• Software
  • message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg (p.28)
2017/11/27 01:29:08
cparmerlee
cityrat
The big negative for me seems to be the Steinberg forums.  Not a really warm, welcoming place compared to here.

The user forum seems to reflect the arrogance that the company broadcasts.

Speaking of arrogance, it does see that the sales rep from Steinberg did a drive-by dump on this forum and then left.  If he doesn't know the answers to the very straightforward questions asked here, I would have thought at minimum he would acknowledge that and indicate when he would get back with answers.  But let's not judge him too harshly.  It can't be easy working with the corporate people at Steinberg.

The crossgrade price was hardly any discount at all, so I am going to wait on this.  I think I can accomplish everything I need with the StudioOne license I already have.  If I eventually decide I can't survive without the blessings of Steinberg, well, I'll pay the extra $30 for the regular price crossgrade.
2017/11/27 01:40:04
Hangdog Cat
The discount was $70, not $30, off the regular crossgrade price.
2017/11/27 01:58:35
entrelac
He did say there will be an interactive Google hangout on the Cubase YouTube channel on the 28th at noon EST. Presumably they'll answer a lot of questions then.
2017/11/27 02:00:41
35mm
I'm thinking of dropping my wodge on Cubase. I'm thinking it's better the devil I once knew (a very long time ago). But if there is no demo or if I need to buy an e-licenser just to try it, then that makes it very hard without some kind of money back guarantee. I at least want to test that it works with my hardware.

This is frustrating. I could get a mega deal on Studio One right now, download it and get to work. Or wait for a demo, and miss the deal on Cubase. Or buy Cubase, wait ages for it to arrive just to discover that it doesn't play well with my gear.

No replies from The Steinberg rep really doesn't help either!
2017/11/27 02:12:23
Ken Matson
Everybody does realize it's a holiday weekend right?
2017/11/27 02:20:46
cparmerlee
Hangdog Cat
The discount was $70, not $30, off the regular crossgrade price.

There is some confusion about the dongle.  Some people say it is bundled with the normal boxed crossgrade.  If so, then it seems the net difference is about $30.

If $30 or $70 really makes a difference, then the customer is probably looking at the wrong end of the product spectrum.
2017/11/27 02:31:03
Edu Camargo
Just visiting this forum to checc the latest info about the future of  Cakewalk and its products...

Thanks Greg for your message. I don't know what the future holds for me at this point, but until Cubase developers (or Steinberg developers in general) hop into native accessibility for blind users as Sonar did since the X1 encarnation, unfortunately I won't go for Cubase.

Yes, I'm doing fine with HaLion 6 and HaLion Sonic interfaces thanks to the Windows 10 OCR feature, but having Cubase to use UI Automation allowing screen readers such as NVDA or MS Narrator to provide us feedback on accessing the software features would give us a better workflow... Unfortunately, Cubase can't be an option for blind musicians at this stage.

Again, thanks.

2017/11/27 03:43:19
Saxon1066
cparmerlee
chuckebaby
If its for "Sonar only" users than im very grateful.

Looking at the Sweetwater site, this appears to be a general crossgrade offer from ANY qualifying product, nothing special for SONAR.

It seems that in some respects Cubase is lagging far behind what we were accustomed to with SONAR.  Is it true they are not supporting the Melodyne regions with ARA integration?  If 9.5 is only just out, then it seems we'd be looking at 2019 before getting that feature.  It is in StudioOne Already.

There are some aspects of Cubase that look interesting, but frankly I am put off by what seems like quite a limited architecture, where they only support a certain number of tracks and only a certain number of effects per track and so on.  It is hard to see that as a top tier product with such limitations.

What?  Only a certain number of tracks in Cubase?  Limited fx per track?  Whoa.  That's a dealbreaker for me, since I usually do many takes of any guitar part, then comp. them later.

How many tracks can you use, if I may ask?  Is there universal bussing, like in Sonar?
2017/11/27 03:53:12
cparmerlee
Saxon1066
How many tracks can you use, if I may ask?  Is there universal bussing, like in Sonar?

I don't know.  I have not found a specific reference.  From what I can tell, the pro version has unlimited tracks, but the other versions limit tracks.

I think all versions have exactly 8 insert slots per track, but there is also a "channel strip" that has Steinberg's limiter, compressor, maximizer, etc, so 8 other inserts may not be a problem.

I have not seen anything that indicates how many sends can be created, but I wouldn't be surprised to see hard limits on that.

Another strange thing is that of the 8 inserts, only the last one is post-fade.  I don't think you can set the insert point for each insert.  And I don't think you can control the signal flow sequence of the inserts, and the channel strip.  I think all of the inserts come before the channel strip, or maybe it is vice versa.

It looks like a first generation digital mixer board to me.  In practice, that may be fine.  It just doesn't seem nearly as elegant as SONAR.
2017/11/27 04:15:23
35mm
Cubase Pro has 16 insert effect slots per channel which are more than enough. Any of those can be pre or post. Take a look at the website if you really want to know about it. https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/cubase_pro.html
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account