• Software
  • Tell me about Samplitude (p.6)
2017/12/15 02:51:04
mikedocy
Bit is going to have it all figured out by Sunday evening and be able to answer all our questions.
<humor and happiness to all>

2017/12/15 02:52:51
mikedocy
Beagle
I've been considering it as well.
does samplitude have an equivalent to Audio Snap?

Yes. It has very good audio snap. You can quantize recorded acoustic drums, etc.
From the manual:

"Quantization Audio Quantization Wizard  The quantization wizard also lets you apply the functions described above for transients and beat marker editing. These commands reflect the typical work process when adjusting a multitrack drum recording to the VIP grid and are applied to object selection. The "One click button" automatically executes the "Determine transients", "Consolidate transients", "Cut at transients", "Quantize object positions (AQ)", and "Remove gaps between objects" commands sequentially. During determination of transients, you can set the sensitivity of the detection with the "Sensitivity" controller. The higher the value, the more beat markers are created. Use the "Analyze again" and "Clear" buttons to recalculate or delete an already created audio material analysis.   If you would like to connect the slices you have created to crossfades, then enter the length of the fade into the respective field "Overlap (crossfade) length". Individual gaps between objects may be closed either by Object Time Stretching or by using the audio material from the slices to the right beside the gap.  Define transients Audio quantizing objects is particularly well suited for modifying multi track drum recordings.
  664    www.magix-audio.com "F3" and "F2" allow you to jump to the next or previous transients in the audio signal. By quantizing the VIP object position and dividing objects at beat markers/transient positions you have the option to perform highly flexible dynamic drum quantizations. All following commands refer to selected objects and can also be accessed using the Audio quantization wizard. "Specify transients" marks the peaks of the selected objects as "AQ" with special beat markers. A beat marker is an audio object marker, which is written into the audio file. To make these markers visible, turn on "Objects -> Transients (AQ)" ("Shift + Tab"). All other audio markers may be displayed via "Objects -> Audio markers".  Detailed information about audio markers can be found under "Menu > Play/Rec > Markers > Audio markers". Consolidate Transients Transients within a certain range (e.g. 20 ms) are moved to the first transient position with this command. The effect is that "Split at transients" doesn't create too many splices, especially if you have several tracks with slightly different transient positions for the same drum hit, i.e. due to microphone distance related signal latency. The time window may be specified with the audio quantization wizard. Create Groove "Create groove" button in the audio quantization wizard creates a groove template based on the AQ markers (transients) according to the selected audio objects in the selected range."
2017/12/15 03:19:15
bitflipper
OK, I finally got it installed (aborted the instruments download) and had a couple hours to play. So far it's going well. As others have commented, it is very snappy, especially when restoring a saved project with Kontakt instruments. (Must save an image, because I don't even see the nki's loading - they're just instantly there.)

I'm embarrassed to admit that it took me an hour to figure out how to float the MIDI editor and Transport windows! Sheesh, that's a bizarre scheme. But of course it makes sense - once you crack the code.

My own presumptions were making me run in circles, assuming there had to be a button or a context menu. Like SONAR does. Sometimes, you just have to set aside everything you know. Not just the SONAR way of doing things but also Windows and general UI conventions.

Maybe I've just gotta think like a German!

Or maybe not. I lived in Germany for over two years and never got any of their jokes.
2017/12/15 03:26:32
scook
When you get a layout that you like, make sure to save it as a workspace.
2017/12/15 03:34:02
bitflipper
Good tip. Thanks.
2017/12/15 03:43:00
scook
Took me a while to get used to the plug-in layout. It finally dawned on me it is similar to the old Default - All Plug-ins layout. VST3 sorted by Category and VST2 sorted by directory layout. The spin on it are the fixed MAGiX plug-in layouts at the top of the menu. They have third party VST3 categories embedded in them. At least they are all correct as of the most recent update.

I have been playing around with writing a program to manage the layout. What can be done is a little limited because of the way the VSTPlugins.ini is read by the program. Not sure if my program will get finished. Really hoping MAGIX adds a process to create custom layouts.
2017/12/15 03:50:46
mikedocy
 It sure is a lot of fun learning a new daw!

2017/12/15 04:04:37
kennywtelejazz
When bit starts a thread he brings out people that have a deep thought process .

I'm enjoying reading this thread ....

that's all I want to say for now ...I don't want to embarrass myself ,

Kenny

2017/12/15 04:27:50
InstrEd
Is the automation still imposed on the track or is it now able to be in lanes?
I didn't see it at Samplitude's web page nor on youtube videos if that has been added.

2017/12/15 05:55:45
Rbh
I've used Independence for a number of years - basically as a Rompler with minor editing, and I think a good 90% of the samples and patches are usable for finished production work. ( not sure how to describe it  but -there is very little hype in their selection ).The biggest problem with Yellow Tools was their kluge installation schemes. The Library itself is top notch and has very deep editing. One of the best and most unique features in Independence is that it will host VST'I  - you can do true synth stacks right inside Independence. From what I can tell - it will not host multy-timbral - multy-output synths - only single stereo or mono output synths. Samplitude has very good sounding effects and mastering tools. They don't look as nice graphically as UAD or whatever else looks the pertiest these days - but they are solid and well designed. The 149.00 deal is a true no-brainer ( it is a 1200.00 + deal ). I was going to upgrade from Pro X2  and get the rest - but I don't want to download and there seems there's no more offering for the boxed version. I like Sonar far better for the type of work I do, but Samplitude does have a great sound quality to it.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account