• Software
  • message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg (p.27)
2017/11/26 21:01:21
Resonant Serpent
dorism
The Steinberg forums are just like here. Lots of really cool & helpful people. At no point have my posts ever been pre approved.

If you're brand new, they put the brakes on and you need to be approved. But, they only did it to my first post and none after. This was about 1.5 years ago.
2017/11/26 21:06:14
Hangdog Cat
ebibault51
I think I'll accept the Cubase crossgrade offer. It would be cool to sign our messages in the Steinberg forum with "SONAR Crossgrade" or something else, we could recognize our SONAR friends and help each other to migrate to Cubase.

How about "Sonar Refugee"?
2017/11/26 21:12:38
Resonant Serpent
ebibault51
No, Resonant Serpent, I meant the colours in the console view of SONAR. It's basically a Pro-Tools feature, that Cakewalk abandoned with Tungsten theme, but a quite important part of users liked it. And I think that Cubase hasn't got it.

Oh, I see now. The full strips can be colored in the track view, but you're right. Not in the mixer. It does the bottom name tab, and you can do the fader. I color my faders based on track type to keep things organized. 
2017/11/26 21:21:16
beltrom
I went with the crossgrade on Steinbergs own shop. They verified that it was ok to crossgrade within an hour (on a Sunday!). 

I felt it was time to move on, deciding where to go was harder. The natural choice would have been Presonus Studio one V3, I had it since before and actually like a lot of things about it but I don't seem to be able to get really fluent with it for some weird reason. Reaper is impressive, and there are some brilliant solutions in there, but I would get confused by it all the time. Mixcraft was interesting and probably would be easiest to change to, but there's a couple of (just about) dealbreakers for me. So boldly/stupidly making the choice based on youtube and info on the web I got Cubase. I realise it's behind Sonar in some features (and better at some stuff) but the ara/melodyne-issue doesn't bother me that much, even though I have melodyne studio. If need be I can work melodyne as standalone, as a VST, rewire or even in Studio one, and if they add a couple of features to the Cubase solution I might actually never need melodyne. 

Really sad day for me. I've used Cakewalk since dos version 2 (have the box still). But it really feels like whatever will happen with Cakewalk and Sonar in the future I would anyway want to change my main DAW, so might as well do it now when this crossgrade is offered - and I will try to change my feelings towards anticipation to give Cubase a fair chance. Last time I tried it was over ten years ago...

2017/11/26 21:43:49
markiv2290
35mm
If I do go this route I hope Cubase isn't as buggy as it was last time I used it - quite a few years ago :) The first time I used it was on an Atari ST around 1988ish.

Back in the days, I went from
Cool Edit Pro
to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9
to Cubase SX 1
to SX 2

I found Cubase SX to be very buggy and unstable. This is the precise reason why I switched to Sonar!

That was a long time ago though, so I do wonder how stable Cubase is nowadays.
2017/11/26 23:15:36
ebibault51
Thank you Resonant Serpent. If we can colour the faders, I think it will be OK!

Hangdog Cat: Sonar Refugee is a funny name :-)
2017/11/26 23:17:55
TemplesGateStudio
A Steinberg Customer Support Story (circa 2007?)

Years ago.. during the Cubase SX life cycle.. I had SX2 and upgraded to SX3.. and while Sx3 was out.. and still on sale in their online store (and of course retailers everywhere) Steinberg pulled the plug on "all support for SX3 and prior versions" to focus resources on something else. I forget if they were preparing to launch the new "Cubase 4" or something (actually I think it had to do with focusing development resources on making Cubase 4 64 bit).. I don't think it was Neundo but it may have been. Anyways.. there was a near riot on the Steinberg forums and many (including myself) left Cubase and went forward to find a new "DAW home." That search led me to Cakewalk Sonar 7.. and I've had every version of Sonar since.

I think the main issue was the decision to abandon their customers (and future customers before they even bought the software).. who's to say it won't ever happen again. I'm not interested in being in that mess again. Nor do I wish to use another dongle. They seemed to have a rather "flippant" attitude about their consumer base. I've bought Studio One Professional PLUS Notion 6 for under $210 this weekend at GC. No crossgrade, upgrade or anything. I'll cut my teeth on that. Heck, I might even have a reason to go Mac now.. Sonar was largely the only reason keeping me in Windoze land. 
2017/11/26 23:26:42
Hangdog Cat
ebibault51
Thank you Resonant Serpent. If we can colour the faders, I think it will be OK!

Hangdog Cat: Sonar Refugee is a funny name :-)

I have to admit I didn't originate that term. Someone used it in an earlier post, probably on a different thread.

2017/11/27 00:21:36
cohenville1
Does anyone know (Greg?) for how long the $255 Cubase crossgrade offer will be offered?  It's a little difficult to make such a decision in one weekend with all that has transpired.  Thanks... 
2017/11/27 01:05:16
cityrat
cohenville1
Does anyone know (Greg?) for how long the $255 Cubase crossgrade offer will be offered?  It's a little difficult to make such a decision in one weekend with all that has transpired.  Thanks... 

^^^^^^^^^^^this +1
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account