• Software
  • Tell me about Samplitude (p.3)
2017/12/13 20:59:51
scook
I learned something with the update..save your workspace. But I needed to get more familiar with workspaces anyway.

Since working on the plug-in layout the first thing I noticed with the update was the VST3 Delay/Reverb menu moved from VST FX to the VST3 area. I would have expected it to be appended to the Delay/Reverb menu above the VST3 FX area.

edit: restart and the menu moved where it should be.
2017/12/13 21:09:10
bitflipper
John
...If you have as I do a lot of MIDI hardware Cubase is more suitable...

Could you expand on that thought? Are we talking control surfaces, hardware sequencers, outboard modules?

All I need is MIDI IN and MIDI OUT.

That, and of course, a good multi-track MIDI editor. Samplitude's PRV seems as good as any I've seen so far, including SONAR's. Although I'm told Cubase has that nailed, too. 

2017/12/13 21:15:22
bitflipper
Q: Does the Samplitude license allow installation on two computers?

2017/12/13 21:31:46
scook
From p28 of the manual

Note:
Please make sure to keep your serial number in a safe place. If you lose it, you
will not be able to activate the product again. Substantial changes to the hardware
configuration of your system may require reactivation. You can activate the product
a total of three times. If you wish to active the product more than three times, you
need to contact our support team.

There is a confirming thread on the forum where Kraznet indicates this could be 3 different PCs.
2017/12/13 21:50:39
bitflipper
Thanks. I'd want to install it on my laptop, since I'd hate for my business trips to be wasted on, well, business.
2017/12/13 22:01:40
bitflipper
Track folders? I've not seen any in the videos...

{EDIT}
Never mind. They call them "folder tracks", not "track folders".
2017/12/13 22:16:58
bitflipper
Anything like VocalSync in Samplitude?
2017/12/13 22:49:07
John
dappa1
You seem to be enjoying Cubase 9.5 John. Likewise I am enjoying Studio One 3 We moving from Cakewalk seems to be a good thing as its always good to inject creativity into your art. I would probably have gone Cubase as I had it before and was quite comfy in it. But their offspring Studio One 3 is nice enough has a similar feel but lighter.

Totally true.  I have had Studio One for some time.
2017/12/13 23:12:13
John
bitflipper
John
...If you have as I do a lot of MIDI hardware Cubase is more suitable...

Could you expand on that thought? Are we talking control surfaces, hardware sequencers, outboard modules?

All I need is MIDI IN and MIDI OUT.

That, and of course, a good multi-track MIDI editor. Samplitude's PRV seems as good as any I've seen so far, including SONAR's. Although I'm told Cubase has that nailed, too. 

Dave I'm talking about hardware MIDI synths. Like an XV 5080. I also have an SC 8850 and a DR 770. Cubase has scripts for patch names as Sonar has instrument def. files. I think over all Cubase supports hardware better then any other DAW. If this is not a consideration other DAWs are darn good too. Heck even Reaper is good at this too. I just can't stand it.  That is on me only. No one else should have that view just because I do.

My old Cubase SX 3 was very powerful yet Sonar had a better or easier way to route audio. Sonar still has a better audio routing then Cubase 9.5. However,  it can emulate many Sonar abilities.  None the less I miss the busing in Sonar. 

Recording MIDI in Cubase is simple and easy. Recording audio is fair but nowhere as easy as in Sonar.

Though in Cubase inputs are able to print FX on incoming audio. At lease I think it can. 

Personally I think there is no true replacement for Sonar. However as Dappa pointed out we can look at this as an opportunity to find new and perhaps better ways of working with MIDI and audio. 

One point is Sonar was able to work well with any Windows audio driver. You will find that is not the case with many other DAWs. Cubase wants ASIO plain and simple.

I should add Cubase 9.5 has some good user control over the look and workspace. It a lot more customizable than it used to be. There are ways to have a much greater number of colors for tracks too. 

Still, I am hoping that someone somewhere decides to keep Cakewalk going. I know that will not happen yet I still hope.
2017/12/13 23:41:26
soens
I think it has the cleanest looking GUI out of all DAWs I've tried. Mixer console has stacked/collapsible modules as opposed to Sonar's click the menu to show/hide each module.

It has customizable themes like Sonar. Unlike Sonar all the graphic files are in a folder easy to get to with editable INI files to boot. One theme maker even has his own theme editor for about $30.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account