• Software
  • Tell me about Samplitude (p.18)
2017/12/23 19:30:38
rsinger
I like that Samplitude doesn't dock the mixer and plugins. With Sonar I am basically forced to have it take up the whole desktop. Working with Samplitude I keep the arranger/vip window the size I want and when I have the mixer/plugins open I can move them where I want. I don't know why docking is considered more advanced
2017/12/23 22:34:55
BENT
soens

Was told to use the "red X" in the righthand corner. Just click the FX again to call it back. ...or get a 3rd monitor just for plugins.

Thanks soens, but I can't see a "red X" anywhere! Right hand corner of what?

As for monitors I've used two 24" side by side and a 20" above them for years now (Only way to fly)
I put every thing possible in the multidock on the 20" and use my mouse wheel left and right click or F11 / F12 to scroll back and forth. It's a supper fast way to get around and I'm missing it horribly.

At the moment I'm really struggling to build an effective workflow and just want an excuse to go back to Splat, then I think of being half way through a project in Splat and................. "BANG"
2017/12/24 01:32:47
soens
The Close button.
2017/12/24 01:35:21
soens
bitflipper
SONAR was over 30 years old at the time of its death. Some construe that advanced age as a negative, through some convoluted logic peppered with the misunderstood term "legacy code". Samplitude is, by comparison, still a youngster at age 27.

True, but in terms of full fledged DAW Sonar is much younger as it was MIDI only to begin with.
2018/01/10 14:09:25
MimoJP
Hi!

I'm late to this topic ... still totally overwhelmed by DAWs since all those "cross-grade" offers.
The full Magix package has been installed (or so I thought) but when I tried some baby steps with it now, (inserting a VSTi to a track), I tried that "Independence" thingy, which then started to initiate downloading _huge_ files like currently:
"Downloading component 3565 from 3639 ... Image file 02.ytif ..." 290MB of 1776 MB - remaining 256 h (I'm on fiber connection!)

By scooping this topic here, I noticed comments about reputation and quality of said product (I've not gone through all of these pages though). So I would like to ask if there is anybody who can recommend if downloading all this is worth it or not. 
Thanks much in advance for your help.

Cheers
2018/01/10 15:00:17
fwrend
MimoJP
So I would like to ask if there is anybody who can recommend if downloading all this is worth it or not. 

Hi Mimo, this really depends on 1. what you have, 2. what you want/need, and 3. what you'll use.

For me (sadly, I tend to be a hoarder and collect all that I have access to), I will initially download and store everything that comes with what I buy - as I can always uninstall and/or install at a later date.

The sounds are very usable but like others who have commented in other threads, it is an older set and this particular set is tied to Samplitude, i.e. not usable in other DAWs without first purchasing the license.  See HERE

BTW, really enjoyed listening to your YT uploads which I assume are your compositions.  It looks to me that you have a nice set of VSTi's already so again, only you can make the decision WRT my initial statement.

Blessings!
2018/01/10 15:25:51
emwhy
After a week of Samplitude here's what I can tell you. It's a very DEEP program in terms of what you can tweak. I think it's about on par with Sonar and Studio One with regard to overall performance, but I did notice a few differences. In SPLAT when running Kontakt and other CPU heavy vsts like Arturia's analog stuff it was better to have the multi CPU options enabled in those plug-ins. Without that SPLAT would show uneven use of the system cores when the CPU monitor was set to "System". However the opposite was true in Samplitude. Disabling the multi core support in Kontakt and allowing the host to do handle the scheduling evened things out with the cores. Same was true for Studio One. This is on an i7 from about 5 years ago, 4 cores with 4 more virtual cores running the latest version of Windows 10 16 gigs of RAM. I've had some crashes, but it's worth noting that what causes crashes in SPLAT causes crashes in other DAWS. The biggest culprit is Drumagog especially when using it's plug-in hosting feature. It doesn't happen all the time, but it has taken down SPLAT, Studio One, Samplitude, and yes even Reaper. I also have an occasional crash when dragging in MIDI files related to rex files from NI Battery in from the media browser. This has also happened in all the DAWS mentioned above.

Overall, I like Samplitude because unlike Studio One it allows 3rd party audio editors like Adobe Audition and Soundforge. Reaper does as well and setting them up in those 2 programs is easier than in SPLAT. The Object editing feature is great and gives some nice mixing possibilities. I also think their audio quantize is way better and more efficient than Audio Snap. Never was a fan of how that was implemented in any version of Sonar. I've done some basic mixes, but at this point will hold off on any judgements on how the audio engine sounds. Samplitude doesn't yet allow track templates, except on the master bus, a bit of an annoyance. But they do have a built-in stereo imager on the master bus which gives mixes a nice width and depth without having to use a 3rd party vst.

As much as I like Samplitude thus far, I still think that if you check back with me in about 18 months, I'll be on Reaper. To me it's about one more solid update away which I'm told will be happening this year. If they add ARA integration and beef up the MIDI functions it will be my next DAW. It's the most CPU friendly of the pack by far, it's main setback being that it's very hard to just dive right in and start. I also do think that the folks at Reaper borrowed some ideas from  Samplitude with some of the functions, but most DAWS "borrow" from each other these days.

2018/01/10 15:36:50
MimoJP
Hi Wren,

fwrend
MimoJP
So I would like to ask if there is anybody who can recommend if downloading all this is worth it or not. 

Hi Mimo, this really depends on 1. what you have, 2. what you want/need, and 3. what you'll use.

For me (sadly, I tend to be a hoarder and collect all that I have access to), I will initially download and store everything that comes with what I buy - as I can always uninstall and/or install at a later date.

The sounds are very usable but like others who have commented in other threads, it is an older set and this particular set is tied to Samplitude, i.e. not usable in other DAWs without first purchasing the license.  See

BTW, really enjoyed listening to your YT uploads which I assume are your compositions.  It looks to me that you have a nice set of VSTi's already so again, only you can make the decision WRT my initial statement.

Thanks much for the speedy input!
I would not find hoarding any sad and can agree with that easily. Especially with the case at hand, less than 200 bucks and an immense flow of software was offered with this product.

1. What I have is plenty of the good stuff (I usually web search and get the best bangforbuck according to these results) - Keys: gospelmusicians.com, Winds: samplemodeling.com, Guitar/Bass: orangetreesamples.com, Analogs: Arturia.com.
In more detail, for example as for "Fender Stratocaster" sound, I purchased maybe about four different products but all of these have different approaches to get the best sound out of it. 

2. What I want is something that would top the products in 1.)

3. What I'll use is a.) what sounds best, b.) is user friendly.

Coming back to my original question ... I would find it weird if products with that huge download size won't sound super great (none of above mentioned products took that long to download). But I can't of course judge that before they are downloaded and I can take a listen on them.

And since you guys here have surely much more experience with that, I asked about opinions. :D
Thanks again for chiming in!

Cheers,
Mimo

2018/01/10 17:13:59
35mm
MimoJP
Hi Wren,

fwrend
MimoJP

The sounds are very usable but like others who have commented in other threads, it is an older set and this particular set is tied to Samplitude, i.e. not usable in other DAWs without first purchasing the license.  See

Thanks much for the speedy input!
I would not find hoarding any sad and can agree with that easily. Especially with the case at hand, less than 200 bucks and an immense flow of software was offered with this product.

1. What I have is plenty of the good stuff (I usually web search and get the best bangforbuck according to these results) - Keys: gospelmusicians.com, Winds: samplemodeling.com, Guitar/Bass: orangetreesamples.com, Analogs: Arturia.com.
In more detail, for example as for "Fender Stratocaster" sound, I purchased maybe about four different products but all of these have different approaches to get the best sound out of it. 

2. What I want is something that would top the products in 1.)

3. What I'll use is a.) what sounds best, b.) is user friendly.

Coming back to my original question ... I would find it weird if products with that huge download size won't sound super great (none of above mentioned products took that long to download). But I can't of course judge that before they are downloaded and I can take a listen on them.

And since you guys here have surely much more experience with that, I asked about opinions. :D
Thanks again for chiming in!

Cheers,
Mimo

I have only briefly tried out Independence after downloading all the content. It seems pretty good. I read about others raving about it. The time left indicator on the downloader gives false results. It won't really take that long, but it is about 70Gb of content!
2018/01/11 14:02:16
MimoJP
Back, I am ... and happy at that :-)

Just to update on the matter, the Independence Libraries download finished after more than 24h and ... I must say I'm impressed! Not only by the final size of ~68.8 GB but also by the sheer amount of interesting sounds.

For example I hadn't expected to find a "Aborigines Telephone" in there - even funnier as I just recently watched my recorded Dundee film.
A quick browsing through some of the folders revealed plenty of high quality sounds and probably enough to have me busy through the year :-)

Thanks again for chiming in and your kind advices.

Cheers,
Mimo

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account