• Software
  • Tell me about Samplitude (p.7)
2017/12/15 06:59:22
Hill62
I really appreciate Bit and scook's input. Kraz's videos look very good. I write/record guitar/bass/vocals audio and midi for everything else. Looks like a solid DAW and too good of a deal to pass on. All the other DAW deals look like they will continue to have similar pricing in 6 or 12 months, so if Sonar has deprecated and Samp isn't what I hoped for...

I certainly respect and appreciate Bitflipper and scook's contributions to Sonar forums over the years, and now with the unexpected dilemma of having to consider another DAW it is helpful again. Thanks guys, as well as others who have contributed.

My father introduced me to Cakewalk in 2009. He made his living recording and performing live and it was a go to for him. He passed away 2 days after Cakewalk's announcement and wasn't aware...it was a bit ironic.  I didn't find out about Sonar until that same day. I feel a lot of loss from that week, musically my go to's are missing and music would usually be a source of comfort to help me get through it. Quite a life adjustment. Nice to see regulars from this community helping everyone out. Helps fill the holes in my soul a bit.

Cheers to cherished memories and new beginnings. Thanks and happy holidays.
2017/12/15 08:10:32
mkerl
soens
bitflipper
Maybe I've just gotta think like a German!

Or maybe not. I lived in Germany for over two years and never got any of their jokes.

At least you knew they were joking, right?!

(Or were they?!)

:-)

Teutones? Never ever 
2017/12/15 12:29:04
35mm
I'm hoping that between us all we can move some of the wonderful Cake community friendliness over to the Sampliquoia forums. They are friendly but a little quiet compared to here. Perhaps us lot can give it the nudge it needs :)

The forums are the ones here, and not the ones on the main Magix consumer site.
2017/12/15 12:50:15
Mesh
35mm
I'm hoping that between us all we can move some of the wonderful Cake community friendliness over to the Sampliquoia forums. They are friendly but a little quiet compared to here. Perhaps us lot can give it the nudge it needs :)

Seeing that quite a few Cakewalker's are jumping on aboard, I'm sure we'll take this vibrant/active/great community and just "liven up" that place.  
2017/12/15 12:53:05
soens
I've read that it doesn't support instrument definitions. Default GM list is hardwired into the exe code. One post says you can build lists manually but doesn't explain. Another comment was to use Midiquest ($149+) to map synths if yours is included. This is a basic requirement for me.
2017/12/15 13:46:57
bitflipper
soens
At least you knew they were joking, right?!

Most of the time, I think. 

I did discern one thing: the idea Germans don't get puns is a myth. One old guy made a pun on my surname (Townsend), something like "Wenn du ein tausend bist, ich bin eine Million!" OK, so maybe not a great pun. But I was encouraged. He also gave me pearls of poetic folk wisdom: "Hast du Hashish in der tasche, hast du immer etwas zu nasche."

(Pardon my rusty grammar; it's been awhile.)
2017/12/15 13:56:21
raisindot
bitflipper
Samplitude does have an event list, and it's even better-implemented than SONAR's. I haven't used it yet, but I've watched a video on it and it looks like you can do everything there that you could do in SONAR's event view.

I'm still waiting on my download, so all I know is what I've seen in Kraznet's (excellent) tutorials. But I've watched all the MIDI tutorials and haven't noticed anything Samplitude's MIDI editor can't do. The PRV looks a lot like SONAR's.

Okay so I did install it and looked at the video. It indeed has an event editor, but in terms of emulation Sonar's "search and replace" event filter it doesn't seem to do it. You can use display filters to limit what you see and then I guess copy all isolated events (such as a note) in that event and then change them, but to me is a more laborious process than Sonar.

However, given that I've already paid for the thing, and that every time I switch on my Cubase demo I find it more and more baffling, I'm now learning toward just using Samplitude rather than Cubase as my "fall back" DAW that I'll switch to if and when I can no longer use SPLAT. 
2017/12/15 14:11:20
bitflipper
35mm

Thanks for that. I was disappointed to find that I was initially barred from the Magix forum because I was not a registered user. That requirement has been suggested here, to keep out the riffraff, but I never supported the idea. It's such a great way for prospective users to kick the tires.

Studio One made my short list largely on the strength of its great forum (not coincidentally, I suspect, populated by many SONAR ex-pats). Reaper also has a lively forum, even if its SNR is a bit lower than I'd prefer.

Quality is pretty good at the Samplitude forum but it's a quiet neighborhood compared to this place. Heck, even kraznet himself, Mr. Samplitude, has only 5,000 posts. (Hah! says bapu.) Good to see a celebrity such as Bob Ohlsson there. Talk about a brain worth picking.
2017/12/15 15:02:02
Snehankur
Reading all your posts/advice I have just availed the $149 offer.
I have downloaded the 4 MB Installer.
But my location where the DAW is doesn't have good internet connection.
How can I download all the contents of Samplitude at my work and bring them to my home?

Regards
Snehankur
2017/12/15 15:02:51
Beagle
mikedocy
Beagle
I've been considering it as well.
does samplitude have an equivalent to Audio Snap?

Yes. It has very good audio snap. You can quantize recorded acoustic drums, etc.
From the manual:

"Quantization Audio Quantization Wizard  The quantization wizard also lets you apply the functions described above for transients and beat marker editing. These commands reflect the typical work process when adjusting a multitrack drum recording to the VIP grid and are applied to object selection. The "One click button" automatically executes the "Determine transients", "Consolidate transients", "Cut at transients", "Quantize object positions (AQ)", and "Remove gaps between objects" commands sequentially. During determination of transients, you can set the sensitivity of the detection with the "Sensitivity" controller. The higher the value, the more beat markers are created. Use the "Analyze again" and "Clear" buttons to recalculate or delete an already created audio material analysis.   If you would like to connect the slices you have created to crossfades, then enter the length of the fade into the respective field "Overlap (crossfade) length". Individual gaps between objects may be closed either by Object Time Stretching or by using the audio material from the slices to the right beside the gap.  Define transients Audio quantizing objects is particularly well suited for modifying multi track drum recordings.
  664    www.magix-audio.com "F3" and "F2" allow you to jump to the next or previous transients in the audio signal. By quantizing the VIP object position and dividing objects at beat markers/transient positions you have the option to perform highly flexible dynamic drum quantizations. All following commands refer to selected objects and can also be accessed using the Audio quantization wizard. "Specify transients" marks the peaks of the selected objects as "AQ" with special beat markers. A beat marker is an audio object marker, which is written into the audio file. To make these markers visible, turn on "Objects -> Transients (AQ)" ("Shift + Tab"). All other audio markers may be displayed via "Objects -> Audio markers".  Detailed information about audio markers can be found under "Menu > Play/Rec > Markers > Audio markers". Consolidate Transients Transients within a certain range (e.g. 20 ms) are moved to the first transient position with this command. The effect is that "Split at transients" doesn't create too many splices, especially if you have several tracks with slightly different transient positions for the same drum hit, i.e. due to microphone distance related signal latency. The time window may be specified with the audio quantization wizard. Create Groove "Create groove" button in the audio quantization wizard creates a groove template based on the AQ markers (transients) according to the selected audio objects in the selected range."

Thanks!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account