• Software
  • A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW (p.3)
2018/01/23 20:36:29
Jeff Evans
Cubase has always had a deep and solid foundation to midi back in the Pro 24 days. I used it for composing music for theatre back then running on the Atari. (1985) I later started with Cubase myself as my main sequencer.  Cubase also works very nice with its own midi hardware. Such as the Midex 8. Offering LTB which means super tight timing with the overall system clock and hence the audio side of the program too. Cubase is a very solid Midi based sequencer that is for sure.  I understand why it is considered an Industry Standard. 

Charlie Steinberg and Gerhard Lengling were connected at one stage in history. Gerhard I believe learning sequencer programming from Charlie Steinberg initially. Gerhard went on to develop C Lab notator which over time developed into the version Logic we know today.  Charlie developed Cubase as we know it today.  Two great DAW's developed by two great people.  Lengeling went onto later to develop Garage Band which is also great program.  Especially for younger students learning the basics of music production. 

By simply switching platforms onto a Mac, one can also enjoy Logic which is also a deep and super powerful beast of a program as well.  All it takes is to connect a powerful audio interface to an iMac (USB or thunderbolt) and you have the basis for a super powerful and trouble free music production system.  Most audio interfaces sport hardware midi ports. Thunderbolt is excellent for super low latency making integrating virtual instruments a breeze now.  Logic sports excellent midi timing with is use of Active Midi Transmission though great interfaces such as Emagic hardware like Unitor 8. Logic's audio and midi timing and sync are rock solid too. 

Studio One handles external midi timing with accuracy and tightness. Especially in relation to audio/midi timing.  The gapless audio engine has inherited a dose of both of those inventors.  It has an excellent audio/midi engine especially for looping.  All three DAW's handle that well as are many others entering the scene now. Programs like Studio One can grow fast from the experiences of what has happened before them. It too has not stopped development and will more the likely witness a powerful jump in features with a pending V4 update.

There are some rather interesting DAW's too such as Mixbus which is gaining all the time. They are building on the midi side of that program. It has a very different approach to its design. Well worth considering. Offers a mixer, multitrack analog environment rather well. Might appeal to some more. Other players such as Digital Performer, Samplitude and BitWig are adding to the choices now. 

2018/01/23 20:58:19
azslow3
Frank-US
Where I agree is, that the DAW should fit the customers demand.
Not the market position, not the price or the brand.
Both products Sonar and Cubase have their history and a fully fleged feature set that has developed over time. Which can't be re-build in a short time period by others.

Re-building is sometimes less problematic then historically collected dirt inside the code, especially if the one who produced it is no longer there (or simply no longer remember why it is there). At least that is usual problem for me
No doubt Cubase has collected some Sonaries  (and will collect more). But I guess far from everyone. And it comes from "customers demand". For me that was:
a) no API (the only show stopper, the luck of it means no accessibility and no general surfaces support)
b) no ARA (I know there is own "product", but it is not Melodyne)
c) dongleware (not as much inconvenience as the measure of trust...)
d) Twelve Tone -> Cakewalk -> Roland -> Gibson -> RIP. Steinberg -> Pinnacle -> Yamaha -> ???
2018/01/23 21:16:19
abacab
azslow3

d) Twelve Tone -> Cakewalk -> Roland -> Gibson -> RIP. Steinberg -> Pinnacle -> Yamaha -> ???

LOL, clever! 
2018/01/23 21:17:33
abacab
Jeff Evans
Cubase has always had a deep and solid foundation to midi back in the Pro 24 days. I used it for composing music for theatre back then running on the Atari. (1985) I later started with Cubase myself as my main sequencer.  Cubase also works very nice with its own midi hardware. Such as the Midex 8. Offering LTB which means super tight timing with the overall system clock and hence the audio side of the program too. Cubase is a very solid Midi based sequencer that is for sure.  I understand why it is considered an Industry Standard. 

Charlie Steinberg and Gerhard Lengling were connected at one stage in history. Gerhard I believe learning sequencer programming from Charlie Steinberg initially. Gerhard went on to develop C Lab notator which over time developed into the version Logic we know today.  Charlie developed Cubase as we know it today.  Two great DAW's developed by two great people.  Lengeling went onto later to develop Garage Band which is also great program.  Especially for younger students learning the basics of music production. 

By simply switching platforms onto a Mac, one can also enjoy Logic which is also a deep and super powerful beast of a program as well.  All it takes is to connect a powerful audio interface to an iMac (USB or thunderbolt) and you have the basis for a super powerful and trouble free music production system.  Most audio interfaces sport hardware midi ports. Thunderbolt is excellent for super low latency making integrating virtual instruments a breeze now.  Logic sports excellent midi timing with is use of Active Midi Transmission though great interfaces such as Emagic hardware like Unitor 8. Logic's audio and midi timing and sync are rock solid too. 

Studio One handles external midi timing with accuracy and tightness. Especially in relation to audio/midi timing.  The gapless audio engine has inherited a dose of both of those inventors.  It has an excellent audio/midi engine especially for looping.  All three DAW's handle that well as are many others entering the scene now. Programs like Studio One can grow fast from the experiences of what has happened before them. It too has not stopped development and will more the likely witness a powerful jump in features with a pending V4 update.

There are some rather interesting DAW's too such as Mixbus which is gaining all the time. They are building on the midi side of that program. It has a very different approach to its design. Well worth considering. Offers a mixer, multitrack analog environment rather well. Might appeal to some more. Other players such as Digital Performer, Samplitude and BitWig are adding to the choices now.

Interesting background info ...
2018/01/24 10:37:52
Frank-US
Jeff Evans

Charlie Steinberg and Gerhard Lengling were connected at one stage in history. Gerhard I believe learning sequencer programming from Charlie Steinberg initially.

Yep, that story is true.

Jeff Evans
Programs like Studio One can grow fast from the experiences of what has happened before them. It too has not stopped development and will more the likely witness a powerful jump in features with a pending V4 update.

You're right here. If the foundation is done, features can be added much faster. Until the cycle of code erosion chimes in.
I'm not saying that Studio One is not a fine program. I'm just saying that it is hard to catch up with the ones, that are a long time in the market.
2018/01/24 10:49:09
Frank-US
azslow3

Re-building is sometimes less problematic then historically collected dirt inside the code, especially if the one who produced it is no longer there (or simply no longer remember why it is there).

Usually code (that even has been written from scratch) is getting old and cumbersome after 3 to 4 years. There has to be a constant re-write under the hood. So, being longer than four years in the market, the advantage of "fresh" code is gone. Every company has to deal with that problem.

azslow3
No doubt Cubase has collected some Sonaries  (and will collect more). But I guess far from everyone. And it comes from "customers demand". For me that was:
b) no ARA (I know there is own "product", but it is not Melodyne)

B) Is on our list
D) Won't happen 

Best,
Frank
2018/01/24 12:20:33
azslow3
Frank-US
B) Is on our list

So it seems like upcoming API has convinced more DAWs then S1 oriented first release 
It is going to be the first technological move which Sonar will be unable to follow
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account