• Software
  • message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg (p.7)
2017/11/24 02:02:33
telecharge
husker
Bummer

Like Karyn said, the license follows the dongle. So, as long as you've got the dongle with you, you're good to go.

I've not looked into putting the same license on 2 different dongles, but I'm guessing it won't work.
2017/11/24 02:07:51
Karyn
You'll not be able to put the same license on two dongles.   But even the Sonar license doesn't allow you to use Sonar in two places at once....  they trust you to keep it single user, even if you loaded many machines.
2017/11/24 02:16:38
dannyjmusic
Thx
2017/11/24 02:55:51
ampfixer
How do we view this hangout thing? It's on the 28th but no link.
2017/11/24 03:52:59
Zo
Guyz do we need a physicaal dongle ?
2017/11/24 03:59:59
soens
How do I do this when I have no more USB ports? I have a 10 port hub that's filled up.
2017/11/24 04:06:23
Unknowen
Greg Ondo
Sanderxpander
With Cubase, how does licensing work? I've heard about an e-Licenser, do I need that for Cubase? Presumably it's a USB dongle type solution? Is it a proprietary thing or can I use any USB stick? If not, can I at least use iLok? I have my Waves/IK/Overloud on a USB stick and I really don't want to use multiple ports on my laptop just for dongles.

Cubase Elements uses a software based elicenser and Cubase Artist and Pro utilize a USB elicenser which is different than an ilok.  I travel extensively and use a simple non powered hub that I got at Best Buy for $7 and run my audio interface, wireless mouse, elicenser, and ilok without any issue on multiple computers.

All the best,

Greg

And we can see here that the "elicenser" is mentioned and $7 for the usb hub but not that elicenserit is not free its like what? $35 and uses a usb JUST for Steinberg products only. my point... deceptive answer! 
2017/11/24 04:09:24
Unknowen
Karyn
You'll not be able to put the same license on two dongles.   But even the Sonar license doesn't allow you to use Sonar in two places at once....  they trust you to keep it single user, even if you loaded many machines.

So is it that you are a spokesperson for Steinberg  here?  you pinned this sales ad here against the rules!
2017/11/24 04:10:11
telecharge
Zo
Guyz do we need a physicaal dongle ?

For Artist and above, yes, you do. Elements uses their software eLicenser.

soens
How do I do this when I have no more USB ports? I have a 10 port hub that's filled up.

Buy more hardware?

2017/11/24 04:11:13
Unknowen
Anderton
Cubase is a fine program. I am well versed in it, and have used it much in the past. They even use my Quadrafuzz processor in there, and they were very kind to make sure it had my blessing before they released it.

I think the point that is being missed here is that every DAW has a different personality, different set of strengths, and aims for a different target audience. It is not the job of the software to align with your needs, it is your job to find out which software aligns best with your needs. There are some people for example who would use Cubase and couldn't stand the thought of using Reason. But there are others who would use Reason and find Cubase cumbersome.

You really owe it to yourselves to download demos and play with these programs for a while, rather than obsess about crossgrade prices, how it's licensed, etc. Find out which program has good "chemistry" with you, learn it, and make great music. Although these programs have many similarities, it is the differences that will cause people to choose one over the other. No single program does it all or is bug-free...YOU have to choose the one that comes closest to your needs.

Excuse me! but this STILL is the Cakewalk forum! NOT the other software area! 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account