• Software
  • message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg (p.15)
2017/11/24 17:33:33
Thedoccal
Cubase is very deep.  Very impressive:
https://youtu.be/1yO633YetPg
Mitch Gallagher and Steinberg's Greg Ondo present new features in Cubase 9.5 DAW software. Cubase Pro 9.5 boasts today's most advanced and in-demand audio tools in a massively comprehensive package. Steinberg assembled a dream team of its finest virtual instruments and designer audio effects to inspire in its users greater performances and groundbreaking mixes. An unlimited track count, flexible routing and rendering, and an award-winning audio engine will allow even veteran users to discover new and satisfying ways to craft audio.
2017/11/24 17:44:48
Grumbleweed_
I've jumped!
Sent a pretty picture of my Platinum Licence details, waited a while as someone looked at the pretty picture, got an email and made the deal.
Just waiting for a good old fashioned box to wing its way to me now 

Grum.

P.S. I know Sonar still works but I was looking at other DAWs just before this happened anyway - not sure why but something was bothering me  
2017/11/24 17:47:38
Maarkr
I used Cubase (4) before moving to Sonar years ago.  Cubase had some usability issues that caused me to look elsewhere instead of upgrading, but everything about the program was top notch, clean, professional.  I may go back to it but I don't really want to stop using Sonar until there are issues that cannot be resolved.  I haven't gotten over the shock of the end of SPLAT, and haven't read many of the posts related to it.  Was there any talk about another company buying out Cakewalk?  By the time I start having Sonar issues, the 'crossgrade' or 'Sonar switch offer' will probably be long gone.  Just not sure about swapping DAWs all of a sudden.  I'm glad I finished my last album before this happened. Oh, and the dongle was no big deal, I just added a USB splitter on one of the ports and left the dongle plugged in all the time... no issues.
2017/11/24 17:55:53
Resonant Serpent
Thedoccal
Cubase is very deep.  Very impressive:
https://youtu.be/1yO633YetPg
Mitch Gallagher and Steinberg's Greg Ondo present new features in Cubase 9.5 DAW software. Cubase Pro 9.5 boasts today's most advanced and in-demand audio tools in a massively comprehensive package. Steinberg assembled a dream team of its finest virtual instruments and designer audio effects to inspire in its users greater performances and groundbreaking mixes. An unlimited track count, flexible routing and rendering, and an award-winning audio engine will allow even veteran users to discover new and satisfying ways to craft audio.

It is deep, but it's also as simple as you want it to be. You can add/remove a lot of the interface functions. I've been on it for a little over a year, and I'm still learning everything that it can do. The bundled plugs are excellent. I only go to third party plugs when I need something special.
2017/11/24 17:59:20
35mm
If I do go this route I hope Cubase isn't as buggy as it was last time I used it - quite a few years ago :) The first time I used it was on an Atari ST around 1988ish.
2017/11/24 18:17:13
tonydude
My gut reaction is Cubase, partly because it is so well established and part of Yamaha.

However lack of ARA support is a deal breaker. I could not have finished my recent album without it.

Does Cubase 9.5 support ARA and if not, will it definitely be in the next version?
Is it possible to use 32bit and 64bit plugin's in the same instance of Cubase? 

~ Tony
2017/11/24 18:20:04
kson
I am the owner of the most recent versions of Studio One, Cubase and the now discontinued Sonar Plat.  I would encourage those who would take advantage of Cubase's offer to look at Studio One as well.

I say this because as a Sonar user, you may miss the ARA integration that Cubase doesn't support at this time.  If you use Melodyne, Vocalign, etc., you may miss the tight integration that is supported by S1 and Sonar.  Just something to keep in mind...

Cubase is a great product for sure and this is not meant to make anyone lean either way.  I keep it around and current because I like the way it deals with chords and the chord track feature.  It is very useful at times.

S1 has a scratchpad and an easier, less clicky workflow that I fully enjoy.  It also, as mentioned, supports ARA functionality.

Take your time and flush out different DAWs before you pull out that card.  Sonar is going to be functional for a good while hopefully.

As info, the dongle has been a non-issue for me and hasn't given me a moments trouble.

I hope Sonar will get picked up and continue to live on but for now...
2017/11/24 18:48:35
35mm
kson
I am the owner of the most recent versions of Studio One, Cubase and the now discontinued Sonar Plat.  I would encourage those who would take advantage of Cubase's offer to look at Studio One as well.

I say this because as a Sonar user, you may miss the ARA integration that Cubase doesn't support at this time.  If you use Melodyne, Vocalign, etc., you may miss the tight integration that is supported by S1 and Sonar.  Just something to keep in mind...

Cubase is a great product for sure and this is not meant to make anyone lean either way.  I keep it around and current because I like the way it deals with chords and the chord track feature.  It is very useful at times.

S1 has a scratchpad and an easier, less clicky workflow that I fully enjoy.  It also, as mentioned, supports ARA functionality.

Take your time and flush out different DAWs before you pull out that card.  Sonar is going to be functional for a good while hopefully.

As info, the dongle has been a non-issue for me and hasn't given me a moments trouble.

I hope Sonar will get picked up and continue to live on but for now...

That's a useful post. Thanks. ARA is an issue for me too with Melodyne although Melodyne can still be used in Cubase without ARA. Hopefully, Cubase will add ARA soon. They seem to be a bit late to the party with that. To my mind, Cubase is the most similar to Sonar.
2017/11/24 19:45:23
deswind
This ARA issues - does this mean that in Cubase, there is more latency using plugins?
2017/11/24 19:47:30
35mm
deswind
This ARA issues - does this mean that in Cubase, there is more latency using plugins?

No. It means that you can't use tools like Melodyne right in the track view. You would have to use it as a plugin insert instead.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account