• Software
  • After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools?
2018/01/08 22:16:04
Unknowen
Well after how ever long it's been, just a blur to me and this whole thing stinks!
I'm staying with Sonar as my main DAW and I hope someone picks it up!

But I'm also falling into Pro Tools as my backup DAW. I have tried most all of the others and it makes no sense for me to learn another DAW unless it's for a real reason like mixing and mastering others and maybe make it easier to find others to work with. 
I have spent only a few hours with PT so far but I like that I can work with OMF file between Sonar and PT. and all of the plugins that I own work just fine. I still haven't recorded yet....

Is anyone else going to ProTools. 
2018/01/09 06:38:37
Cactus Music
It's funny, because the answer would almost appear to be no. PT is expensive compaired to most of the others. It makes no real sense unless you really have to have it to get customers. But that's a sad reason to choose a DAW. 
I have a few friends who went with Pro tools for the same reason people buy Gibson and Fender guitars without looking at alternitives. They both have way more money than I do. The one guy has well over $10,000 in his rig. It's nice but so far I havn't heard anything good come out the other end. He might as well have a Fostex 4 track. 
There's also someone around here who used to use Pro Tools for years now but just swicthed to Cubase. He said Pro Tools is just too expensive to maintain and he's not doin enough recording to justify that. He really likes Cubase and said it does more than he thought it would.
Pro tool users all think the other DAWs are inferior I guess.  
A few of the Mac people around here like Logic the best. 

Anyway's Pro Tools is probably what you call a good investment if your a busy studio. And I'm sure it works as good as any other DAW. It's not a DAW for Hobbiest unless your are a retired Dentist. 
2018/01/09 08:11:29
Frank Harvey
Cactus Music
It's funny, because the answer .............Anyway's Pro Tools is probably what you call a good investment if your a busy studio. And I'm sure it works as good as any other DAW. It's not a DAW for Hobbiest unless your are a retired Dentist. 

Cracked me up ..... Full Marks
2018/01/09 11:35:38
35mm
My experience of Pro Fools is that you only use it if/when you really, really have to. The general public are under the illusion that Pro Fools is the best because it's the industry standard - which means just that - it's standard, mediocre, nothing special. Just like Yamaha NS10 Ms used to be the industry standard nearfield monitor found in every studio because they were a good reference for the average cr*p speakers home audiences were listening to at the time - the same principle as checking a mix on iPhone earbuds nowadays.

Outside the industry and the standard, the best DAW is the one that you can be most productive with and produce the best results with. That means a DAW that has the capabilities you need, a workflow that suits you and doesn't get in your way or block your creativity or prevent you from doing what you want. The only way to find that is to try out lots of demos then when you find the best fit, commit to it, learn it and use it.
2018/01/09 11:53:05
burgerproduction
I downloaded the demo of PT, fired it up, messed about a bit and then uninstalled it. Didn't like it one bit. And I hate the iLok thing. I can't get it off my computer anymore.
I used to work in a studio that used Pro Tools for V/O work, so I'm quite familiar with its workings. I agree that the only reason to use it would be if you have clients who need you to use it. Hobbiests have so many other cheaper options.
2018/01/09 12:08:17
Unknowen
Thanks folks.. I'm lost again! lol
I ran into a few ProFools problems last night... it a pile of DooDoo!!

2018/01/09 12:42:14
Unknowen
burgerproduction
I downloaded the demo of PT, fired it up, messed about a bit and then uninstalled it. Didn't like it one bit. And I hate the iLok thing. I can't get it off my computer anymore.
I used to work in a studio that used Pro Tools for V/O work, so I'm quite familiar with its workings. I agree that the only reason to use it would be if you have clients who need you to use it. Hobbiests have so many other cheaper options.

the iLoc was a selling point for me as I have to drag around a usb hub with my iLoc and Waves usbdrive license anyway... what a mess... all I wanted to do was record some demos... I'm way beyond that now. 
and really... proFools for $600. OR a nice preamp??? hum?

peace!

2018/01/09 12:53:53
GIM Productions
Sorry maybe i'm rude.....Sonar is the best daw on the market,for me,i hate Protools, like Apple...musicians love liberty
2018/01/09 13:29:13
Unknowen
GIM Productions
Sorry maybe i'm rude.....Sonar is the best daw on the market,for me,i hate Protools, like Apple...musicians love liberty

But Sonar is NOT on the market... :(

2018/01/09 16:10:43
sharke
I honestly had no problem with the workflow of ProTools and quite liked it. It's interface felt snappy and it's meat and potatoes functionality felt very solid, in fact more solid than Sonar for sure (didn't come across half the weirdness/quirks I experience in Sonar). Stuff like clip editing, arranging, mixing - all very reliable. The main reason I ditched it was because it was 32 bit at the time and so it had trouble with all the synths and sample libraries I was using. I ended up having to host the synths in Reaper and ReWire them into ProTools. And that led me to thinking I should choose another DAW, hence Sonar. I think its bad rap is unjustified - yes it's overrated, but it's still a very solid DAW.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account