• Computers
  • Minimum Laptop needed for tracking ONLY! (p.2)
2018/07/18 13:51:27
davdud101
SSD for tracking? Do you guys who do that use a small SSD and then transfer everything over to maybe a bigger HDD later (so that you only need maybe a 50gb SSD for example for a sort of manual cache and then a nice 2 or 3tb for long-term storage)? Or do you guys get multi-TB SSD's and keep everything stored there?

Could this method actually work for other types of high-volume flash storage like flash drives/SDHC card- and would it yield any speed benefits in the tracking phase for someone using a relatively powerful desktop computer that already does good low-latency tracking?

No intention to derail the topic, sorry for all the questions... I just find this possibility fascinating as I've got a lot of high-capacity memory cards and flash drives that I want to find some use for.
2018/07/18 15:30:28
Jim Roseberry
The thing to remember here "laptop" (using 2.5" drives).
A 2.5" conventional HD isn't as fast as a 3.5" conventional HD.
In this case (laptop), the advice to use SSD for tracking isn't that most folks really need a drive that sustains ~540MB/Sec for tracking... but rather it just maximizes performance in the 2.5" form-factor.

If you're working with a desktop, you can use 3.5" conventional HDs.
A single 3.5" conventional HD can sustain 100+ solid/contiguous 44.1k/48k tracks of audio.
If you're working at high sample-rates (ie: 192k with dense projects), that's when you need SSD for tracking audio.

To elaborate a bit more...
Your drive needs to be able to keep up with the load.
Having additional unused (un-needed) drive speed will not buy additional performance or allow working at lower latency.

Scale your drives based on your needs:
  • Yes, you can put SSDs in RAID-0
  • Yes, you can use M.2 Ultra (PCIe x4) SSDs that sustain 3400MB/Sec
If you're tracking at 44.1k... and your typical project is 24-48 tracks (not making heavy use of disk-streaming sample-libraries), you don't need to make things complicated/expensive.  Dedicate a drive to "OS", another to "Audio", and a third to "Samples".  Scale up from there... based on your specific needs.
ie:  If you're composing huge orchestral mock-ups for video games (needing 4000 notes of disk-streaming polyphony from multi-mic position sample-libraries), then you need "the works" as far as SSDs.
Most folks don't need that level of performance.
2018/07/18 20:26:16
stevesweat
Thanks for all the input! I have one showing up tomorrow. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795W86N3

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account