2018/04/05 15:16:24
bitflipper
You can start with some of the original sources...
Principles of Orchestration by Rimsky-Korsakov. Download free pdf here.
Treatise on Instrumentation by Berlioz/Strauss. Download the free pdf here.
2018/04/05 16:29:22
bayoubill
Dave - try to keep it simple on the theory learning process. Diving into books etc. is hard to maintain. I think you should ask your theory questions here as you come across or think of them. Write them down for later if it helps keep you on track. That way you can get a timely and more useful answer to your question. The problem with books is they lead to too much too fast too long which is ok if you have the time but not applicable to current situations. There are plenty of people here in the forums for your quest to be satisfied. I've forgotten more theory than most can remember cuz I'm old retired musician etc so if I can help let me know. I can and will point you to an answer you can use. 
2018/04/05 16:34:02
sharke
I think a combination of books and videos is the key. Books give you a much more in depth explanation whereas videos provide the audio accompaniment to the things you're learning. You'll get lots of book suggestions but for videos I would suggest taking a look at Groove3 - they have some great music theory courses. The jazz theory ones by Eli Krantzberg are excellent. 
2018/04/05 17:42:46
eph221
Yes Eli is a great teacher (on groove 3) and he doesn't have an aussie accent!
2018/04/05 21:37:01
abacab
Online class taught by a Ph.D. for $14.99

Music Theory Comprehensive Complete! (Levels 1, 2, & 3)
A Complete College-Level Music Theory Curriculum. This edition of the course includes levels 1, 2, & 3.

https://www.udemy.com/music-theory-complete/
2018/04/05 21:39:52
abacab

Music Theory Comprehensive Combined: Part 4, 5, & 6
Mastering Music Theory and SATB Composition with College-Level Music Theory

https://www.udemy.com/mus...e-combined-part-4-5-6/

2018/04/06 19:47:15
markno999
There is a lot of theory information out there and you can become paralyzed with theory (Have been there).   I agree with BayouBill above, keep it simple.   I would look at some Jazz Fake Books, good chord progressions and harmony in them.   Check out some short and simple theory specific YouTube Videos, ex. like when to use a diminished scale for example.   These short and simple methods help you to retain the information and really understand it.

In your example above, if you know 2-5-1, you already know what Tritone substitution is, indirectly.   Take for example Em7 A7 DMaj7.   A Tritone substitution in this case would replace the A7 with its' b5, or Eb.   So your progression would be Em7 Eb7/Eb9 to DMaj7.   Note that Eb is the tritone sub for A, and, A is the tritone sub for Eb.   They are interchangeable.   Play a Bm pentatonic over Em9, play an A arpeggio over Eb9, and then a Bm pentatonic over the Dmaj7 and you will hear the effect of the tritone substitution and likely remember it a long time.   Or you can do the opposite, if your progression remains Em7 A7 Dmaj7 try playing an Eb major (Cm) Pentatonic over your A7 chord.  You will catch a lot of "color notes" in there in either scenario.    If you are a guitar player you will start to see these patterns on the neck and store them in your toolkit for future use.

Regards
2018/04/07 05:06:53
Kamikaze
I like this channel, I watched one a while back (not sure which) that was great, and a commenter asked a few questions and I felt a stack of loose ends come together in my head.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk24OnGLcP5XlTBjZ9WBWvw/videos

Also this one, which I think I should be more proactive with, as it wuld help my flute and sax playing as well as the theory.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqimxUbWsE26KSpx2_OcmmA/videos

2018/04/07 05:54:36
Kamikaze
This guy too. He comes from a classical background, but discusses jazz and pop too. I really enjoyed his Astral Weeks video, but I think his Swing Video that I saw first had some new analysis and info for me on the subject and worth watching.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account