2018/01/10 18:30:29
rsinger
If you use wi-fi you can set the connection as metered. That allows you to download manually. If you want to install an update you just check for updates and if one is available you can download it. I don't want data pushed to my PC if I'm tracking ...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028458/windows-metered-connections-in-windows-10

2018/01/10 19:26:20
soens
Theses are all fixable within Win10, just a nuisance is all. BTW, 1709 bypassed Metered Connection somehow.
2018/01/10 20:03:26
auto_da_fe
I still use the "metered connection" settings and it does not install updates unless I say so.

Jeff
2018/01/10 20:35:35
raisindot
Why not just disable Windows Update in the Services menu? That's what I do. 
2018/01/10 21:28:04
raisindot

Why not just disable Windows Update in the Services menu? That's what I do. 

That's what I use to do as well. Alas it seems Windows 10 will eventually update anyway. Long story short, all my PC's and Laptops (5) have disabled updates this way since build 1511. The other week I noticed activity, it was Windows downloading and installing updates, checked my other machines, they were still set to disabled, then the next day another one started to update. I ended up just checking if there was any problems with the update, everything was fine, so I just updated all my machines, no issues other than a few reathorizations of plugins. So from my experience even with the Windows Update Service disabled, eventually Windows will have it's way and update. On the 2 machines that started updating automatically (even though the update service was disabled) I noticed that the setting was changed from 'Disabled' to 'Manual' when the updates were taking place.
2018/01/10 21:28:30
Jim Roseberry

With Pro, you can put in Registry tweaks that'll stop ALL automatic updates (including downloads and prompts).

Care to share?
2018/01/11 01:26:42
abacab
The best defense against being blindsided by anything is to use an imaging program.  Sure, wasting 30 mins to restore your system to the most recent image can be annoying, but that is the extent of it. 

There are many options available, but I can vouch for Macrium Reflect free and a cheap 1TB USB drive.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I have Macrium scheduled to image my system drive each day.  To roll back just boot from the Windows PE rescue media and restore.  Using the built-in wizard, the rescue media can be built automatically on CD/DVD or USB thumb drive.
2018/01/11 14:24:43
raisindot
abacab
I have Macrium scheduled to image my system drive each day.  To roll back just boot from the Windows PE rescue media and restore.  Using the built-in wizard, the rescue media can be built automatically on CD/DVD or USB thumb drive.

Hi, I'm interested in this but I'd like to know a little more. For one thing, does the free version image everything on the "C" drive, including stuff in folders, or just the things needed to run Windows? Second, is the "Windows PE rescue" device different than the external USB hard drive you'd use to "store" the image? 
2018/01/11 17:03:36
mudgel
rsinger
If you use wi-fi you can set the connection as metered. That allows you to download manually. If you want to install an update you just check for updates and if one is available you can download it. I don't want data pushed to my PC if I'm tracking ...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028458/windows-metered-connections-in-windows-10

Why do you need to be connected to the Internet when you’re tracking? Or doing anything in Sonar for that matter except transferring files which would be part of preparations which get done before tracking etc.
2018/01/11 17:08:04
CakeAlexSHere
rsinger

mudgel
Why do you need to be connected to the Internet when you’re tracking? Or doing anything in Sonar for that matter except transferring files which would be part of preparations which get done before tracking etc.

Yes that is right, better to disable the network adapter if this concerns you.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account