2018/12/10 20:01:16
Glyn Barnes
I tend to do this list each year for what its worth. And yes I am one of the people buying albums and listening to them as an entity.

I will kick off by mentioning three live albums, they do not contain new material so I will keep them separate from the main list.

Big Big Train - Merchants of Light. A excellent record of the Cardogan Hall Shows of 2017.
Magenta - We are Seven : Live 2018. Affirmation of just how good Magenta are. I must get to see them some time.
I am The Morning - Ocean Sounds. This is beautiful, a live studio film shot on a remote area of the Norwegian coast complete with an audio album. The audio is also available to download on Bandcamp.

And now the 2018 albums

7 - Rikard Sjöblom’s Gungfly - Friendship, this one is growing on me and is probably more accessible than the previous album, particularly lyrically. A couple of tracks have yet to grow, but a couple more are becoming firm favorites.
6 - Hat's Off Gentlemen, its Adequate - Out of Mind. Its early days for me with this one but It looks like its going to become a favourite, quirky in places and very moving in others.
5 - Riversea - The Tide -  I love this, reminicent of the Gilmore era Pink Floyd while still retaining originality.
4 - Gleb Kolyadin – Gleb Kolyadin - fantastic solo album from the I am The Morning pianist aided and abetted by Steve Hogarth, Nick Beggs, Jordan Rudess, Gavin Harrison and others. It certainly has some of the best piano playing on a rock record for a long time.
3 - Tiger Moth Tales - The Depths of Winter - I am sneaking this in from the very end of 2017. Its an exceptional album and the track "exposure" inspired by WW1 poet Wilfred Owen is devastating.

I have had to make a tie for the top spot, I can't separate these two.

Luna Rossa - Atropa -  Some of Panic Room's Anne-Marie Helder and Jonathan Edwards' finest songs get channeled through this gentler, mostly acoustic project. Helder's voice is sublime, Edwards' piano the perfect accompaniment supplemented by Helder's guitar and flute and Sarah Dean's harp.

Talitha Rise - The Abandoned Orchid House - Like Atropa, its a album that difficult to classify in the "usual" list of genres. This was the discovery of the year for me. I was lucky enough to get to one of the two shows with the full band, the Abandoned Orchestra in the attic of a medieval barn in Totnes which seemed that a perfect location.

2018/12/10 20:19:48
jamesg1213
Not many this year.

Riverside - Wasteland
BBT - Merchants of Light
Black River Union - Among The Faceless
Pymlico - Nightscape
Joe Bonamassa - Redemption

I bought the Riversea (lot of River-bands these days) album, and love it..musically..but it's so miserable. The singer sounds like he's going to burst into tears any minute
2018/12/10 22:04:48
Wayfarer
Call Me Lucky - Chris Smither

Tis all I got.
2018/12/10 23:46:46
dmbaer
Just off the top of my head:

The latest Muse album is pretty epic.  Not sure if there are many other Muse fans here, but for me, when they're good they're *very* good.

The new Jeff Tweedy album just arrived and I haven't had time to give it a listen yet ... but I have a feeling it belongs on this list.

No doubt other titles will come to mind in the next few days.
2018/12/10 23:47:48
batsbrew
2018/12/11 00:19:27
msmcleod
Just the one stood out for me this year... Kino - Radio Voltaire

2017 was so much better.
2018/12/11 01:39:13
Leadfoot
I thought Judas Priest's "Firepower" was a good album.
2018/12/11 15:06:04
Mesh
Leadfoot
I thought Judas Priest's "Firepower" was a good album.

Completely agree with this

(good thread.....now I have a variety of listening to do)
2018/12/11 15:18:54
pwalpwal
the skiffle players- skiff
the orb - no sounds are out of bounds
thomas fehlmann - los lagos
hookworms - microshift
youth & gaudi - astronaut alchemists
gospelbeach- another winter alive
ocs - live in san fransisco
a place to bury strangers - pinned
mouse on mars - dimensional people
soft hearted scientists - take time to wonder in a whirling world
lumerians -call of the void
essex green - hardly electronic
bong - thought and experience
black dog - post-truth
wooden shjips - v
gnod - chapel perilous
king gizzard and the lizard wizard - polygondwanaland
yo la tengo - there's a riot going on
cavern of anti-matter - hormone lemonade
charlie tipper conspiracy - 10
jonathan wilson - rare birds
suuns - felt

2018/12/11 15:42:46
Bajan Blue
well I only purchased one CD this year - Vroom Vroom by King Crimson - not exactly very new!!
But I have just ordered two Cd's to collect when I pass through the UK in January - Savage by Gary Numan and greta van fleet's debut album - well I had to get that - the one track I have heard was a dead ringer for Zeppelin!! I expect the rest will be tosh, but there we go - one prays daily for a resurgence in new music but where I live all I hear is a great deal of RnB or whatever they call the latest,  auto tuned, melody free, warbling... very sad
Nigel

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account