2009/04/02 09:34:56
Internalized Sun
Hi Dave,

Yes I've tried "no slash" for both (I would think that logically they both should obey the same rule).

About character translations - oh yes - I'm a professional programmer, and I KNOW that character encodings are so much hassle - No one seems to acknowledge the standards and even Microsoft themselves seem to get it wrong internally some of the times.... so NO I do NOT hope that this is the case...

Just checked the rest of the registry - I did not find other entries that could somehow overwrite these values...

Above you refer to a "file icon or button"... now what is that? Please elaborate...

If you mean the same icon that you use to load .prog files with (just selecting .* all files instead), then that made no difference....

Thank you
Dennis P
2009/04/02 10:17:24
DaveClark
Hi Dennis,

On the file "icon" or "button" I meant that thing on the left-hand side of that row of buttons where you can reset the program, open the vector thing (sorry, booted into Linux and cannot check the names nor button order!), etc. Also where you can alternatively load programs, as you said. It seems you know what I'm referring to.

On Contents and Multisamples working the same: Yes, as you say one should expect that, but you also know that is not necessarily the case. The program has default values for some of those key values, but perhaps not for all of them. Because you are seeing behavior that so far defies explanation, I question these assumptions --- as you yourself do I'm sure, in your programming troubleshooting.

Have you tried both DirectX and VST DPro? Or did they just supply one of these in SONAR?

Regards,
Dave Clark

2009/04/02 10:25:56
dwcaldwell
Well, I'm stumped. I know nothing about your version of Windows. By strange translations, do you mean Vista Junction Points? I do not see any DP related files in my Vista Premium x64 C:\ProgramData folder (where junction points might come into play).

I don't think this affects multisample files, but have you tried pressing the "F5" key when focus is on the DP Program Browser window to refresh the program list?
2009/04/02 10:43:21
b rock
Navigated to the rx2 files and selected the rx2 file - nothing happens - it does not load... so they seem to not work for some reason
Just curious. What is the version number of your Rex Shared Library.dll? (There may be several instances of it on your system.)
If the version(s) are something other than 1.5.4.0, have you tried removing and replacing the .dll(s) with the download from Propellerheads?
2009/04/02 13:04:40
Internalized Sun
Now this is a bit freaky...

Your question: How many Rex Shared Library.dll files do I have?!

Answer: None

I can read from page at Propellerheads that it is needed for 3rd party programs to support the REX and REX2 formats...
So WHY isn't it supplied by Cakewalk on the DVD or at least mentioned in the installation instructions?

Are you sure I really need that DLL - the Dimension Pro.dll could contain a static linked version of the Rex Shared Library.dll (not sure why that would be a good idea as this would remove the possibility of letting Propellerheads update independently)...

Thank you for your perseverance!
Dennis P

2009/04/02 13:41:56
b rock
Are you sure I really need that DLL - the Dimension Pro.dll could contain a static linked version of the Rex Shared Library.dll
Good point; worthy of experimentation. I mentioned the Rex Shared Library.dll because of problems that various Cakewalk host apps (and other plugins) caused by providing another version, and/or overwriting the current one. Specifically, I had problems myself in this area with the RXP synth.

As a test just now, I renamed the Rex Shared Library.dll (version 1.5.4.0) in my Windows\System 32 folder [WinXP here]. After launching the Dimension Pro microhost (to guard against host intervention), I experienced the same results that you did. Load an .rx2 file from DimPro's Multisamples [72 - REX Drum Loops] folder, and nothing happened. After renaming the Rex Shared Library.dll file back correctly, everything loaded up just fine.
2009/04/02 14:35:33
kwgm
Wow,

Sherlock Brock is on the job. I'm impressed!

2009/04/02 15:02:51
Internalized Sun
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

Well installing the Rex Shared Library did the trick!

But why does it not say so in the installation instructions or the last minute read me file?
The only references to REX support concerns Intel-enabled Macintosh or x64 systems... not your regular x86 boring PC...

Can you believe the hassle I've been through not knowing this?! (5 times re-install, 20 something times checking for ANY hints, hunting on the Internet for answers).

THANK YOU VERY MUCH - you just made my day!

The happy camper,
Dennis P
2009/04/02 15:05:37
Internalized Sun
ORIGINAL: kwgm
Wow,
Sherlock Brock is on the job. I'm impressed!

Hi Kurt,

Yes so am I actually - edited the subject to prepend [SOLVED!] for all to see... dang!

/Dennis P
2009/04/02 19:13:25
DaveClark
Hi all,

Congrats to both b rock and Dennis for solving this problem.

There is still a big mystery here: How did the library end up missing? I never had to manually install any additional dll's for DPro to play rx2 files, and as far as I know, nobody else has had to do that.

The Rex file player in SONAR should not have worked for Dennis, including back in SONAR 6. Is that correct, Dennis, or did you never use it?

Although it's now working, I'm personally still mystified by how this came about. Has anyone else seen this? Do a lot of folks have this problem but don't know it? Did the update think that the lib was already installed or something like that?

More questions than answers for this problem.

---------------------------

It is VERY disconcerting that dll's could end up missing without the installation checking for that. Because Dennis is a programmer, I was actually going to suggest using depends or process explorer, but didn't because I thought that nothing would be learned. (Silly me!) Users should not have to do things like that, and we're not supposed to "reverse engineer."

Regards,
Dave Clark

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account