• Software
  • Why are hardware dongles so bad?
2017/12/26 14:32:53
bdickens
Why are hardware dongles (ilok, etc.) so bad?

I keep seeing people complain about them and / or swear they will never use any software that requires them.

A long time ago, I bought Halion3. It requires the Steinberg key for authorization. I have never updated this software or its license. Since that time, I have been through two reinstalls of Windows on that computer, a second computer and a reinstall of Windows on that, and finally a third computer that has never been online.

Through all of this, all I had to do was dig out my disk, reinstall Halion3 and plug my key in and I was back in business. Everything else took days recovering passwords, shooting emails back and forth and all kinds of associated rigamarole.
2017/12/26 14:53:07
cclarry
I have no qualms with Elicensers, and I have both a Steinberg, and an
iLok 2.  Sometimes they were flaky with past OS's, but they've been rock
solid for several years now, and I agree, it sure makes it easier to get
back up and running
2017/12/26 14:55:42
fireberd
One reason, for me, it ties up a useable USB port.

I see quite a few posts on recording forums of problems with iLok, probably the most widely used for audio software.  I had a key go bad, while under extended warranty from Sweetwater.  I had to deal with iLok for a replacement and then deal with Sweetwater to get a refund for what I paid iLok for the new key and to move my registered items to the new key.  What I had on iLok was unusable for nearly a month.

I don't have a lot on iLok but I've moved everything I could except POD Farm 2 off of iLok.  What I have left is either never used anymore or rarely used except for the POD Farm 2.  If Line 6 would change POD Farm so it could be authorized like some of their other products I wouldn't have the need for iLok and thus free up a USB port (that I have use for).
2017/12/26 15:00:45
jerrypettit
I have spent hours and many emails with iLok's laughable support system lately trying to get their licensing software for iLok installed on my new computer--to no avail.

I have decided to remove the iLok, and will never buy a product requiring it again.  I'm out a thousand bucks or so on software I bought years back but...principles.  :-)
2017/12/26 15:01:59
Bonjo
I bought a configured music PC where I made sure I had plenty of usb ports, 6 rear, 4 front, I've had Ilok3 and the Steinberg thingy plugged in for however long at the rear and have never had any probs with those items or the software they, erm, protect. Can't see the fuss personally.
2017/12/26 15:24:55
Voda La Void
Why are they so bad?  Well, for one thing...it's kind of like that guy at the stop light that does that slow crawl routine, several car lengths behind the next car so that his car never fully stops.  If everyone did that the average stop light would have 3 blocks of cars stacked up, all doing this slow crawl thing...it's fine, when he's the only one.

If every software program on my PC required a dongle, I wouldn't have any USB ports for anything else.  Dongles are fine, I guess...as long as none of your other programs do it, too.  Oh, they think they're really clever with the dongles, yet your computer would be laughably unusable if every software company did that. 

Plus, it's just another thing to fail.  Sounds like yours has been fine.  I've read others having issues with their dongles, completely ruining plans for recording sessions and weekends of productivity, over a freakin dongle.  When you negatively impact your paying customers with theft prevention devices, kind of rubs people the wrong way. 

2017/12/26 15:44:54
djwayne
I have an iLok for my IvoryII and East West sound sample programs. It set up fairly easily and hasn't caused me any problems. Years ago the myth was every program would have it's own dongle and your computer would be lit up like a Christmas tree.
2017/12/26 15:52:47
Hugh Mann
From a practical standpoint, I only use laptops.  I have a 17 in 'home' laptop and a 13 in live/gigs laptop.  The gigs laptop has 2 usb ports. One for my keyboard controller,  and one for the sound card.  If I wanted to use a dongle, I would have to get some sort of hub.  And on top of making sure I have all my cables and such,  I'd need to be concerned with keeping track of a dongle.  Seems like a lot of hoops and bs to jump through for something that is of no use to me.  There is an annoyance factor for me.  Also, I paid for all my software,  so why should I need to jump though ridiculous hoops because some other a hole didn't?  Thankfully,  everything I use can be authorized to the computer itself.  No need for dongles. Except for Waves.   
2017/12/26 16:12:00
JonD
Bottom line, dongles are a calculated risk for users that work great for some and cause grief for others.

I've had both iLok and e-licenser for years with no problems... But I've been on the various audio forums long enough to know that when a dongle fails, it can be a nightmare for the user.

It's one thing if a VST stops working because its dongle failed -- You can just work around that.  But what if your Cubase dongle fails?  Then you're dead in the water, until you get it resolved. 

To be fair, Steinberg offers a type of insurance to minimize downtime, so if using Cubase is important to you, then you should also invest in their safety net.  If not, any failure is on you (For choosing an e-licensered DAW).
2017/12/26 16:25:07
cclarry
JonD
Bottom line, dongles are a calculated risk for users that work great for some and cause grief for others.

I've had both iLok and e-licenser for years with no problems... But I've been on the various audio forums long enough to know that when a dongle fails, it can be a nightmare for the user.

It's one thing if a VST stops working because its dongle failed -- You can just work around that.  But what if your Cubase dongle fails?  Then you're dead in the water, until you get it resolved. 

To be fair, Steinberg offers a type of insurance to minimize downtime, so if using Cubase is important to you, then you should also invest in their safety net.  If not, any failure is on you (For choosing an e-licensered DAW).

iLok has the same thing called "Zero Down Time", in case your iLok goes bad.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account