• Software
  • message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg (p.45)
2017/12/01 08:46:09
mudgel
My USB dongle for Cubase arrived this afternoon and it all went without a hitch. I'm now an activated Cubase user.

Still a mystery why I didn't have to provide any details of my Sonar membership/ownership to confirm my eligibility for this crossgrade.
2017/12/01 08:58:12
Frank-US
michael diemer
Fortunately I do have a dongle. I had to get one for my Vienna Instruments library. But they have something called the 9.5 demo project. Not sure what that is, but it's under 1 GB, so can't be much of a demo. I'll see tomorrow what I have, the download should be done by then.

I've already demoed Elements, and I have AI from my purchase of the UR-22, so I have something of an idea of how it works. I had imported a project and figured out how to configure everything for midi, it's faitly intuitive. I'm mainly interested in what the score editor looks like. The one in all the lower level versions is even worse than Sonar's.

The 9.5 demo project is the demo song.
2017/12/01 09:02:00
Frank-US
mudgel
My USB dongle for Cubase arrived this afternoon and it all went without a hitch. I'm now an activated Cubase user.

As I have mentioned in a another thread, I could not answer your PM since I'm allowed by the system yet.
My answer would have been what you have experienced - don't expect big problems 
2017/12/01 10:15:17
JClosed
cparmerlee
JClosed
The standard equalizer in the channel strip gives visual feedback. Just select an audio track and click on "Equalizers" in the inspector to get e small visual presentation. To get a bigger presentation, click on the "e" in the inspector and the channel settings window opens. There you can select the "Equalizer" tab to bring up a more detailed view.

Wow, that's a long way to go to get the window to open.  I was working on the equalizer in the mix window.  I would have expected some way to open the big window from there.  This stuff feels like you need a "secret handshake" for so many things that ought to be simple.  Last night, I enabled the Control Room, which was easy.  There was a big button in the middle of the Control Room display.  Later I was afraid this had created to redundant pathing so I wanted to simple disable the control room.  I literally searched for over an hour, including going through many articles in the Cubase documentation before i finally figured out you have to press F4 to set another window to pop up -- which doesn't match any of the documentation I saw.  On the pop-up window, there is a button to turn off the Control Room.

It seems really twisted to me that such a button would not actually be on the Control Room panel itself.

In the end, the CR was not my problem anyway.  That ended up being a different issue outside of Cubase.

Well - you can simply assign a key to the channel settings. You do that by going to the file menu and choose "key Commands", search for "Channel Settings", and assign a key. I personally have "`" assigned for that. And now, when I have a track selected, I simply press "`" to open the channel settings. I can scroll up and down tracks using the arrow keys, and the channel settings window changes to that channel. Very handy to compare settings or signals.

Oh - and when you have clicked once on "Equalizers" in the inspector, it stays open when you switch between channels, so you only have to do one click.

And yes - when you start dabbling with a new program, you have to find your way in it and have to learn some new things. Next time you know you have to press "F4" for the Audio connections (and "F2" for the floating transport window, "F3" for the mixer, "F5" for the media bay, "F6 for the automation panel, "F7" for Direct offline processing, "F8" for the video player, "F9" and "F10" for switching up/down between edit modes, like you also can do with keys 1-0, "F11" is VST instruments and finally "F12" is the performance meter").

Every DAW has some new things to learn and does some things different. In Cubase you can assign key commands very easy, and for more complex things you can design your own macro's.
2017/12/01 10:43:46
mudgel
Frank-US
mudgel

As I have mentioned in a another thread, I could not answer your PM since I'm allowed by the system yet.
My answer would have been what you have experienced - don't expect big problems 

Appreciate your answer here.
2017/12/01 12:21:40
bwbalint
I did get TouchOSC working with Cubase last night. I used this on my phone to remotely control Sonar. AZSlow had come up with a simple and workable template to remotely choose tracks, arm and record. I can’t use the same template right now, but I have TouchOSC at least responding to Cubase. So this is possible!
2017/12/01 12:40:35
Shambler
mudgel

Still a mystery why I didn't have to provide any details of my Sonar membership/ownership to confirm my eligibility for this crossgrade.

Strange, I received a verification email and replied with a snip of my Sonar serial number, response was pretty quick.

I've downloaded it last night, will check it out tonight or over the weekend.
2017/12/01 15:08:55
Amicus717
Does anyone know how long the welcome crossgrade promotion is going to run? All I have found in terms of information is "for a limited time"...have they mentioned a specific end-date anywhere? I've searched the forum, but there is so much Cubase static on the forum and so many posts to sort through, I didn't find anything.

I do find Steinberg to be the hardest company to get information out of, both in terms of their website and their general sales channels. I'm still looking for a Canadian distributor with updated information on this crossgrade -- the Yamaha Canada site, which is listed as the official distribution channel for Steinberg in Canada, still shows Cubase 7.5 as the most current version...

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/music_production/steinberg_products/steinberg_software/cubase/index.html

I asked one of the dudes at Long & McQuade (Canada's answer to Guitar Centre) and the dude didn't even know what I was talking about. But he said he'd look into it...
2017/12/01 15:19:19
Frank-US
Amicus717
Does anyone know how long the welcome crossgrade promotion is going to run? All I have found in terms of information is "for a limited time"...have they mentioned a specific end-date anywhere? I've searched the forum, but there is so much Cubase static on the forum and so many posts to sort through, I didn't find anything.

I do find Steinberg to be the hardest company to get information out of, both in terms of their website and their general sales channels. I'm still looking for a Canadian distributor with updated information on this crossgrade -- the Yamaha Canada site, which is listed as the official distribution channel for Steinberg in Canada, still shows Cubase 7.5 as the most current version...

I asked one of the dudes at Long & McQuade (Canada's answer to Guitar Centre) and the dude didn't even know what I was talking about. But he said he'd look into it...

The offer should last until end of December. We will follow up what went wrong there. And we will find a solution for that problem.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Frank
2017/12/01 15:47:43
Amicus717
Thanks, much appreciated. The Long & Mcquade guy was pretty shocked when I mentioned Cakewalk closing and the Cubase deal. They sell Cakewalk products but they had heard nothing about Cakewalk closing up shop. They sell the full range of Cakewalk products, including retail box stuff. I'm pretty surprised this information hasn't been passed along Cakewalk's distribution channels...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account