• Software
  • message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg (p.46)
2017/12/01 16:01:20
Frank-US
Amicus717
Thanks, much appreciated. The Long & Mcquade guy was pretty shocked when I mentioned Cakewalk closing and the Cubase deal. They sell Cakewalk products but they had heard nothing about Cakewalk closing up shop. They sell the full range of Cakewalk products, including retail box stuff. I'm pretty surprised this information hasn't been passed along Cakewalk's distribution channels...

Yes, astonishing. I mean, that chap should know.
Whatever, we are already on the case and do hope that we come back with more infos next week (for many, it is already weekend)
Best,
Frank
2017/12/01 16:28:34
Joe_A
Another misstep by Gibson. Any organization that isn't notifying all their retailers immediately in this circumstance is showing lack of concern for others. Embarrassing is the word I'd use.
2017/12/01 17:52:47
michael diemer
Frank-US
michael diemer
Fortunately I do have a dongle. I had to get one for my Vienna Instruments library. But they have something called the 9.5 demo project. Not sure what that is, but it's under 1 GB, so can't be much of a demo. I'll see tomorrow what I have, the download should be done by then.

The 9.5 demo project is the demo song.

Ah, the mystery is solved. Good thing I went ahead and downloaded the 11GB file.
2017/12/01 19:31:34
LMG
Frank-US
mudgel
My USB dongle for Cubase arrived this afternoon and it all went without a hitch. I'm now an activated Cubase user.

As I have mentioned in a another thread, I could not answer your PM since I'm allowed by the system yet.
My answer would have been what you have experienced - don't expect big problems 

Dear Frank. Are you a Steinberg rep? Would you be so kind to clarify the following situations/concerns for all of us that want to move to Cubase but are outside of the US:

My local distributor is not aware of this special and not even have Cubase 9. So I need and want to purchase it online. My concern is regarding activation of geo-tagged software, support and updates.

SCENARIOS

SCENARIO 1
I go on vacation to US. Purchase the Cubase crossgrade download from Sweetwater. Activate the product while I'm in the US and then go back to my country.

1.a) is that legal from Steinberg's point of view? Am I a legit user from Steinberg's point of view?

1.b) will I receive support from Steinberg.net?

1.c) will I be able to legally receive updates as well as purchase future upgrades?

SCENARIO 2
I go to the US on vacation and buy a BOXED product of Cubase. If I go back to my country and try to activate it, it won'twork because all boxed Cubase sold in the US are geo-tagged to be used only in the US?

SCENARIO 3
If I purchase a boxed version of Cubase from ANY store other than the local distributor for my country, it will never work?

SCENARIO 4
If in any way I am lucky to get the Crossgrade download and I get the famous message "The activation code you entered was intended for use within the USA and you seem to be located outside the USA. While you can still proceed to activate the license, you might not receive any official technical customer support or updates in case you are located outside the USA as this version may be a Gray import." And proceed to activate it.

4.a) is that legal from Steinberg's point of view? Am I a legit user from Steinberg's point of view?

4.b) will I receive support from Steinberg.net?

4.c) will I be able to legally receive updates as well as purchase future upgrades?

Thank you in advance!
2017/12/01 19:52:42
michael diemer
riojazz
fwrend
riojazz
There does not appear to be info in the 1064 page manual specifically about the differences.  There is a section about the Artist version but no description of what is missing that you would get in the Pro version.

Cubase Version Comparison

EDIT: oops, missed the end of 35mm's post - oh well :)

Thanks, but that's what I mentioned in the post has NO detail.  All it says is professional notation versus basic notation.

I am now demoing Pro, and have been able to expand to 8 bars across the page. You can do more if you want. The relevant info can be found here:

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/midi_editor_score_editor/designing_your_score_additional_techniques/score_editor_automatically_c.html

The first option is what you want to do.
I'm now trying to figure out how to select any number of notes, like 12 bars worth, but so  far no luck, except to reduce zoom. I just asked on their forum about this.

2017/12/01 20:09:08
Amicus717
LMG

Dear Frank. Are you a Steinberg rep? Would you be so kind to clarify the following situations/concerns for all of us that want to move to Cubase but are outside of the US:

My local distributor is not aware of this special and not even have Cubase 9. So I need and want to purchase it online. My concern is regarding activation of geo-tagged software, support and updates.

LMG, your profile doesn't mention where you're from, but if you are from Canada like I am, and looking for the Cubase upgrade cost: I've made local inquiries with some Canadian stores who have all said they will get back to me about it, and Frank (who certainly sounds like a Cubase rep) has mentioned that access to the product in Canada will be made possible - if it isn't already. 

I hadn't planned on even considering Cubase, but after trying the Essentials demo -- and being pretty impressed with it -- I'm actual entertaining the idea of bringing Cubase on as my back-up / eventual main tool.

Update: the guy from my local store just called me back, said their Steinberg rep told him that something is being worked out in Canada, and they'd have more information by the end of next week. 
2017/12/01 21:23:57
Glyn Barnes
Cubase 9.5 boxed arrived (to me in the UK) from Germany today, I ordered on Tuesday.

I paid the extra £6 for media and saved a bit of downloading, it would have been a largish download with the Halion and Groove Agent content etc. This content went to my sample drive without too much bother. The location selection was certainly more obvious than that in the 8.5 demo.

First i made a disk image, which I will keep as a frozen in time "Sonar was working" image. Installation and activation was straightforward. I was able to use my existing eLicenser which has another license on it, I did not see the option to order a copy without the eLicencer, so now I have a spare.

It has remembered the default project location folder I set up for the 8.5 demo, even though that had been uninstalled.

Looking at the VST blacklist, most are 32 bit, then there are Korg Legacy collection which has lost its activation after a windows update yet again. The only point of concern is Izotope, the VST2 have been blacklisted, I hope because its using VST3 versions. I managed to insert an instance of Iris, I will check the rest out in due course.

2017/12/01 21:25:12
LMG
Amicus717
LMG

LMG, your profile doesn't mention where you're from, but if you are from Canada like I am, and looking for the Cubase upgrade cost: I've made local inquiries with some Canadian stores who have all said they will get back to me about it, and Frank (who certainly sounds like a Cubase rep) has mentioned that access to the product in Canada will be made possible - if it isn't already. 

I hadn't planned on even considering Cubase, but after trying the Essentials demo -- and being pretty impressed with it -- I'm actual entertaining the idea of bringing Cubase on as my back-up / eventual main tool.

Update: the guy from my local store just called me back, said their Steinberg rep told him that something is being worked out in Canada, and they'd have more information by the end of next week. 

Hey! Thanks for your input. Actually, I'm from Argentina. But same situation as yours as well as everyone who tried to place the order through Sweetwater and it was declined (except for our aussie friend Mudgel who somehow made it through). Let's see what information Frank can give us.
2017/12/01 23:04:13
Frank-US
Folks, it is quite late over here... We have contacted in the meantime again the distribution partners that are not Europe or US. If this does not workout for want ever reason, we will have a plan B.

Every Sonar Customer who wants to check out the trial or want to cross-grade is welcome.
And we will find ways to make this happen for those who running into problems.

Best as always,
Frank
2017/12/01 23:59:34
Amicus717
Genuinely appreciate that, Frank. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account