2018/01/10 12:26:36
soens
For a while I was able to postpone the inevitable by not going online. Every so often it would try to update and then warn me it couldn't.

Finally, I was in control.

Then one day I went online for a couple hours carefully watching to see if it would try again. With no warning I got the message to restart my computer so Windows could finalize the update.

So now I have 1709.

It may not turn out to be so bad, but now...

- I have to log into the computer twice each time it boots up.
- I have to reset all my default programs and file associations.
- I have to set program permissions for apps trying to do things behind the scenes.
  (Even Alienware apps are being denied to perform their necessary tasks)

Just a nuisance, that's all.

2018/01/10 12:59:49
gswitz
I think people don't notice the scheduled tasks. Services and scheduled tasks worktogether. These can be disabled.
2018/01/10 13:04:07
CakeAlexSHere
Get Pro and put on on current branch for business, then never look back:

https://www.howtogeek.com...eferred-in-windows-10/
2018/01/10 13:05:50
CakeAlexSHere
In regards to your issue I would try creating a new user account in Windows to see if this clears things up.
2018/01/10 13:58:04
Grem
Even if you limit the time PC is on-line, I think Windows d/l whatever it can at that time, and slowly builds the install package. IOW, it has a d/l manager!

Now just to be clear, this is speculation on my part!! : )
2018/01/10 14:03:06
Jim Roseberry
With Pro, you can put in Registry tweaks that'll stop ALL automatic updates (including downloads and prompts).
2018/01/10 14:17:16
subtlearts
Hmm. By and large I've been ridiculously lucky with Windows updates over the years, they have never broken anything significant for me. The odd program needs to be reauthorized, or even more occasionally reinstalled... But mostly it's been remarkably smooth sailing. Old hardware, old drivers, whatever. The most recent one (1709) incapacitated my video card somehow so that plugins which depend on OpenGL GPU acceleration would open a blank GUI, which did lead to some hair-pulling, but since it was an ancient unsupported card I really couldn't complain too bitterly. Weirdly it worked under the basic Windows driver but that does not support dual screen so it was not a great solution. Thankfully, partly due to helpful forum folks here, I was able to get fully up to speed with a €40 replacement card. Mild graphics performance bump into the bargain!

So I'm still waiting for one of them to really bungle things up. I'm sure it'll happen eventually. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead and freeze it now?

But I definitely sympathize with folks who've had a rougher road with it than I have...
2018/01/10 14:51:37
subtlearts
p.s. why do you have to log in twice? I'm not seeing anything like that here. Seems very odd for sure, that would warrant some followup with support. 

In fact I'm not seeing any of the below on 1709... seems like something fundamentally amiss! 

soens
- I have to log into the computer twice each time it boots up.
- I have to reset all my default programs and file associations.
- I have to set program permissions for apps trying to do things behind the scenes.
  (Even Alienware apps are being denied to perform their necessary tasks)

2018/01/10 15:14:49
CakeAlexSHere
^^
Just to say again try a new user account (log into it) My feeling is that this is possibly a corrupt user profile.
2018/01/10 15:18:56
subtlearts
CakeAlexSHere
^^
Just to say again try a new user account (log into it) My feeling is that this is possibly a corrupt user profile.

That sounds plausible! Worth a try... 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account