2018/03/04 02:59:29
Kamikaze
Fuzz vs a Distortion Sustainer

What's the difference.

I emailed Overloud to ask why the Fuzz Face is with the Distortions and nt the Fuzzes, as yu can't use the 'Replace' function for things outside the same category.

They said the manufacturer calls it a distortion sustainer, so that's why it's there.

2018/03/06 19:08:25
bayoubill
I ran into that too with TH3. Speaking of, today is a good day to add a distortion to my Marshall univibe set up. I found the sound in Line 6 X3 Pod but I don't use it anymore. TH3 is the plugin I have now
2018/03/06 20:03:41
batsbrew
get a real fuzz...
and a real distortion unit, probably run into a real compressor.

2018/03/07 00:16:30
Kamikaze
batsbrew
get a real fuzz...
and a real distortion unit, probably run into a real compressor.

But if I was to, is the Fuzzface a Fuzz or a Distortion, and why?
2018/03/07 00:17:23
Kamikaze
bayoubill
I ran into that too with TH3. Speaking of, today is a good day to add a distortion to my Marshall univibe set up. I found the sound in Line 6 X3 Pod but I don't use it anymore. TH3 is the plugin I have now

So have overloud got this wrong?
2018/03/07 04:43:33
bitflipper
For practical purposes, Fuzz = Distortion.

The difference is that "distortion" is a broad term that includes a wide range of effects, while "fuzz" specifically means one kind of distortion: heavy clipping and the addition of odd-order harmonics. A good distortion plugin can do fuzz, along with many other types of distortion.

Distortion does not always result in sustain. Sustain is achieved by greatly amplifying the signal and then chopping it off on the peaks. That's "fuzz", also described as "overdrive". Same concept. Other types of distortion may provide little or no added sustain.

2018/03/07 06:20:42
bayoubill
I have those pedals in my old gig bag I retired 5 years ago. They are in the closet. The only one I can't "shelf" is the Roger Mayer Univibe. I love it too much and use it daily

Back in 70' I had a fuzzface that was amazing. I wore it out and never found one that sounded like it again even though I tried several fuzzfaces. That's the sound I've been trying to get ever since.  I want the sound of Hendrix's Band of Gypsys Machine Gun recording at Fillmore East. That was the best guitar solo I've ever heard. 
2018/03/07 15:24:42
batsbrew
a fuzz pedal,
and a distortion pedal,
sound nothing alike.

2018/03/08 04:42:13
Kamikaze
batsbrew
http://lifestyle.jimdunlo...nlop-distortion-guide/

Thanks that's great. I had suspected it was more to do with circuitry than just tone. I knew that Fuzzes used germanium and silicon transistors after looking into Dan Auerbach's tone and Earthquaker devices a few years ago. But I didn't know overdrives and distortions didn't.

So the fuzzface is a Fuzz as it has transistors. I believe originally Germanium and later Siicon

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account