• Software
  • Reaper/ XLN VST location question - SOLVED!!!
2018/01/03 03:47:23
rspagnuolo
Hello fellow Sonarians,
I'm hoping that some of us are looking at Reaper and might have solved this question already.
I'm checking it out and can't get it to see the XLN Addictive Keys that I want to try out. The file is not called a DLL extension, but rather a resource or similar. I learned what to do with a DLL file but not this.
I've searched for "addictive drums and vst" in this forum and in the Reaper forums with no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks
Ray
2018/01/03 03:50:14
Bflat5
No clue about Reaper... Yet. But you may want to make sure Addictive Keys is authorized in the XLN installer. Especially if you're using Win10.

Then make sure you have the plugin path for correct in Reaper.
2018/01/03 04:03:38
scook
rspagnuolo
The file is not called a DLL extension, but rather a resource or similar. I learned what to do with a DLL file but not this.

Then it is not an XLN VST plug-in but some other support file. ALL XLN VST plug-ins are dlls
2018/01/03 10:46:53
JohnEgan
Good Day,

Ive been checking out Reaper, while Im not sure your problem, I can say my Addictive Keys is working normally as is Addictive Drums 2, without doing anything but installing Reaper, as are all my other VSTi, and VST`s. Also they probably have a video tutorial to help you out. Otherwise Im finding Reaper, price aside, the easiest for me to adapt to, mainly at this point because I can easily configure most GUI layouts and all keystrokes to those Im familiar with, I haven't gone too in-depth as of yet. 2 month trial time also, but at $60, Ill likely get it as 1st standby, and although Im not sure how, it can apparently somehow also work within other DAW`s  like a plugin.
Hope you can solve your issue.

Cheers.
2018/01/03 13:58:15
TheMaartian
JohnEgan
although Im not sure how, it can apparently somehow also work within other DAW`s  like a plugin.

The method is called "ReWire". It's been implemented by quite a few apps. Here's one example.

2018/01/03 16:11:53
JohnEgan
TheMaartian
The method is called "ReWire". It's been implemented by quite a few apps. Here's one example.

K thanks, understand rewire function more or less, but I guess I misunderstood something about Reaper itself, in any case if Addictive Keys is activated at XLN it works fine in Reaper, maybe need to scan VST's.
2018/01/03 18:06:51
JohnKenn
Ray,
Check also the vst ini file in Reaper. This is extremely important to become familiar with, what it means and how to work it. I had an old XP box that ran Addictive in Reaper with no problem, and remember the program as having it's dll file.

Sometimes in Reaper, there will be a glitch due to a time lag between scanning a new vst in an unauthorized state needing online activation. Time between initial scan and the activation step next can cause the program not to show up.

Reaper tries to protect itself by seeing a vst that doesn't work by blacklisting it. Doesn't happen often, but can occur.

You can do a "clear cache and rescan" to fix the problem, but rewriting the ini file is way quicker and just identifies and restarts the scan on the problem plug. Here's how it works. I keep a shortcut to these files on the desktop.

Should be in the user's app data, Roaming, Reaper folder.

You are looking for the reaper-vstplugins. ini  or the reaper-plugins64.ini file

Double click on either one to open in notepad or your text editor.

Note that all the vst's and vsti's are there with their data line...name of the dll followed by a bunch of numbers. Important...followed by a comma and then the name of the plug. These lines are added in sequence, so that if one plug fails as the last one you installed, it will be the last line in the file. If earlier, search for the plug earlier in the list.

IF the plug has the vst/numbers/comma/name structure, it is good with Reaper. You can also see the name of the plug which can help with weird names that you can't find. Here you can also change the name of the plug to anything you want.

IF you get the dll name and numbers only, it means that Reaper has blacklisted the plug and it will never work right.

Solution is to delete the line, save the file and reopen Reaper. It will automatically rescan the plugs and give the failed plug another chance to get authorized. 

This could be the problem with Addictive. If so the above method will fix it.

John

(edit)  Should mention the obvious. The vst path has to be set in Reaper preferences to where the dll is. Also, a good method for a new plug with a standalone operation is to open and authorize the standalone first. In nearly all cases, the vst is then authorized in Reaper

(edit again) Saw you mentioned the Addictive Keys. Is this a Sonar only version? If so, not much that can be done to open in any other DAW (worst case scenario).
2018/01/03 20:27:07
TheMaartian
Good info, John.

I believe that the Addictive Keys that came with SONAR was always open (registered through XLN). I already owned a license when I bought SPlat, so not 100% certain.

In any case, AD2 and AK authorization includes the OS ID generated when Windows is installed or gets a major update (like 1611, 1703 and 1709). Both need to be reauthorized via their Windows app. And that process could be better. 2 PCs permitted. I haven't yet found a way to edit an existing one, so you need to do the not-so-obvious step of deleting the second authorized PC (don't need to do this the first reauthorization after install, just succeeding ones) and creating a new one (a new name). Goofy. And they haven't released a new keyboard in years. Seems like abandonware while they work on other products.
XLN Addictive Keys says on their web site that the Windows install is a VSTi.

All you need to do to get REAPER to see it, is first figure out where you installed the VST plugin. If you don't know, install it again, and it will likely give you chance to put it in any folder you want. Lots of installers automatically will set

"C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins" or "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2" or "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3"

as the default location. Once you determine where the VST got placed, then all you need to do is to make sure that you have that path set in REAPER under "Options|Preferences|VST|VST Plugin Paths". If the path to where XLN Addictive Keys isn't listed, click the add button and navigate out to where it is. Once you have the correct path set, click the Re-Scan button and it should find the new plugin.
2018/01/04 18:32:59
rspagnuolo
Thanks for the info.
I had a hard time finding the roaming folder and when I finally did find it, their were three lines that, did not have the complete info. Two of the lines gave no hint as to their identity. (The other had the word Vinyl in the name.)

I deleted them and restarted Reaper a few times and rescanned a few times but the Addictve Keys still isn't showing up.
Also, a Tal-noisemaker free plug-in, which I've seen installed in the Reaper video, "First Midi Song in Reaper" part 1) (by Kenny Gioia) isn't showing up either.
Is there something else I can do?

In spite of these initial difficulties, I think I will stick with Reaper, because I'm sure this is all operator error due to this confused operator!!! LOL!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account