• Techniques
  • Simulating a room and a mic color with Impulse Reponses ?
2018/03/19 17:55:40
J-War
Hello all,

I have to mix some guitar tracks, unfortunately room ambiance wasn't recorded during the tracking process.
Is it actualy possible to simulate a room ambiance recorded through a mic using Impulse Responses ? (Or something else)

I might be wrong but my idea was to send the original guitar track to an aux and add there a plugin that " simulate " the ambiance of a room AND the color of a mic. For example : a studio room recorded through a u87.

Any idea on how to do something like that ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
J.
2018/03/19 18:59:45
Zargg
Hi. Which version of SONAR do you have?
If on a newer version, perhaps try TH2/3, with a clean setting.
You can choose (some) cabs, mics and fx in the included version.
There are also some ok free amp sims as well.
But, your way should work fine as well.
All the best.
2018/03/19 19:39:36
J-War
I Have platinum, i just gave a try to TH3 following your advice.
In TH3 it seems it's mandatory to insert a cab in order to access mics tweaks.
Unfortunately my guitars tracks come already from amps and cabs, i only need mic coloration + room ambiance to simulate a room mic so that won't work.
2018/03/19 19:42:49
Tomas M.
Hi J War.
In the past, there was an educational film by Craig Anderton in the cakewalk shop called:

"Sonar X1 Advanced Workshop The Next Level"

The first tutorial in this movie shows how to create virtual room mics as send effects.
Here are two Sonitus reverbs as mics and a perfect space reverb ( a convolution reverb ) as room.
This video is by Craig Anderton. Maybe he will sell you that if you ask him. At least I have not found a dealer who sells it yet.

Cheers Tomas
2018/03/19 19:45:57
Zargg
J-War
I Have platinum, i just gave a try to TH3 following your advice.
In TH3 it seems it's mandatory to insert a cab in order to access mics tweaks.
Unfortunately my guitars tracks come already from amps and cabs, i only need mic coloration + room ambiance to simulate a room mic so that won't work.

Waves has a plugin called "The Kings Microphones" that might do that trick.
Perhaps demo it, to see if suits your needs?
Then add reverb and/or delay to create space.
2018/03/19 20:39:53
kevinwal
You already have mic/cab characterstics in your signal so you may not get precisely what you want, but imho a convolution reverb might get you where you want to go. The ProChannel ReMatrix reverb supports loading custom IR's. Search for some likely IR's on the next and give 'em a whirl. I found some nice ones (I can't remember where) that I use for vocals reflexively now.

Here's an article on simulating various mic response characteristics with IR's:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/convolution-processing-impulse-responses

Perhaps you're already familiar with them but I found this read to be really helpful for me in understanding what IR's are and what they can and cannot do for  you.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/creative-convolution-new-sounds-impulse-responses

2018/03/19 20:40:41
rsinger
What are you using as a convolver? Do you have an IR of a u87 + room or do you plan on making your own? Another approach would be to use EQ to simulate the mic and then put that thru reverb. There isn't much color to a u87.

2018/03/19 20:54:28
J-War
Thanks guys for you answers !
I'm using Waves IR1 and would like to import an existing IR into it.
The custom IR i found so far are room only, it misses the Mic ! ;)

@Zargg : Watched some demos of the King Microphone, that's the idea ! I doubt the sound itself is realy suitable tho. :D
2018/03/19 22:33:43
Zargg
J-War
Thanks guys for you answers !
I'm using Waves IR1 and would like to import an existing IR into it.
The custom IR i found so far are room only, it misses the Mic ! ;)

@Zargg : Watched some demos of the King Microphone, that's the idea ! I doubt the sound itself is realy suitable tho. :D

I bet there are other (free) ones as well. Try doing a search for mic emulations.
Best of luck.
2018/03/19 22:38:02
J-War
Sure ! Thanks for the help !
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account