• Software
  • DAW Deals & Comparisons (p.2)
2017/12/07 21:27:11
Skyline_UK
35mm
The deals are;
  • Cubase Pro 9.5 - $250 - crossgrade available from the steinberg.net web store in the EU/UK, Sweetwater in the US or your local Yamaha distributor elsewhere. Deal ends at the end of the year.

No deal here in the UK.  If I go to Steinberg's crossgrade page the price is £248.  £1=$1 ?!?!  And there's no special deal for Sonar users. 
I can't afford that sort of cash, so I'll pass.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/crossgrades.html
2017/12/09 04:20:35
35mm
Skyline_UK
35mm
The deals are;
  • Cubase Pro 9.5 - $250 - crossgrade available from the steinberg.net web store in the EU/UK, Sweetwater in the US or your local Yamaha distributor elsewhere. Deal ends at the end of the year.

No deal here in the UK.  If I go to Steinberg's crossgrade page the price is £248.  £1=$1 ?!?!  And there's no special deal for Sonar users. 
I can't afford that sort of cash, so I'll pass.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/crossgrades.html

That is the deal. I'm in the UK too. It's quite a bit less than the usual crossgrade price. I would really recommend you check out the Samplitude Pro X3 Suite deal if you want a pro end DAW on a par with Cubase for a fraction of the price.
2017/12/09 04:22:09
35mm
Tony Shaffer
This was marvelously helpful.

You've been watching too many "Produce Like A Pro" videos on Youtube :)
2017/12/09 12:41:57
BJN
Wow that is an awesome price for Sammy, Man that is the best deal! But that crossgrade to Cubase is
an awesome price especially if your a midi user
2017/12/09 13:47:52
PH68
I've started using Ableton Live, only because I got the "Lite" version free with my new M-Audio Interface.
To upgrade to their "Standard" version will be just under £200 with current deals.

I'm liking Ableton so far.
Not in a great rush to change, as Sonar still works.
I'll download trial versions of Cubase/ProTools/etc.. and then look out for a reasonable deal.
2017/12/09 17:57:08
Cactus Music
Great job of covering this hot topic. I bet half of the forum members have been demoing away all week.
I tried Cubase, Mix Craft, Studio 1 and Mix bus. 

Out of them all I bought Mixbus4 because @ $29 USD ( 36 CAN ) I felt it was more than worth the price.

Note: You can use the demo forever and there's just a very easily ignored low level noise. 

I'm looking forward to mixing down Sonar created audio files on my next album. 
Forget using midi it's real bad at that, but it's a gem with handling audio. Everyone should grab a copy at this price. 

Cubase: I own Elements 7 and have poked around on and off over time. I tried the 8 demo and found nothing new or exciting has been added. Big waste of 9 GB of downloading. And my take is even though people say it's a good midi editor, midi is where I have always had a bad experience with Cubase. I'm sorry but it's like using Sonar 6.  Bottom line is I already own Cubase if I need it and can take advantage of upgrade pricing if need be. 

Mix Craft; I liked it and if it's all I had could get by,  but it's not worth the money to me, nothing gained, once again, I can always use an old version of Sonar and have more features than offered here. 

Studio 1: I already have the free version from 2 years ago, and played around, didn't try the full demo as my bandwidth is limited and not sure I need to go there. I like the looks and feel of it but once again, it's like opening Sonar 8.5 and not worth the price to me. 

So I have a few back ups already and better deals will always happen. If you read the latest news we got today it sounds like there is a 33.3% chance of Sonar carrying on. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com...tatement-m3705824.aspx
2017/12/09 20:21:53
abacab
I will carry on with Sonar as my main all-around DAW, with an eye to the future.

But having tried the demos for products listed as the main DAW deals in the OP (except for Mixbus), I am close to pulling the trigger on Studio One Pro to have one supported, all-around DAW, to grow into.  I really like the idea of scratchpads and arranger tracks.

I picked up the recent deal on Overture, so that covers notation needs.

For music idea generators, I have and will continue to use Ableton Live, Band in a Box, Ignite, and Waveform.  But if Studio One pans out well for me in this area, these alternative tools may become less necessary.  These other tools all offered me some workflow perks in areas that Cakewalk development had lagged behind with.

But as a core DAW I think we are all realizing now, more than ever, that Sonar has something special which will be hard to replace... 
2017/12/10 06:33:26
mkerl
Question is, what you need to do with your DAW. I work with Videos too, and it's nice to have the possibility to create surround Sound. There are only Cubase, Pro Tools, Digital Performer and Samplitude that can do the job. But I won't buy any of these, don't like Cubase, not the money for Pro Tools, don't want to work through Digital Performer (no Vst3!!) or Samplitude actually - so I'll better stay with Sonar for this. But I like Studio One from what I see, quick, easy, fun. Mixcraft is not so bad too, but Video - ok, you can do some edits in the footage, but it only opens mp4. And of course, I already have Videosoftware to edit . . . hmmmm.

Maybe I just take the unique opportunity with Studio one as an (incredible small) Investment in the future . . .  
2017/12/10 16:58:25
abacab
You can import video into Studio One, sync it up, and/or extract audio from it.  https://ask.audio/articles/working-with-video-in-presonus-studio-one

The manual covers the details.  Here is info on supported formats.

QuickTime is the only supported video technology for the Studio One video player. QuickTime plays any video format for which a codec is installed in the system. If the video player displays No Codec after importing a video, then the codec could not be found.

If you are a Mac OS X user, we highly recommend downloading Perian, which is an open source QuickTime component
that adds native support for many popular video formats, such as DivX and XVid.

If you are a Windows user, Studio One attempts to use whatever video codecs you have installed in the system. If you encounter issues with a certain codec, it may be helpful to search out an alternate codec for that video format.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account