• Computers
  • Well - I have gone and done it - new computer Parts O'Plenty arriving over next few days (p.2)
2018/06/09 15:10:48
InstrEd
Bob,
So how did the build go
2018/06/27 00:49:31
robert_e_bone
Sorry for the delay - I have been out of town twice over the past couple of weeks.

I went down to Fort Wayne, Indiana, to attend the Sweetwater 17th annual Gear Fest.  I managed to escape with only 3 guitars (a Gibson SG and a nice Godin electric classical guitar, and another SG for a friend), and a Presonus control surface - Faderport 16 or whatever it is called.  I am primarily a keyboard player, though I do play guitar as well, but I DID want and need to pick up the two guitars I got for myself.

ANYWAYS - the build of the new monster computer went well, though I went slowly, as there were a LOT of connections, and 2 liquid cooling systems, and 7 hard drives and all.  BUT - upon 1st attempt at booting, XXXXX NOPE!  I tested out a bunch of stuff, and eventually came to the conclusion that the motherboard was faulty, and took it in to a local repair shop, who also came to that conclusion.  BUMMER.

I drove the computer 70 miles into downtown Chicago, and accidentally bought a new laptop (I needed one for live performance), and dropped off the desktop for the Micro Center tech folks to ferret out the problems.

While they too concluded the motherboard was faulty - with 2 bad memory slots - by the time they got that far, it was too late to swap out the motherboard.  (They were SOOO cool - I was 3 days over the 30 day return mark, and they let that slide, and pulled a brand new replacement board to work on replacement while I was in Indiana for the weekend)

I am MOST HAPPY to report that the new desktop LIVES - and boots - and has Windows 10 Pro loaded, along with all the drivers.  YAY.

It will take me several days to get to where I can even THINK about starting to load it up with everything, as my back is killing me (way too many herniated discs).  It will likely take me a good solid week to get everything loaded up, and then I will be in business.

This computer will now also allow me to do video editing, REALLY fast, not to mention being pretty zippy on all of the music production tasks.

Oh - that new laptop has one of the new i7 chips, 16 GB of memory (expandable to 64 GB), a 256 M.2 NVME primary SSD, a 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD to hold sample files for live performance use, and a THIRD drive, which is a regular 2 TB SATA III SSD for additional sample files.  My live performance will be quite zippy too, with this setup.

Thank you SO much for asking about the new machine - I am REALLY stoked to get it loaded and running.

Bob Bone

2018/07/04 03:48:07
robert_e_bone
Thedoccal
What motherboard did you pick Bob?
I take it the Threadripper needs a special, new board.
Your build registers on the "UFO" scale on UserBenchmark.

Are you going for huge templates by any chance?

Sorry it took so long to reply.  It has been crazy.  Not building huge templates - just had this one opportunity to build such a beast, so I just DONE IT :)  BWA HA HA! 

Bob Bone

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account