• Software
  • message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg (p.26)
2017/11/26 18:28:04
vladasyn
I already moved to Cubase. Here is my thread on their forum with questions and issues I am encountering:

https://www.steinberg.net...4&p=690516#p690516
2017/11/26 18:34:17
RickJP909
cparmerlee
I know what you mean about SONAR's reputation.  It was the biggest secret in the DAW industry.  The big problem was that the X1/X2 stability was really poor for many users and Cakewalk never recovered from that- although they really did make a heroic effort.  Now that we have to assess other DAWs, I am coming to the conclusion that none of them are nearly as elegant as SONAR.

Cubase looks OK, but feels like a 1990s program to me -- a 1990s program that runs well and has a lot of function added recently.  Functionally, it has some very strong areas (notation, chord track and probably some other really strong areas).  And it has some  significant voids -- the poor Melodyne support being the biggest one I have come across. 

What troubles me most about the lack of ARA support is the fact that Steinberg seems to think their own pitch and time correction code is so good that they simply don't understand why anybody would want a seamless Melodyne implementation.  I'm not sure I want to get hooked up with a company that thinks that way.  I would like to see a clear statement of direction about industry standards.

Funny as I've never had Sonar X1 or X2 crashing with all the updates applied.  However, another producer friend of mine was forever battling with Cubase because it frequently bombed out and this was evident to me from what I saw being posted by their users in forums.

I also can't stomach having a hardware dongle and having to pay for it too!  My PCs USB ports are full to the brim because I use a lot of hardware so Cubase has some way to go before I'll use it, even though I've been playing with a trial version.
2017/11/26 18:34:32
JClosed
Steve_Karl
"Over 5 hours of HD video tutorials "

Would love to know 
1) Where they are
2) are they organised under one user name.

You can access tutorials in the Steinberg Hub you see when starting the program.
There are also loads of tutorials in the Cubase YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcQBdibdDxH2ngu3kNPYOEA/playlists

2017/11/26 18:42:32
vladasyn
cparmerlee
JohanSebatianGremlin
Though I rarely do this, once in a blue moon I will have a reason to mention to someone that I'm atheist.

Don't worry.  We won't tell anybody. :)

I know what you mean about SONAR's reputation.  It was the biggest secret in the DAW industry.  The big problem was that the X1/X2 stability was really poor for many users and Cakewalk never recovered from that- although they really did make a heroic effort.  Now that we have to assess other DAWs, I am coming to the conclusion that none of them are nearly as elegant as SONAR.

Cubase looks OK, but feels like a 1990s program to me -- a 1990s program that runs well and has a lot of function added recently.  Functionally, it has some very strong areas (notation, chord track and probably some other really strong areas).  And it has some  significant voids -- the poor Melodyne support being the biggest one I have come across. 

What troubles me most about the lack of ARA support is the fact that Steinberg seems to think their own pitch and time correction code is so good that they simply don't understand why anybody would want a seamless Melodyne implementation.  I'm not sure I want to get hooked up with a company that thinks that way.  I would like to see a clear statement of direction about industry standards.

It supports Rewire. I need to test Melodyne. 
2017/11/26 19:44:27
cityrat
Cubase 9.5 pro looks pretty amazing... still considering it.
The big negative for me seems to be the Steinberg forums.  Not a really warm, welcoming place compared to here.
2017/11/26 19:48:08
Skyline_UK
cityrat
Cubase 9.5 pro looks pretty amazing... still considering it.
The big negative for me seems to be the Steinberg forums.  Not a really warm, welcoming place compared to here.

And all the posts have to be pre-approved which seems a wee bit officious.
2017/11/26 20:09:09
ebibault51
No, Resonant Serpent, I meant the colours in the console view of SONAR. It's basically a Pro-Tools feature, that Cakewalk abandoned with Tungsten theme, but a quite important part of users liked it. And I think that Cubase hasn't got it.
2017/11/26 20:09:39
dorism
The Steinberg forums are just like here. Lots of really cool & helpful people. At no point have my posts ever been pre approved.
2017/11/26 20:13:19
ebibault51
I think I'll accept the Cubase crossgrade offer. It would be cool to sign our messages in the Steinberg forum with "SONAR Crossgrade" or something else, we could recognize our SONAR friends and help each other to migrate to Cubase.
2017/11/26 20:38:19
ibediggin
this is nuts

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account