2014/11/21 05:46:08
Paul P

A while back I started reading all posts to the Instruments forum starting from the beginning from November 3, 2005 and going forward.  I just now passed the 1000 post mark, March 2007, so only about 3000 more to go !

The amount of info available is incredible, but it takes some work to extract and organize it.  Many links are dead though some can be recovered with the Wayback Machine and some creative web searching.  Also, the format of links in messages to other Cakewalk forum messages changed a short while ago (to FindPost etc) which changes what used to be a single click into a many step process.

A great big thanks to all that have contributed over the years.  René and b rock deserve high praise, and chad would too probably, if all his posts hadn't been wiped at some point (what happened with that ?).  There're some great teachers among you oldtimers.

I must say it's fun to relive the introductions of the various synths and their updates.  The prices things cost 8 or 9 years ago !  People back then wouldn't have believed what these products go for these days, like Rapture and DimPro on sale for 20$ each !

2014/12/04 19:56:16
b rock
As you can see, this particular forum is a bit different now.  I'm not one to wax nostalgic, but that was one creative period of time.  Lots of direct input from the developers, stacks of new synth releases and updates, inspired experimentation.  There are always going to be TS requests - and maybe it's selective memory on my part - but the proportions were different then.

chad would too probably, if all his posts hadn't been wiped at some point (what happened with that ?).

Yeah, it's as if the forum suffered a Chad mind-wipe as some point.  He put out a great deal of information, diagrams, programming tips ... It may still be out there, but I can never find it.  It happened right around the time he went from Chad Beckwith [Cakewalk] to 'chad'.  In my book, he'll always be both the Gregor Mendel and Victor Frankenstein of .sfz programming.
2014/12/23 05:32:01
zanghue
I understand what you are saying but I think there should be more comments regarding the threat that was initially started so that the pool of thoughts is attracted.  Regards.
2015/01/22 07:12:17
Paul P
soens
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Profile/49484/

That's the new Chad.  Some traces of the old Chad live on in quoted text, but there's very little.
Unfortunately, it's often diagrams that disappeared along with him.

Just got an idea that I don't think I'd tried till now.  I've been using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine for the pieces pointed to in old posts that are no longer in existence, but it hadn't occurred to me to do the same thing for the entire Instruments forum.  Lo and behold, the old Chad lives again !  For example in this thread:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070522023201/http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=704791

(you have to cut and paste the link since the forum software doesn't like compound adresses)

The best thing is that now I can access threads that were started by chad.  Those are completely gone today.
Still no pictures (because they were hosted elsewhere and no longer exist), but better than nothing.

Thanks for the nudge soens.
2015/01/22 08:30:40
chad
Hi,

I don't remember how my posts got deleted, but that is how mind erases work I guess. 
I did manage to dig up some old figures I had made for Rapture:

Multimode oscillators and ring mod:

Stereo Field:

DSP signal flow:

The DSP Signal flow shows just how dated these are.  Back when Rapture only had 4 DSP routing options and the older dedicated DSP transforms.  There are 14 now, and a bakers dozen DSP modes. :)

2015/01/22 08:55:26
Paul P

Thanks Chad !

Just last night I re-watched the original Total Recall and have an idea of how you must feel

2015/01/22 19:31:42
b rock
Those images remind me of how psyched I was when Rapture was in the pre-release hype stage.  They also remind me of when I first "met" Chad:  I busted him on the fact that he was using a non-Cakewalk DAW for screenshots in the fledgling  Cakewalk Instruments forum.  Logic, I believe.

Of course, the new Chad can't remember that after [Chadwalk] went through the destructive editing procedures.
2015/01/23 01:58:29
czyky
There was some serious mojo (like grandpa mojo) that went through here, with the new synths AND with Project 5. (parenthetical to chad and brock: as much as I was awed by Rapture's power, I was floored the first time I went through Universal 120's presets. A supernova indeed.) Sigh.

Paul P., it's a bittersweet story that you read, ripe with promise and then--well....

If only cake had commissioned a few more quality demo tracks, in the vein of "taboo style", to really show off their synths. (They still could. Independently, I offered one to all users back during 8.0/8.5. I suspect most takers found they couldn't even load the 50-synth-track project.) I think there was a contest? Was there Paul? (I am feint-at-heart and dare not to read back through the tomes as do you, Paul-with-the-stalwart-heart.) A celebrity endorsement would have helped. Camel Audio got B.T. (Or is it BT, no periods? I know, today it's "who's BT?" But then, regrettably, it's also who's Camel Audio? Rapture and Dim Pro are still standing, albeit as bullet points.)

Audio, Midi, Synths. It's as if CW could only pick two out of three to promote.

(By the way, I see René has recently resurfaced.)
2015/01/23 08:41:37
Paul P
czyky
There was some serious mojo (like grandpa mojo) that went through here, with the new synths AND with Project 5. (parenthetical to chad and brock: as much as I was awed by Rapture's power, I was floored the first time I went through Universal 120's presets. A supernova indeed.) Sigh.

The mojo is still kind of just floating around for those who'd like to experience it.  A bit of archaeology is involved but worth the effort.

Is there a modern-day forum somewhere in which you electronic music / sound design gods hang out ?  Something like this forum 10 years ago ?

czyky
Independently, I offered one to all users back during 8.0/8.5. I suspect most takers found they couldn't even load the 50-synth-track project.)

I found that and it's just the kind of music I want to be creating as my favourite music is the likes of Tangerine Dream, JM Jarre, Kraftwerk, etc. from the 70's and 80's.  Your music is great.

Here's an example sonar project for the community

I downloaded your project but won't get around to learning from it before I finish my degree in May.  Then it will get the utmost attention.  Thanks for that.

czyky
(By the way, I see René has recently resurfaced.)

That's interesting.  I can't locate him anywhere except his LinkedIn page.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account