2018/01/17 06:42:31
CakeAlexSHere
You should buy Project 5 instead ! :) :) (Joking).
Big bitwig fan here anyway.
2018/01/17 20:12:06
kitekrazy1
mumpcake
Am I the only one who finds that BWS has some really cool and advanced stuff only to be balanced by some infuriatingly stupid decisions and failures on some basic things?

Reason is like that.
2018/01/18 01:28:39
abacab
CTStump
If Project 5 was allowed continued development instead of getting joined into Sonar and forgotten I think this disscusion would be about lamenting the loss of that from the Gibson fiasco.

Bitwig is way beyond that but everytime I see that GUI it stirs the old feelings about that Project 5 "What if".

I had Project 5, version 1, then upgraded to version 2. They came in a cool box!  I was becoming a big fan of soft synths at that point! 

What if?  That was a seriously missed opportunity.  I had the full version of Ableton Live at the time, but that seemed more oriented towards audio loops.  I loved the synth rack approach with P5, combined with the Groove Matrix.

The similarity to the P5 Groove Matrix was the first thing I noticed about Bitwig's "revolutionary" Clip Launcher.  Ha!

FLEXIBLE USER INTERFACE

Customized workflow to match any style.

Bitwig Studio features a flexible panel based user interface; you have the power to choose what you wish to see depending on task, on up to three monitors.
In Bitwig Studio, use the Clip Launcher alongside your arrangement to draft your song‘s layout on the fly, or use it exclusively as a performance tool.

2018/01/18 05:51:25
mumpcake
kitekrazy1
mumpcake
Am I the only one who finds that BWS has some really cool and advanced stuff only to be balanced by some infuriatingly stupid decisions and failures on some basic things?

Reason is like that.

I think I demo'd Reason around v3.  I thought the racks were kind of cool but sequencing seemed really awkward.
2018/01/18 05:54:19
mumpcake
abacab
CTStump
If Project 5 was allowed continued development instead of getting joined into Sonar and forgotten I think this disscusion would be about lamenting the loss of that from the Gibson fiasco.

Bitwig is way beyond that but everytime I see that GUI it stirs the old feelings about that Project 5 "What if".

I had Project 5, version 1, then upgraded to version 2. They came in a cool box!  I was becoming a big fan of soft synths at that point! 

What if?  That was a seriously missed opportunity.  I had the full version of Ableton Live at the time, but that seemed more oriented towards audio loops.  I loved the synth rack approach with P5, combined with the Groove Matrix.

The similarity to the P5 Groove Matrix was the first thing I noticed about Bitwig's "revolutionary" Clip Launcher.  Ha!

I'm sure that when they saw Bitwig get the CM Editor's choice award, Jesse Jost and Nick Haddad were like...
"...but, but..."
"Man we was robbed!"
2018/01/18 08:12:09
sharke
I just bought Bitwig and am going through the manual. In my eyes it's a fantastically designed DAW and is going big places. It's great to work with a beautiful modern looking program without the bloat and legacy of Sonar. You cannot underestimate the significance of it being such a young DAW - all DAW's started with a much smaller feature set than they ended up with, and there's always going to be a certain amount of feeling around before they get things 100% right. 

It will probably end up with REX support, and will also probably end up with decent time stretching. For now, it doesn't bother me too much. I use Geist a lot and can use REX files in that, and I can also use Melodyne for time stretching. 

The modulation feature is incredible and it's something I asked for in Sonar years ago as a sort of "pipe dream." There are other things that people have repeatedly asked for in Sonar as well, such as track folders in the console. I also love how you can have sub-folders within folders, and you can drill down into those folders in the arranger timeline so that it only shows those tracks in the arrangement window. Little things like that really help your workflow and make working with large, complicated projects much easier. 

It's so much better than Sonar in a lot of ways. Like being able to implement things like multiband or mid/side processing on one track without having to route things to aux tracks. So if I want to apply distortion to a bass but leave everything below 250Hz untouched, I can just insert a device which splits the frequency, and each half has its own FX chain. Same thing with mid/side work. Again, these kind of things really enhance your workflow and help you manage the size and complexity of projects. 

I also love how tracks are just tracks, you can freely mix audio and MIDI on them. 

I bought into Bitwig not just because I think it's an incredible DAW now, which it is, but also because I think it has the potential to become an absolutely unmatched piece of kit in the future. 
2018/01/18 13:05:31
subtlearts
mumpcake
kitekrazy1
mumpcake

Reason is like that.

I think I demo'd Reason around v3.  I thought the racks were kind of cool but sequencing seemed really awkward.

Reason at v10 is a much, much more complete and sophisticated environment than v3, as one might expect. I still wouldn't say it's the absolute greatest sequencing environment ever, but it is a deep and powerful beast, no question, and offers a playful, intuitive approach to modular creativity that nothing else even comes close to - at least, for those of us who remember wiring up a room full of old school electronic gear to do outrageous things. I also think its Blocks feature is very cool and underrated for putting together an arrangement quickly and intuitively but retaining the flexibility to edit the contents of blocks later and have the iterations follow. I know I'm likely in the minority on this, but I find that way - linear composition within song 'chunks' and then take a few steps back and figure out how to arrange the chunks to make the whole thing flow - more intuitive than the Ableton / Bitwig / Matrix view approach. 
2018/01/19 15:54:25
sharke
On their site today:

ANNOUNCING BITWIG STUDIO 2.3

Sometimes Big Updates Come with Small Version Numbers

It’s with great pleasure that we introduce Bitwig Studio 2.3 to the world. With our biggest point update yet we deliver a number of features much requested by the community, alongside hot new things, profoundly expanding the sound design possibilities in Bitwig Studio.
Sink your teeth into Phase-4, our massive new phase manipulation synthesizer, time signature changes, voice stacking capabilities, and gloriously expanded views for seven devices. Additionally, with Bitwig Studio 2.3, we introduce major improvements in time-stretching, including industry-leading Elastique algorithms from zplane. We top things off with two new selector devices, a new modulator, a multitude of improvements, and a sound content update involving renowned sound designers. Scroll down for further details.
Release is planned for the end of February.
The beta testing phase of Bitwig Studio 2.3 starts very soon. All Bitwig Studio 2 license holders will be able to test the new version, and we will send out a newsletter as soon as the beta is available. Stay tuned!

There's some great new features and improvements, but most importantly of all - TIME SIG CHANGES and.......

"We're excited to welcome Zplane Elastique algorithms in four flavors to the party, with full formant control."

Alriiiiight! 
2018/01/19 20:44:00
Kuusniemi
sharke
On their site today:

ANNOUNCING BITWIG STUDIO 2.3

Sometimes Big Updates Come with Small Version Numbers

It’s with great pleasure that we introduce Bitwig Studio 2.3 to the world. With our biggest point update yet we deliver a number of features much requested by the community, alongside hot new things, profoundly expanding the sound design possibilities in Bitwig Studio.
Sink your teeth into Phase-4, our massive new phase manipulation synthesizer, time signature changes, voice stacking capabilities, and gloriously expanded views for seven devices. Additionally, with Bitwig Studio 2.3, we introduce major improvements in time-stretching, including industry-leading Elastique algorithms from zplane. We top things off with two new selector devices, a new modulator, a multitude of improvements, and a sound content update involving renowned sound designers. Scroll down for further details.
Release is planned for the end of February.
The beta testing phase of Bitwig Studio 2.3 starts very soon. All Bitwig Studio 2 license holders will be able to test the new version, and we will send out a newsletter as soon as the beta is available. Stay tuned!

There's some great new features and improvements, but most importantly of all - TIME SIG CHANGES and.......

"We're excited to welcome Zplane Elastique algorithms in four flavors to the party, with full formant control."

Alriiiiight! 

This seems like a big update and looks to contain quite a bit of the stuff people have been asking.
2018/01/19 23:16:04
Resonant Serpent
Time Signature Changes... FINALLY!

The one thing that was holding me back on purchasing has been solved. Woot!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account