2018/01/16 05:36:12
mumpcake
Am I the only one who finds that BWS has some really cool and advanced stuff only to be balanced by some infuriatingly stupid decisions and failures on some basic things?
2018/01/16 05:43:44
CakeAlexSHere
Stupid decisions or just gaps? Bitwig is only on version 2. So what stuff and what stupid decisions and failures?
2018/01/16 08:00:23
Kuusniemi
I personally don't find Bitwig to be filled with stupid decision and failures. It comes a different mentality of music making than the Sonar surround. There are a lot of great things in Bitwig which I wish Sonar would have.

2018/01/16 14:19:59
dubdisciple
Not at all. I think they took a different approach, borrowing heavily from Ableton, yet distinct. Any minor issues are to be expected in such a young product.
2018/01/16 15:43:32
CTStump
If Project 5 was allowed continued development instead of getting joined into Sonar and forgotten I think this disscusion would be about lamenting the loss of that from the Gibson fiasco.

Bitwig is way beyond that but everytime I see that GUI it stirs the old feelings about that Project 5 "What if".
2018/01/16 18:27:24
denverdrummer
it's a young product based mainly to the EDM folks.  As far as a dynamic user interface it is by far my favorite DAW.  it's so inviting and simple to use.  But yes there are some huge drawbacks for things like doing tempo track editing, doing any type of pitch correction, lack of functionality like multi-track comping.  But you can still do some incredible stuff with it.

Good grief people create some incredible songs with Garage Band and really that's really just as if not more limited than Bitwig.

Give it time, Bitwig is going places, but I just hope they can remain financially solvent as we all well know how difficult this market is if you are a software only company.
2018/01/17 02:55:03
mumpcake
If I were to be developing a pattern based sequencer targeted to the EDM crowd, the first thing I would have to do is get looping down.

However, Bitwig does not support REX, which is one of the major formats of looped content.  That's some basic functionality which is missing.

Also, anyone who has ever tried to audition MIDI files can't possibly spin their implementation as "a different mindset".  It's crap pure and simple.  What happens is that when you audition one, it makes some bleeping sounds.  Furthermore, they actually had to make conscious design decisions and probably put as much effort into making a crappy sound generator as it would have to simply redirect the MIDI to the highlighted track.  Even worse, you can't effectively audition MIDI drum loops using their previewer. 

I'm also baffled by what you need to do to tap tempo.  Anyone who tells you they figured out how to do that without resorting to Google is lying.  It's completely unintuitive and doesn't really make that much sense when you know how to do that.

Now I'm not saying that BWS is a total POS.  On the contrary, my first post hints at several awesome things it does.  That's why I find things like the issues I have listed above really frustrating.
2018/01/17 03:04:25
mumpcake
CTStump
If Project 5 was allowed continued development instead of getting joined into Sonar and forgotten I think this disscusion would be about lamenting the loss of that from the Gibson fiasco.

Bitwig is way beyond that but everytime I see that GUI it stirs the old feelings about that Project 5 "What if".

That's exactly why I went with BWS was its similarities to P5.  I'm not quite as productive in BWS as P5, but then I had several years of heavy P5 experience compared to one light year with BWS, but I'm sure I'll get there.
2018/01/17 03:18:14
dubdisciple
I can see where bitwig could confuse people. Certainly threw me off at first. Some things are terribly unintuitive but sone things are brilliant..just like every DAW
2018/01/17 03:46:26
Fleer
Bitwig lover here. No EDM, mind you.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account