2018/12/19 05:00:02
Rbh
Sorry to everyone in the universe - but THE best guitar solo in the history of guitar solo's is :

Jan Ackerman - Hocus Pocus - I can barely stand the rest of the song because, you know, yodeling - but the solo can't be matched in the Universe ----ever.
2018/12/19 07:00:18
joakes
Best intro riff : John Fogerty - Rocking all over the world

Best slide riff : Duane Allman - Trouble no more

Most well known riff : Smoke on the water

Personal best riff : Honky tonk women by Keef

But then its all subjective .....

Cheers
Jerry
2018/12/19 07:18:17
JohnKenn
Hey Guys,

Slippin under the radar with this to comment. Here’s where the rubber meets the road as to what real musicians think. Thanks for connecting me with some real music and riffs just for asking a question.

Years ago, Guitar Player magazine did a poll on who was the greatest guitar player in the world, when they were the gurus of anything poll related with guitar players, and mouthpiece to the universe.

Elimination rounds came down to Eric Clapton and George Harrison. Heat ramped up and George Harrison won finally.

Couldn’t understand this. These guys were way better than me, but nowhere the best guitarists in the world. Like there was Jeff Beck, Trower, Segovia, Page, jazz savants, the Rush guy and so many others.
My opinion only, the poll was a popularity vote. Didn’t have much of nothing to do with the prowess of the artist. (Got to admit though, Clapton’s live Crossroads is formidable…)

Why I wanted to ask you guys what made you tick. Selfish motive for me to listen to and go through your crossroads.

Hang in there you young guys,
John
2018/12/19 19:09:14
eph221
Hotel california guitar solo for me.  Damned if I didn't hear it a few times.  :D:D
2018/12/19 21:11:07
michaelhanson
One of the first Riff's that really influenced me was Day Tripper; still love it to this day.

My 2 favorite guitar solo's are; Comfortably Numb and Limelight.  Awesome riff to Limelight as well.
2018/12/19 21:23:08
Wibbles
Something by Kraftwerk ... er, I don't think I'm playing this game right.
2018/12/19 21:28:31
Wibbles
Some viewing for you all:

2018/12/19 22:13:07
msmcleod
I honestly can't think of a top riff/solo, but ones that stand out for me are:

Riffs:
  • Focus: Hocus Pocus
  • Police: Synchronicity, Every Breath You Take
  • Dire Straits: Sultans of Swing, Wild West End, Money for Nothing
  • Rush: Limelight

Solos:
  • Eagles: Hotel California
  • Genesis: Firth of Fifth
  • Marillion: Easter
  • Joe Satriani: Always with You, Always with Me... well, it's one big solo

2018/12/19 22:42:56
batsbrew
page's solo in 'whole lotta love'.
that's brilliant.
2018/12/20 03:59:03
emeraldsoul
JohnKenn
. . . the Rush guy . . .

uh, Alex Lifeson  :)

I liked the Peter Gabriel riff, and the Dire Straits mentions are all great, and Hotel Cali, and anyone who has ever played Day Tripper knows how much fun that one is, plus Joe Satriani (how about "Living in a Blue Dream"), and of course Jimmy Page from Zep, and this whole thing is too much fun. Must rest now.

Wait, of course,

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account