• Software
  • message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg (p.30)
2017/11/27 08:20:08
tonydude

Check this post on Celemony's website: http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc2-content/filtermelodynestudio4/en/m4tour_daw_cubase.html

Brian

Thanks that is useful.

The ability to view/edit multiple tracks in Melodyne and switch between them is the killer feature. 

It sounds like Cubase will only allow me to work on one track at a time in Melodyne. Am I right?

~ Tony
2017/11/27 08:21:58
denverdrummer
Saxon1066
Well, I'm definitely going to switch to something; it's a good time, since I'm going with a new computer to replace my Win 7 machine, too.  I'm weighing Cubase and Studio One.  Which has better support or user forums?

Compared to here neither.  I do think the PreSonus forums are a little more forgiving to noobs.  I don't know why the Cubase forums are so impersonal.  I'd actually recommend using the homerecoding.com forums under the steinberg section.  Very helpful info there.
2017/11/27 08:23:29
JClosed
Well - If this ending of Sonar has learned me one thing, it's that you never should "lay your eggs in one basket".

That's the reason I had Cubase next to Sonar, and that's the reason I now own Cubase, but also Ableton Live and (yes I know) FL-Studio. Yes - It's a bit of a learning curve for each of them. And I am not getting younger (I am 62 now), but still am able to learn enough to be very comfortable with each of those programs. I have spread the risks that way. If one of those DAW's goes belly-up like Sonar did, I still have a few left that are in active development.
2017/11/27 11:48:09
ebibault51
About someone saying that someone else had a bad Steinberg experience. I'm not surprised about the fact that Steinberg isn't the most customer-friendly company around, it's a fact. But you've got no idea about the other companies. Are they better? Just type "presonus poor customer support" in Google...

Presonus is a US company, that doesn't mean really consumer-friendly. The German companies like Magix, Melodyne and Steinberg are obsessed with piracy and property rights (for example Magix sells sound collections that aren't commercially free of use, you have to pay more...). The French are also on the music market and if one day they make a DAW, I wouldn't be confident about the customer support!

What I want to say is that I don't see any company or any country which gives me 100% guarantee of honesty. We have to make a choice and we don't know what they will do. I will choose Cubase because the features are similar to SONAR and sometimes better (chords), it's a famous company, with a quite universal file format and it's in a big Japanese group. But maybe I'm wrong.
2017/11/27 12:39:20
Greg Ondo
rmfegley
Greg Ondo

each window can be freely located on any available screen and instantly recalled via a workspace that configures the screen layouts of windows as presets that can be assigned globally or specifically to a project.

Can they be assigned/recalled with keyboard shortcuts?

Also, just watching the "What's new" intro video, I see that Cubase has bezier automation curves, something that FL Studio has had for a long time but which I've been wishing to see in Sonar as well. And I've only recently come across the term VCA fader and wasn't sure what it did, but seeing it in the demo video it looks awesome, actually. 

Still lots of questions but I plan on attending the migration hangout with those.

The workspaces can be recalled through keyboard shortcuts.

All the best,

Greg
2017/11/27 12:41:34
Greg Ondo
cityrat
Can we get an idea of how long the offer will be? 
Would really like to try a demo and don't want to "miss" the deal if I like it.
Where can I get a demo version (have a eLicencer)?

I believe the offer will be through the end of the year and look for a trial version in the coming days.

All the best,

Greg
2017/11/27 12:46:22
Greg Ondo
wmountney
Ken Matson
Yeah while I know Cubase is fine software, the combination of having to have a hardware dongle and the lack of ARA support is enough to probably push me to Studio One.

Yeah, and if you think about it, it seems very unlikely that Steinberg will ever add ARA support to Cubase.  I think that because they created two of the fundamental pro audio standards, ASIO and VST, their ego will now not allow them to embrace any pro audio standard that they didn't create themselves.  They even felt a need to replicate the functionality of iLoK with their eLicenser system, including all of its good and bad aspects, right down to copying some of the same terminology and procedures of iLoK, such as their "Zero Downtime" process.

The most likely thing Steinberg would do to support ARA plugins would be creating their own API to replicate the functionality of ARA, and then expecting Celemony and Synchro Arts and to come out with versions of their plugins to work with that system.  But they probably wouldn't even do that unless they needed such a system to support one of their own plugins.

mritenburg
Four questions:

1. Is the $255 crossgrade the one that is 50% off?
2. How long will the promotion run?
3. Does Sweetwater carry the USB eLicenser?
4. Up above Greg said that Cubase does support ARA, but there are subsequent posts complaining that it does not.  What is the full story on ARA support?

Thanks!

Steinberg does not support ARA.  .
The price you mentioned is the discounted price.
I think the promotion will run through the rest of the year.
Sweetwater carries the USB elicenser.

All the best,

Greg
2017/11/27 12:49:36
Greg Ondo
AndrewLMacaulay
Some questions:
* level of multi monitor support
* level of support for hi-dpi monitors
* support for touch monitors
* plans for support for Surface devices: Pen and Dial
* more detail on 32-bit VST support/limitations on 64-bit version
* any support for DX/DXi
* MIDI FX included
* any support for/equivalent of ProChannel

We3 will go over these topics on the hangout.  Thanks for asking.

All the best,

Greg
2017/11/27 12:50:29
Greg Ondo
AndrewLMacaulay
Will this be recorded as well? Looks like I'll be driving at this time, so will be unable to attend.

It will be available to watch offline shortly after the hangout.

All the best,

Greg
2017/11/27 12:53:03
Greg Ondo
awakerman
Hello Greg,
I have a eLicenser USB Key from the Cubase 4 essential .
Can I use it for the Cubase 9.5 version ?
Is it the same ?
Thanks

It is the same.

All the best,

Greg
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account