually, as old projects were not being loaded anymore, and after changing everything to the same resolution, my problem went away. That's why I haven't done any troubleshooting on the issue.
Cactus Music

I find it odd that people will pay money for a "new" DAW that is on par with using older versions of Sonar? Why not just stay with the older version of Sonar or just keep with Splat. I found Mixcraft like working with 8.5. I like it for the same reasons I like 8.5 ,,, but I HAVE 8.5 and it's still works. So why would I spend money on another DAW that is just like one I already own? 

And at this point in time I'm still putting my money on I'll be using Sonar for a long time yet. 

Reading this forum over the years I've come to the conclusion that nearly all of us are musicians, but there is also a high percentage of audio tweakers, people who love the technology, know a lot about it, and get satisfaction from using and exploring it about as much as they do from creating music with it. I think both groups have reasons to look for a new DAW as a result of Cakewalk shutting down. In my case, the geeky side of me doesn't want to be stranded some day with a program that needs a fix from software engineers who no longer exist, while the creative side of me is shocked and a little disoriented that this long-term "relationship" suddenly ended with no warning.

Mixed in on both sides is the pure fun of looking into new ways of doing things, and the impulse to maybe buy a little insurance (a backup DAW), just in case SONAR goes south. Add to that the holiday bargain prices we have seen, and Bob's yer uncle.
2018/01/08 19:27:50
35mm
Larry Jones
35mm
mcdoma2000

I haven't sorted this out yet myself. I've had the problem on and off over the years: Sound Forge won't play when SONAR has been opened, the browser has no sound when either of the other two are running. I think it's a function of the driver settings for Windows, SONAR, Sound Forge and whatever other audio programs you want to use. They have to match. Some programs detect the driver settings and adjust themselves, and some don't. When they don't, you get no audio. This is just speculation as I haven't tested my theory, but if it's really bugging you I suggest you set Windows and all audio software to the same sample rate and bit depth as the driver for your audio interface.

Larry, from his post his problem sounded different from what you are talking about. I think his problem is that when he closes Mixcraft it hangs keeping a hold of the audio driver. So he's rebooting to kill the hung process.

The issue you are talking about is not being able to use different audio software with the same driver at the same time when using different sample rates - which is annoying!
2018/01/08 19:34:03
bapu
In my race for the top spot Studio One 3 Pro wins over those two. 

Actually Reaper wins over those two but is slightly under Studio One 3 Pro.

2018/01/08 19:34:19
35mm
Cactus Music

I think when people make the comparison to 8.5, they are talking about the essence (for want of a better word) of the software rather than its functionality etc. A lot of people think 8.5 was Sonar's pinnacle moment. I personally now prefer Samplitude to 8.5 or Splat.
2018/01/08 19:44:47
35mm
bapu
In my race for the top spot Studio One 3 Pro wins over those two. 

Actually Reaper wins over those two but is slightly under Studio One 3 Pro.

I got the Studio One deal too before the Samplitude deal came along, and I just can't get into Studio One. It's kind of odd how much opinions differ seeing as we are all coming from the same software. I guess we were all using Sonar in very different ways.
2018/01/08 21:37:45
ampfixer
I'm not a power user. Samplitude has a lot of extra software in the bundle that I would never use, so I went for Mixcraft because it's very comfortable and easy to use. The other clincher was that it seems to be run by a bunch of very approachable people that are quick to respond if you have issues.
While most people bought based on features and price, I went with the company that seemed to me, to be the most passionate and eager to engage with customers. 
2018/01/09 03:44:27
jude77
Guys,
This is exactly the sort of stuff I was hoping for.  I'm leaning hard towards Samplitude.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account