• Software
  • Now you might take your Sonar PC offline
2018/01/04 06:14:48
BJN
Here is an article circulating today of a security issue with Intel CPUs requiring a software fix that will give up to 40% power loss. https://www.dangerous.com...-huge-performance-hit/
2018/01/04 07:29:50
35mm
I think it's all hysteria at the moment and once patched you will probably not notice any difference in reality when using a DAW. I have an AMD chip so naturally, I am jumping up and down, punching the air and cheering loudly.

There are all sorts of hysterical rumors flying about and I suspect as is usually the case, everyone will have forgotten all about it in a couple of months once the world has not ground to a halt. It may be an issue on web servers and cloud-based hosting and stuff though.
2018/01/04 10:38:11
mkerl
Intel talks of  aprox. 2% power loss only.
2018/01/04 15:05:36
tlw
35mm
I think it's all hysteria at the moment and once patched you will probably not notice any difference in reality when using a DAW. I have an AMD chip so naturally, I am jumping up and down, punching the air and cheering loudly

AMD are affected.
https://www.theregister.c...arm_cpu_vulnerability/
2018/01/04 19:24:36
Sycraft
Everyone needs to chill out with the performance worries on this patch. We'll see once there's been more time for benchmarking, but initially it looks like performance impact will be small for must user workloads, since they largely stay in userspace and don't switch to kernel much, and probably less impact in Windows than Linux due to the differences in architecture. The people who have big issues are where they are doing virtualization, like cloud providers.

So unless you are running your system extremely close to maxing out, don't panic, just see how things go, you can always turn it off if you really need (there are powershell commands to control it now).

Also please note this is NOT a Windows thing, all OSes are affected so don't think you don't need to patch OS-X or Linux. Alsoalso for the moment, AMD is affected in that the KPTI patches are applying to ALL processors for now, not just Intel. More research needs to be done before they decide to start applying it more selectively.
2018/01/08 22:05:07
BJN
yeah seems the performance hit is for cloud based operations and no biggy for us DAW users. 
2018/01/08 23:31:29
batsbrew
i've never had my PC online........
since 2008.
zero issues.
how cool is that?!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account