• Software
  • Tell me about Samplitude (p.4)
2017/12/13 23:52:51
bitflipper
OK, John, gotcha. Yeh, instrument definitions were a big deal to me when I used outboard ROMplers a lot. But my Yamaha got stolen, so now I just have a Kurzweil (it was bolted into the rack so that's why it wasn't stolen) and a KORG Kronos. Instrument defs don't help much with the Kronos, since I move patches around often and there are literally thousands of them. It'd be like trying to make an instrument definition file for Omnisphere.

Of course Cubase only likes ASIO. It's their own creation. But pretty much every DAW seems to prefer ASIO nowadays. Even Cantabile, which isn't even a DAW, defaults to it. So does Samplitude.

A local SONAR user and forum member has recently switched to Cubase. I've told him I expect a demonstration once he gets comfortable with it. He might be able to change my mind, but at the moment Samplitude seems to be the top contender as a second marriage.

2017/12/14 01:04:08
rsinger
bitflipper
Q: Does the Samplitude license allow installation on two computers?

The EULA says it's based on the serial number and my serial numbers specify 2 (I think). I've installed it on my DAW, but not my laptop so I can't verify that.

2017/12/14 01:51:36
kitekrazy1
bitflipper
Q: Does the Samplitude license allow installation on two computers?

3  The included Sony products allow 2.  The Independence libraries can only be used in Samplitude.
2017/12/14 01:57:06
kitekrazy1
telecharge
I didn't know MAGIX has/had a sketchy reputation. I think their bread and butter is on the consumer side, and yes, there are restrictions/fees for using their consumer products and content commercially.

My nickel review is: Interface isn't very modern looking by comparison, instruments are average/effects are good with lots of both. plug-in management and organization is lacking, but compatibility is excellent.

I'm happy to try to answer any specific questions, but I am new to Pro X3 Suite/SpectraLayers (not new to Samplitude).

Only from their Music Maker series.  They got bad review from CM. The free version people had difficulty with authorizing.

It's night and day from Samplitude. I would have never known that when I got Samplitude Studio 6 at one time.

2017/12/14 02:01:46
kitekrazy1
telecharge
I think another thing that contributes to MAGIX reputation is how they acquire other software companies, then recycle the software without developing it. It's not completely true, as evidenced by Sound Forge Audio Studio 12, but that is a complaint I've seen from Yellowtools and Sony Creative software users.

It seems with Soundforge they changed the paint.  Supposedly that brought some of the Sony development team with them.

As for Yellow Tools, I wonder if that 38 page thread on KVR still exists about how bad they were. To me they are the shining example of developers spending more time on locking down their product instead of improving it.
2017/12/14 04:57:16
35mm
I'm fairly sure Samplitude supports instrument definitions. I haven't tried that out but it has substantial support for external controllers, external instruments, and external effects.
2017/12/14 15:27:30
bitflipper
Well, I decided I didn't really need that new string library I've been lusting after, so I put those saved pennies toward Samplitude instead. Downloading now...this will take awhile, I think, at 221 KB/s. Hopefully, I'll get it installed in time for the weekend.
2017/12/14 15:41:27
Mesh
bitflipper
Well, I decided I didn't really need that new string library I've been lusting after, so I put those saved pennies toward Samplitude instead. Downloading now...this will take awhile, I think, at 221 KB/s. Hopefully, I'll get it installed in time for the weekend.

Very nice Bit!!
I'm almost there as well and planning on getting it this weekend. Your posts/reviews/questions/advice weighed heavily on my decision.....

2017/12/14 17:26:59
raisindot
Another Samplitude MIDI question, since I picked up the deal (mainly for Sound Forge), and am looking at Cubase as the "other" option. 

I compose mainly in MIDI using external sound modules, with the occasional VST. 

One feature I must have in any DAW I switch to is the equivalent of SPLAT's MIDI Event list and "Event Filters." I use this extensively to "search and replace" notes for things like MIDI rhythm tracks from from my Yamaha MOXF6. Or to fix tiny timing errors (easier to do than using the PRV as far as I'm concerned). 

As far as I can tell, Studio One doesn't have such functionality (looks like you can view MIDI events, but not search and replace them). Cubase does have an Event list and a very sophisticated Event Filter like feature. 

Does anyone know is Samplitude has such a feature? I'd like to know before I go through the hassle of installing it. Also, does it have great MIDI editing and effects capabilities (like the great quantize features CW has?)

If it can do 95% of what Sonar does MIDI-wise, I'm ready to give a seriously look as my "other" DAW. 

2017/12/14 17:32:31
DaveClark
Kuusniemi
DaveClark
That's a way of saying that I found Samplitude much easier to use for my work than SONAR.  Frankly, I think most people would.

Nitpicking, but this is statement that one can't simply make. Simply too many ways of doing things and if even most people would find the same things good then we would not have such a variety of DAWs to choose from. :)

Carry on then, don't mind me griping.

It's an opinion, not a "statement that one can't simply make."  It may be true, or it may be false, but I have every right to state my opinion.  I'll state it again: If there was a contest between Samplitude and SONAR, I think most people would agree that Samplitude is easier for their work.  There are quite a number of reasons why I say this, but I have better things to do than explain how I come to this conclusion.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account