• Software
  • Sonar to Cubase: A smoother transition (p.4)
2018/01/10 14:14:41
Frank-US
joegab
Dear Frank,

do you have any news regarding the two issues that some people pointed out?

1 - Cubase shouldn't mute the track while recording on it?
2 - Cubase shouldn't mute overlapping takes in lanes?

Thanks a lot for your support,

regards,

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio,
Point 1) is under investigation. There is no discussion if this makes sense or not. It does make sense. It is rather a technical question.
Point 2) is under discussion. While it is clear that a crossfade on one track makes sense, it is questionable how long that range could/should be. There are people having doubts (to say the least) that more than a crossfade is the right thing to do.
Allowing two different clips, each with it's own volume/energy on one track must have an impact on loudness or inserted dynamics of that track. While the discussion is not finalized yet, I share these doubts.
A different story is, that for some the current impementation of crossfades does not work. That has to be observed.

Best,
Frank
2018/01/10 14:23:47
joegab
Thank you Frank.

Let's see in the future what will happen....

Bye, (and, really, thanks a lot for your support, it is much appreciated!!!!).

Giorgio

2018/01/11 00:42:25
bwbalint
just an update.  I did receive a response after 10 days from the Steinberg help desk regarding Cubase's non-responsiveness when selecting items from the MediaBay.  the suggestion was to do a 'safe-start,' and then start with the standard preferences, and see what happens.  

I did start Cubase like that and I will now slowly add some folders to the 'my Favorites' section of MediaBay, and report back.  
2018/01/13 13:13:44
bwbalint
And slowly add folders for Cubase to scan it must be! I probably have about 20,000 wave, midi, rx2 files. Found that if I added less than 2000 at a time for MediaBay to scan everything went ok. And then after having scanned those, I found that Cubase had to be shut down and restarted in order to properly write the MediaBay3.db and associated preference files. To just keep adding files without shutting down, even if the others were scanned, caused Cubase to become non-responsive.

It took quite a while, but once I found Cubase had to be shut down after the scan cycle, everything went smoothly. I could even add ‘my Favorites’ tabs for quick access in MediaBay. Still waiting to hear back from Steinberg help as their first generic response didn’t help.

One thing I do like about Sonar is dragging a clip into the Browser created a file automatically. I have not tried this in Cubase. I will back up all the preference files before I do.
2018/01/13 17:35:53
anydmusic
bwbalint
And slowly add folders for Cubase to scan it must be! I probably have about 20,000 wave, midi, rx2 files. Found that if I added less than 2000 at a time for MediaBay to scan everything went ok. And then after having scanned those, I found that Cubase had to be shut down and restarted in order to properly write the MediaBay3.db and associated preference files. To just keep adding files without shutting down, even if the others were scanned, caused Cubase to become non-responsive.

It took quite a while, but once I found Cubase had to be shut down after the scan cycle, everything went smoothly. I could even add ‘my Favorites’ tabs for quick access in MediaBay. Still waiting to hear back from Steinberg help as their first generic response didn’t help.

One thing I do like about Sonar is dragging a clip into the Browser created a file automatically. I have not tried this in Cubase. I will back up all the preference files before I do.

I have directories with tens of thousands of files and have not seen this issue.
2018/01/13 18:10:18
bwbalint
anydmusic
bwbalint

I have directories with tens of thousands of files and have not seen this issue.

That is good.  I would have loved having whatever in your system so that MediaBay would just have functioned correctly from the start. 

In the Cubase forum, there are a number of varied reports of similar non-responsiveness when using MediaBay.

Perhaps there is some other way to document the march toward non-responsiveness, but there weren't any crash dumps, as it wasn't a crash per-se. Some setting, somewhere perhaps.  
2018/01/13 18:57:26
anydmusic
bwbalint
anydmusic
bwbalint
And slowly add folders for Cubase to scan it must be! I probably have about 20,000 wave, midi, rx2 files. Found that if I added less than 2000 at a time for MediaBay to scan everything went ok. ...

That is good.  I would have loved having whatever in your system so that MediaBay would just have functioned correctly from the start. ...

This is one of the mysteries of using a PC and what being on a Mac is supposed to fix. The myriad of different hardware and driver combinations coupled with the various software options that we have results in different usability experiences for us all. You think its frustrating as a user try imagining it from a developers perspective trying to find a bug that does not occur on any system that you have access to.

Its why seemingly pointless actions often fix problems a couple of favourites being update the video drivers or reinstall the program. 

Of course the point here is that it is not always the program that is to blame.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account