• Software
  • message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg (p.24)
2017/11/26 13:28:36
cparmerlee
ebibault51
the chord track is huge!

I am a bit put off by the fixed number of everything (# of insert per channel, # of sends etc.)  This seems very 1990.  But in reality I am not likely ever to need more than what they allow.

The channel strip serves much of the purpose that the ProChannel does in SONAR.  If you can live with Cubase's functions for limiter, compressor, etc. (instead of using 3rd party plug-ins) then the channel strip is rather compact.
2017/11/26 14:08:44
Resonant Serpent
ebibault51
The biggest con for me are the dongle and the non-coloured strips, but when I look at the user interface, I like it, and the chord track is huge!

You mean the strips in the track view? You can add color via a slider in preferences. You can make it as subtle or bright as you want. Also, you can create our own colors and change colors on automation tracks by ctrl+left clicking the panel.
2017/11/26 14:18:47
cityrat
Questions but no answers:
  • When is the demo out?   Can't see buying w/o trying.  Is there an older demo available now?  Cant find it.  Yes I looked.
  • How long does the offer last?  See above.
  • What is the "buy" and "authorize" process?  Buy from Sweetwater for $255+35 (key), then get a code (from who?), or first submit sonar code to who? 

2017/11/26 14:25:55
35mm
cityrat
  • When is the demo out?   Can't see buying w/o trying.  Is there an older demo available now?  Cant find it.  Yes I looked.
  • What is the "buy" and "authorize" process?  Buy from Sweetwater for $255+35 (key), then get a code (from who?), or first submit sonar code to who? 

They said (the other day) that they were racing to get a demo out in the next few days. 9.5 has only just been released which is why there is no current demo. There is an old 8.5 demo that someone found but that's very out of date and apparently needs the dongle to use it.
2017/11/26 15:26:20
Resonant Serpent
cityrat

1. The demo should be out soon. 9.5 was just released, and Steinberg doesn't release a demo until the first maintenance release is in the wild. Even with the new demo, you'll still need the dongle to do the demo. The bottom line is that the program doesn't work without it. If you're in a pinch, you might hit up your local music store. Most of the ones around me keep a computer with every daw they sell on it so you can demo. I spent hours at my local Guitar Center working with Cubase before I bought it. This was 1.5 years ago, so things may have changed in this regard.

It looks like the 9 demo is no longer up. Hopefully, 9.5 will be up shortly.

2. I've read that the offer will be up for a week, but don't quote me. I haven't read it from an official source.

3. After you purchase the Cubase crossgrade, you'll be asked to send in a picture/screenshot of your Sonar license that is posted in the "about" section of Sonar. Installation is easy. They have a download program now, much like the Command Center. You install, and it prompts you along the way. Cubase install consists of three main parts: The audio program, the elicenser software, and the dongle. Just follow the instructions, and you're good. It's rather intuitive. When prompted for an activation number, just open the elicenser and clicke on Activate. The activation number is in the box if you get a box. Otherwise, the number will be sent by email. I recently updated several of my Steinberg programs, and all of the activations arrived immediately to my email box. The crossgrades are vetted by a human, so they take a little longer.

Hope this helps.
2017/11/26 15:36:54
cyberzip
I have a few questions for someone who has used Cubase and Sonar:
  1. How is the MIDI editing in Cubase 9.5 compared to SPlat? As good as, worse or better?
  2. How is working with WAV loops and can you audition/preview loops in time with the project?
  3. How is the general performance and stability compared to Sonar?
Fun fact: I noticed that Cubase just received a 64 bit mixing engine in v9.5, Sonar had that since (at least) 2005... :)

Thanks for any input!
2017/11/26 15:59:21
denverdrummer
SuperG
denverdrummer
Just got the crossgrade from Sweetwater.  What an incredible deal.  As much as I loved Sonar, I'm very pleased about this deal.  Also the new Cubase interface in 9.5 is very similar to Sonar's skylight.  I'm very excited about this move.  Just waiting on the download, I picked up my e-licenser from GC earlier today, so I'm all set to go.

Did Sweetwater send you some sort of a license code, or did you get something from Steinberg? I'm curious, as I've paid Sweetwater for the upgrade, and am not entirely sure what happens next.

Sweetwater sends you a code that you use at the Steinberg website to do we download the code. Then when downloading and setting up your Steinberg account, you'll get a separate code from Steinberg, and that's the one you use with the elicenser.
2017/11/26 16:07:03
35mm
I have heard people saying that the crossgrade they got from Sweetwater is not a full package. The plugins are demo versions. So that maybe something to watch out for.
2017/11/26 16:18:58
dede
Hey Greg,
Does Cubase accept a Codemeter USB dongle  (the one I purchased for Samplitude a while ago)?
Thansk
dd

2017/11/26 16:24:02
soens
cyberzip
I have a few questions for someone who has used Cubase and Sonar:

There's some pretty nice youtube vids that should answer you Q's.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account