• Software
  • Sonar to Cubase: A smoother transition (p.3)
2018/01/09 21:10:22
John
  I think if you want a very good notation (score editor) Cubase is the one to get. I mean this as so many Sonar users have requested better scoring in Sonar for a long time. Here is where Cubase has no peer. 

2018/01/09 22:08:00
cparmerlee
CakeAlexSHere
Anybody care to list some more? That way I can compare holes.

Comparing SONAR to Cubase, I really haven't found anything else (besides the inability to use Melodyne as it is intended) that has caused me any great difficulty.  Everything else I have wanted to do, I am able to get Cubase to work.  Overall, I'd say Cubase is very feature rich, but not as intuitive as other products.
2018/01/09 22:20:17
bwbalint
I am not so convinced Cubase 9.5 is so great.  I have only tried it out for several weeks with minimal sized projects and already I have had to trash the preferences file twice to get the MediaBay from freezing up after a simple selection.  Seems that adding content files to 'my Favorites' in the MediaBay gets Cubase in a tizzy.  A complete reboot is necessary after each of these 'Cubase' freezes, and Windows10 Task Manager doesn't help as the program cannot be 'ended.'  And after 10 days there is no response from the Steinberg help desk other than the obligatory 'we got your request' response.  A Steinberg forum member did clue me in on allowing Cubase rebuild the preference file, but there seems to be something else going on as it has now happened twice in a very short time.  

I can say that Sonar crashed on me a hand full of times in over 5 years, and usually it was associated with using Melodyne with too large a clip.  Samplitude PROX3 has also been very stable on my system. 

the biggest thing I will miss once the Cakewalk servers go down is this forum.  Members have been very helpful.    
2018/01/09 23:28:02
bapu
bwbalint

the biggest thing I will miss once the Cakewalk servers go down is this forum.  Members have been very helpful.    

We are trying to build a community of non-centric DAW users over at www.beyondcakewalk.com. We have a little over 500 registered users now. 

As implied, we are not supporting only one DAW but have sub-forums for pretty much all the known players (and we are willing to add more if requested). 

Check it out sometime.
2018/01/09 23:29:12
bapu
Oh yeah, if you into spending money endlessly we have cclarry over there maintaining the Deals forum.
2018/01/10 00:12:31
cparmerlee
bapu
We are trying to build a community of non-centric DAW users over at www.beyondcakewalk.com. We have a little over 500 registered users now.

I tried to create an account and got a message that the creation failed in an attempt to check me versus a spammer database.  Did I mention that I have a very well connected friend in the Nigerian royalty who loves that website and wants to fund it with a gift of $10 million, if you can help him get the money out of Nigeria by sending a $10,000 money order to pay the export license?
2018/01/10 00:42:59
bvideo
Cubase:

1. I had a mediabay crash too; I haven't even installed content yet.
2. The Cubase patch/bank selection mechanism is awesome & beyond Sonar. It is able to do non-standard bank changes, e.g. for my modified D-50 (MEX). But it requires editing an obscure xml file.
3. Looks like Cubase sysex bank handling may not be so good. Manual says you can only edit & save the 1st block of a sysex dump. All my Rolands dump multiple blocks. Sonar has a great sysex view, a librarian if you will, and has a big list of common dump requests and a way to enter new ones.
2018/01/10 01:03:00
bapu
cparmerlee
bapu

I tried to create an account and got a message that the creation failed in an attempt to check me versus a spammer database.  Did I mention that I have a very well connected friend in the Nigerian royalty who loves that website and wants to fund it with a gift of $10 million, if you can help him get the money out of Nigeria by sending a $10,000 money order to pay the export license?

Done.

We were getting spammers so we added a "Stop Forum Spam" plugin to the forum.

FWIW We have had users successfully create accounts after we installed that plugin.

If you PM me here I can get you into the system "manually".

2018/01/10 07:57:35
Frank-US
cparmerlee

And it would also be nice to have an article listing the things where Cubase is lacking.  That would at least let the potential customers know you are aware of the difference and you might suggest a work-around.  For example, lack of ARA support is a biggie.

Had a small meeting yesterday about this subject and I can confirm that ARA support is on our "must have" list.
I can't give you a specific date though, but it will come.
Cheers,
Frank
2018/01/10 13:46:31
joegab
Dear Frank,

do you have any news regarding the two issues that some people pointed out?

1 - Cubase shouldn't mute the track while recording on it?
2 - Cubase shouldn't mute overlapping takes in lanes?

Thanks a lot for your support,

regards,

Giorgio
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account