• Software
  • message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg (p.21)
2017/11/25 13:26:52
piangio
Potentially interested here!

2017/11/25 13:47:07
RichBtt63
Steinberg's elicencer is a nightmare .  had to wait 6 weeks for a reply from their support team for a new activation code & I'm still waiting for another new one as I recently updated my windows again, which has been 10 days ago since I requested for one.
2017/11/25 14:15:52
Glyn Barnes
RichBtt63
Steinberg's elicencer is a nightmare .  had to wait 6 weeks for a reply from their support team for a new activation code & I'm still waiting for another new one as I recently updated my windows again, which has been 10 days ago since I requested for one.

I have been using an eLicencer with an XILS product for several years and, with the occasional driver update its gone from Vista to Win8 to Win10 without issues.

This sounds disturbing as my understanding is the advantage with dongles is they prevent the need for re-authorization when hardware changes, OS is updated or you want to move to a new PC - what triggers your need for a new authorization code?
2017/11/25 14:42:13
RichBtt63
No I do not own a physical dongle, it's the soft elicensor as I purchased Elements. 
2017/11/25 15:27:01
Antler
I'm currently considering Cubase as an option, but the eLicenser is giving me second thoughts. I'm guessing that when it works, it works; and it's great that you can use your software on another computer just by plugging it into a USB port. But I've read some horror stories about the (hopefully) rare cases where the eLicenser itself malfunctions, and how difficult it is to get a replacement/transfer for all of the licenses stored on it.

If anyone has previously had to replace a malfunctioning/lost eLicenser, it'd be helpful if you could share your experience.
2017/11/25 16:02:01
Cactus Music
That's why I bought a Dongle even though I don't need it for Wave Lab Elements and Cubase 5 LE. The Dongle always works.. That said I have a glitch in mine right now-- when ever I open Wave Lab it say's I need to run the  elicence software and authorize, Wav Lab still opens and runs. Running the E licence software goes so far and tells me there was an issue and to contact the vendor. 

I spent all last night downloading demos, Cubase 8.5 is 9 GB so It's still grinding away. I passed on the Demo for 9 after reading about potential bugs in the Demo somewhere n this thread. 

Anyhow for those interested so far my observations
Mix Buss - Probably a cool program for people who work in audio only, Midi editing is crude. GUI is also very undeveloped and feels like freeware. I never did figure out how to insert a 3rd party vst. Might as well go back to Sonar 5. Let's just say, you get what you pay for at only $100 regular price. There's the Mix Bus 32 but all you get is better EQ and more Busses. I failed to grasp the value in that for more like $350. One can get by with 8 sub busses and EQ is easily added with Plug ins. 
Oh, and it crashed on me for no apparent reason. A visit to the user forum and seems Mr Harrison himself answers questions, most are about  bugs found and he seemed to promise immediate action. 

Mix Craft- GUI and Midi editing is on par with Sonar 8.5. Probably a cheaper replacement for Studio 1. 
 But over all it is logical and without reading any instructions I made a song and inserted a few 3rd party VST's. 
I like it but I have Sonar 8.5 and X3 so it would be a waste of $100.

Which really nails it for me. I think you'll find only Cubase is up to our standards. I am not even going to bother downloading Studio 1 demo because so far everything I've read say's I will be disappointed with the MIDI editing.  I feel sorry for those who panicked and did not take the time to research the options first. As said somewhere above. There is no reason to panic.    

2017/11/25 17:41:44
Steve_Karl
dorism
The hardware dongle has worked perfectly for me since I moved to Cubase several years ago. It's an amazing program. I love it. It's easy to use but deep at the same time - and can do pretty much anything you can imagine with an incredible suite of plugins and VSTis. It's been very stable on my rig. 

Can it have multiple (different) locked PRV open at the same time and save that configuration with the project?
2017/11/25 19:49:02
Martin Hines
$255 -- Steinberg Cubase Pro 9.5 -- Competitive Crossgrade
(Steinberg lowered the price by $70 due to the Cakewalk news)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubaseP95CG

$35 -- Steinberg eLicenser USB Key (if you don't already have one)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SteinbergKey

eLicenser Control Software (used on PC or Mac to download/authorize/manage licenses on the USB Key)
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/technologies/elicenser.html

eLicenser products (like Steinberg software) require the eLicenser USB Key (dongle) to be plugged into a USB port on your computer.  I use an external USB Hub to hold both an eLicenser USB Key and a Pace/iLok USB Key.  All the software licenses are stored on the USB Keys so they are portable to use in any computer -- only one at a time. 
2017/11/25 20:27:36
Resonant Serpent
Steve_Karl
dorism
The hardware dongle has worked perfectly for me since I moved to Cubase several years ago. It's an amazing program. I love it. It's easy to use but deep at the same time - and can do pretty much anything you can imagine with an incredible suite of plugins and VSTis. It's been very stable on my rig. 

Can it have multiple (different) locked PRV open at the same time and save that configuration with the project?

The piano roll in Cubase is termed a Key Editor, or Drum Editor. You can have multiples of the editors open (unchecked Linked Editors in preferences), and then just save the configuration as a Workspace preset. You can cycle through the different Workspaces at will.
2017/11/25 21:12:46
awakerman
Hello Greg,
I have a eLicenser USB Key from the Cubase 4 essential .
Can I use it for the Cubase 9.5 version ?
Is it the same ?
Thanks
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account