2018/01/20 18:45:33
abacab
aidanodr
I have ABLETON 8, never went to 9 as I was happy with SONAR at the time.

During all the panic  I went and stumped for STUDIO ONE v3 .. in a bit of a rush TBH. After I was thinking, for less I could have upgraded to Live 9 and get the 10 for free ( Standard ).

Im sort of regretting the S1 purchase now as I really am not using it much.  

So Im just wondering and considering. How would people balance S1 to Live 9/10? Im thinking of flogging my S1 License before the Ableton offer goes shortly OR should I stick with S1? Thoughts appreciated? Keep in mind I have Live 8 .. not 9/10 yet ..

I'd say keep both.  I have an old full copy of Ableton Live 5, that I just didn't use enough to keep up with the upgrades. Had Acid, Project 5, and Sonar at the time.  

Ableton is very cool however, in that they will still let me upgrade from Live 5 to the latest full version for a modest fee of $159.  Last year I picked up a keyboard that came with a copy of Live Lite 9, and have been playing around with that.  If I use that enough I may consider jumping on the upgrade.

Although it can be, and is used by some as their main kit, for me I would put Live in the category of secondary DAWs.  I think that it is useful as a creativity tool, or idea generator.  For that I also have Tracktion Waveform and a few other things. 

My thinking is that one can never have too many toys, or DAWs... 

But it probably is good to be familiar with one main general DAW for use as your project studio, and I would consider programs such as these up to that task: Sonar, Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, Pro Tools, or Logic.  By this definition, they would be fully featured, and not specialize in a narrow use case, such as live performance, loop based music, or audio stretching, etc.  Not that you don't want that, but you probably need one DAW that can do it all, or at least most of it, when it comes time to complete a project.

Choose one main DAW, then get as many others as you have time to learn.  I believe it is good to know more than one, as some can do things more easily then others.  Hopefully you can find a workflow that suits you. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account