• Software
  • Samplitude - my experiences so far (p.4)
2017/12/31 23:21:57
mkerl
S.L.I.P.
mkerl
Demo killed Asio-Driver (Quadcap). 

Deleted

You should be able to change back to the Quad capture. If you can't, this was posted by Jim from Purrfect Audio:

To get rid of the Magix Low Latency ASIO driver:

Go into the Registry...
HKLM>Software>ASIO - delete the Magix Low Latency ASIO driver entry
HKLM>Software>WOW6432Node>ASIO - delete the Magix Low Latency ASIO driver entry

Thank you for your effort, but I decided not to use samp.

Happy new year!
2018/01/01 01:13:50
Zo
If we run the unistaller for samp , isn t it enought to get rid of all this stuff ?
2018/01/01 01:19:31
mkerl
Zo
If we run the unistaller for samp , isn t it enought to get rid of all this stuff ?

No, to clean the registry, you should follow the suggestions given by scook and S.L.I.P.
I use some nice tools to clean the reg.dat, Wise care, regseeker or ccleaner are free and useful. But don't forget to make a backup before :) 

Cheers !
2018/01/01 02:59:46
Larry Jones
cecelius2
Does Samplitude have a means of organizing plugins?  I see that some of the vst's and vsti's are automatically arranged into sub-categories (like Reverb, Dynamics, etc.), but I don't see any way of adding plugins to these categories, nor do I see a way of having a "favorites" category or adding new sub-categories. 

The answer is "no." The only workaround I've seen is to put your plugins into folders in Windows File Explorer. Then they will show up that way in Samplitude. Some kind of plugin manager has been suggested to the developers as a feature request.
2018/01/01 04:41:28
Resonant Serpent
cecelius2
Does Samplitude have a means of organizing plugins?  I see that some of the vst's and vsti's are automatically arranged into sub-categories (like Reverb, Dynamics, etc.), but I don't see any way of adding plugins to these categories, nor do I see a way of having a "favorites" category or adding new sub-categories.

There's a utility for it. Check this thread :

http://support2.magix.net...or-samplitude-sequoia/
2018/01/01 16:40:23
35mm
Larry Jones
I am liking Samplitude, but from a mostly theoretical point of view. I mean, it does a lot, comes with a lot of instruments and effects, and seems to be an all-in-one solution for a bedroom songwriter like me. But it is so freakin' fiddly! Every setting has to be done manually, and there are so many of them! Also, at my age, do I want to look at an interface with fonts so small I'm not always sure what I am seeing, if anything? I used nothing but SONAR for ~20 years, so I know I will have to relearn a lot of things that had become automatic, but this first week with Samplitude has been an awful lot of work!

What resolution/size screen do you have Larry? I have pretty bad eyesight but I hadn't noticed font sizes being a particular issue in Samp. I'm on a 32" 1920 x 1080.

As far as settings go, I have found most of them are set once then left and for most of them, the default is fine. I do like the fact that it's so adaptable though. I'm still getting to grips with it while I work with it, but at least I am able to work in it without the learning curve getting in the way too much.

It's all horses for courses but after the initial WTF moments, I am now enjoying it more than Sonar.
2018/01/01 17:48:57
Zo
Thks guyz for infos ...
2018/01/02 05:49:08
Larry Jones
35mm
What resolution/size screen do you have Larry? I have pretty bad eyesight but I hadn't noticed font sizes being a particular issue in Samp. I'm on a 32" 1920 x 1080.

As far as settings go, I have found most of them are set once then left and for most of them, the default is fine. I do like the fact that it's so adaptable though. I'm still getting to grips with it while I work with it, but at least I am able to work in it without the learning curve getting in the way too much.

It's all horses for courses but after the initial WTF moments, I am now enjoying it more than Sonar.

I'm using two monitors side by side, 1280x1024 each, so effectively 2560x1024. I haven't tried any kind of a fix yet -- still thinking there might be a setting for screen fonts buried somewhere, or maybe in one of the Birdline skins that came with it -- but the labels on the screen elements are too small for me.

As for settings, the defaults have not worked for me. I've had to mess with things that seem as if they should be preset more logically out of the box. I think I have needed more handholding in my first week with Samplitude than in the whole time I have used SONAR. My struggle has become a matter of personal pride, and I am now in "tame-the-beast mode," but if things don't start making sense to me soon, I will have to move on, as I don't have much time left to do what I really want to do, which is write and record new songs.
2018/01/02 16:01:09
200bpm
I was a Samplitude user and was on their upgrade train from 2005 til this past update when I switched to Sonar. 

I owned Pro Suite and had been paying their exorbitant update fees from Samp 7 through X1.  When they came out with  X3, I essentially "lost" all the investment I had made into their suite, and from an upgrade perspective, was lumped in with the lowly "classic" users who were on the lower product tier.  So I had already spent a couple grand and if I wanted X3 Pro Suite it would be something like another $400-500. (Same as if someone was upgrading from the low tier product.) The mentality was, "we are all pro users here, what is $500 for an upgrade?

My thoughts on this $149 pricing is that it's a cash grab before they close the doors. 

A little bit of history about the DAW. 

*10-15 years ago, it absolutely had the best sounding audio engine and audio editing of other DAWs.  It also had an attractive and professional UI.  Other DAWs have caught up and surpassed; very little has been done with the UI.  

*5 years ago, they undertook an OS X port and after a couple years of work, they announced that they were scrapping that project and would remain Windows only.  

* MAGIX had software distribution in major box stores, you could buy their products at Best Buy.  They also had a dedicated pro broadcast audience from prior decade.  Essentially they were selling cheap products and high end pro products.  I don't know if that business model works today. ( The consumer $49 version was actually a mildly scaled down version of Samp and you could absolutely produce music with it, as long as you didn't need advanced audio editing.)

*The online community is about 1/20th the size of Sonars.  Infrequent posts often take days to weeks for anyone to respond.

*Samplitude is a "heavy" app and runs fewer instances of a plugin than does Sonar.

In summary, while they were in the lead in some important areas, the impression was that each upgrade release represented relatively little work.  There would be a few new internal features, but the UI largely stayed the same, and the fiddly nature never changed.

This is a warning to those considering the upgrade.  To fresh eyes, it may seem vibrant and new, but having been with it for years, the feeling (I had) was that it's dying.  I don't see anything about it that would save it from Cakewalk's fate. 

2018/01/02 17:06:00
Jim Roseberry
Magix is a large German software development company.
They do far more than create/sell DAW software... (Graphics, Web-Design, Video Editing, etc)
Just bought Vegas from Sony... so I doubt they're in financial trouble.
Gibson is half a *billion* in debt!  Boggles the mind as to how that was allowed to happen...

IMO, Samplitude's Object based audio editing is still significantly more advanced than most other DAW applications.
The one exception being Reaper (with its Item based editing - which was "cherry-picked" from Samplitude). 
The MIDI side of Samp isn't as advanced as Cubase, but the Piano Roll is nice... and the notation is decent.
I prefer Sonar's GUI, but I can get around Samplitude pretty easily (wrote the English users manual for a earlier version of Samplitude 2496).
One thing I miss in Samplitude (vs Sonar Platinum) is Track Templates.
Simple feature... but what a time-saver

Performance wise, I don't think Samplitude is particularly inefficient.
They implemented a Read-Ahead Performance Cache a *long* time ago... and that dramatically increased performance.  Reaper is the most CPU efficient DAW application.  Sonar Platinum is one of the more efficient DAWs.
By comparison, I find Samplitude's performance to be middle-of-the-road.
Much more efficient than Live (albeit Live's audio engine is focused on other priorities like Warping audio)

If you're a long time Sonar user, no matter which DAW you choose to be your new #1, you're going to make some compromises.  There will be some things you love (gap-less audio engine)... and others that'll leave you scratching your head (no Track Templates).
All the current major DAW applications are capable of amazing results.
It's just a matter of finding the one whose "compromises" best suit your situation. 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account