• Software
  • Reaper/ XLN VST location question - SOLVED!!! (p.2)
2018/01/04 19:02:23
JohnKenn
Ray,

All the TAL plugs have worked for me in Reaper. My thought is that it either caused a blacklist or the dll is in a location Reaper doesn't point to.
You can open the ini file and word search for TAL, which should bring up any of the TAL plugins and show their status of good or bad. You can also go thru the entire file and delete every line without the comma and name after the numbers. Save the file and restart. This more housekeeping than anything because then all of the blacklisted plugs will be moved to the bottom of the file if they are still on your computer. Some may get a second life with a restart.
You can also move the TAL dll to a specific spot and tell Reaper to scan that location. The result for good or bad will show up as last line in the file if it is not already registered somewhere in the ini file. This function is something I always missed in Sonar.

What Sonar had that I miss in Reaper is the simple ability to view the location of any plugin.
I'll check noisemaker and the keys to see what is happening and report back.

John
2018/01/04 20:49:26
JohnKenn
Hey Ray,

Installed TAL Noisemaker 64 bit in Reaper 64 bit 5.x.
It works fine.
This is the added last new line in the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file

TAL_NoiseMaker_64.dll=002229666BAAD201,1852011892,TAL NoiseMaker Plugin (TAL-Togu Audio Line)!!!VSTi

A failed plugin will have the name of the dll = and a series of numbers only. Means Reaper has recognized but blacklisted. Following is an example of a blacklisted plug

HoRNetDeeLayPlus.vst3=E930CA188A13D301.

The TAL line with a name after shows it is good to go. Note that the name on the end can be changed to anything you want and that's how it will show up. Only don't alter the !!!VSTI end that comes up in some plugs. It will scramble the name.

I'm thinking that TAL is somewhere hidden from Reaper. Set any paths in Reaper's Preferences> VST> Add.
Rescan and TAL should be available.

Will look at the Addictive keys.

John
2018/01/04 22:37:25
JohnKenn
Getting back with the Addictive Keys vsti.

Installed and working solid in Reaper. Fast load.
reaper-vstplugins64.ini new last line is:

Addictive_Keys.dll=91BB7B92AA85D301,2019639627,Addictive Keys (XLN Audio)!!!VSTi

Problem has got to be with registering Reaper's vst folders. Addictive dll 64 bit vsti installs to C:\ProgramFiles\Steinberg\VstPlugins. Make sure this path is selected in the Reaper preferences and you should be up and running. Would imagine that if the 32 bit version, it will be in the Program Files (86) location.

John

(edited because I screwed up the correct path to the keys dll...sorry...) Also to add that renaming vst's can be easily done from within the program. Alters the ini files as if you had manually edited, so you never have to deal with the file. I prefer the ini file because of the useful information it reveals and the control it allows. For years have also compared the Sonar vs Reaper style of handling and organizing the vst tree presentation. Reaper was always many steps ahead, and guess for now, always will be.
2018/01/05 18:53:19
rspagnuolo
Hi Jon,

Great info. I'll go to work and see what I get.

Thank you,
Ray

2018/01/05 19:25:43
rspagnuolo
Hi JohnKen!
Still no good. Maybe because this is the free demo version? It could be that XLN hasn't kept things up to date?

Any way, this is what I did:
I told the XLN Installer to install in the Steinberg VSt location.
Here is the path that resulted: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\XLN Audio\Addictive Keys\Sound Data\AKIP0001DEMO.

The actual file in the AKIP0001DEMO folder is called StGrand_Sound_Free.
The properties via right-click are: Type of File: "XLN Audio resource file (.xpak)"
Opens with: "Unknown Application"

I'm trying the TAl synth next.

Ray
2018/01/05 19:57:20
rspagnuolo
Hi,
The Tal synth successfully installed.
Unless some new info turns up, I'm giving up on AK the free demo.

Do you know anything about RAR files?
There is a PIANO ONE plug that the Midi video (Reaper; by Kenny Gioia) suggested.
I had a problem with that one, because it is a RAR file and the instructions on installation were vague.
I think I saw that WinZip can open it. I'm going to see if I can try that.

Ray
2018/01/05 20:14:24
JohnKenn
Ray,
The Addictive keys I installed was also the demo. Search and check for the actual location of the Addictive keys.dll. You might have overshot the location by going too deep in the path into the data files. Reaper will scan sub folders for the dll, so you should be able to aim Reaper back down to Steinberg/Vst Plugins and pick up the dll downstream.

As I remember from Ken's rar files, you don't have to actually install them. Unpack the rar files and look into the data folder. His "Reaper Explained" series has an installation for G Player to view the files. The tutorials are just mp4 and can be played without G Player. These are for sure some excellent videos.

John

saw you were talking about the piano, not the tutorials. Winzip should open the file, just not able write to it. Winrar is the guardian of creating or altering Rar files. Shareware demo at:

https://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0
2018/01/06 03:34:51
rspagnuolo
Hi again, JohnKen (Hey, that rhymes!),
 I just opened Sonar and the Addictive Keys was available. You mentioned that Sonar shows the location of the plug-in. I'll search for that., but if you can post it here in case I can't find it, I'd be thankful

Also,  I just wanted, for Piano One) to open the RAR file, because then I expect to find the dll file and then I would copy that to the Steinberg VST plugin file so that Reaper will see it.

If I can get Addictive Keys to work, I won't need Piano One.
Ray
2018/01/06 13:25:14
subtlearts
rspagnuolo
due to this confused operator!!! LOL!

Confused Operator sounds like a Weird Al parody song:

'Cause you're a Confused Operator... Confused... Operator...

Now that I think of it, Smooth Operator has always confused me, especially the part where she says "Coast to coast, LA to Chicago" - last time I checked Chicago was not on any coast. Yes, it's on a big lake, but that's not quite the same thing. 

More to the point... Addictive Keys demo is working perfectly here in Reaper (and the piano sounds pretty good!). Mine is installed in Program Files -> VSTPlugins, but that's because I'm pretty obsessive about paths when I'm installing plugins and that's my default for 64-bit VST2, so with the exception of the things Cakewalk puts in its own folder that's pretty much where everything ends up.

If you can locate your Addictive Keys.dll and make sure that its path is listed in Reaper's VST Preferences, and it's not blacklisted as per above, then there is no reason it should not show up. Those are really the only factors. 
2018/01/06 21:52:19
rspagnuolo
Solved!

I decided that I should re-install the installer, as suggested in another thread I came across while trying to solve this issue. I thought that maybe this installer would behave differently since it wasn't associated with Cakewalk? (I obviously don't know what I am saying, right! LOL!)
I then chose The Addictive Keys, went to advanced tab and changed the install location to default. (C:\ProgramData\XLN Audio\Addictive Keys\Sound Data).
I then copied that location to Reapers VST plug-in settings and - Bingo! - It is there in all it's piano-demo-forever glory!

Many, many, many heartfelt thanks to JohnKenn, et.al. for all the info. I am certainly pasting a lot of it to my SONAR/ REAPER/ DAW (and now dll) Pearls folder!!!

Ray
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account