• Software
  • Why are hardware dongles so bad? (p.8)
2018/01/05 15:59:13
JohanSebatianGremlin
JohnKenn
I realize that almost everyone has positive experience with dongles. Good relations with online activations.

Envy you guys. Don't know if it my registry cleaner or what. Have had a couple good and painless activations. 

Total side note here: I know lots of people love them, but I've never been a fan of any kind of registry utility. Actually I take that back, there was a time when I was a huge fan of them. That was when I made a living from doing computer break/fix. When I was getting paid to clean up the messes those registry utilities are capable of creating I absolutely loved them, or at least I loved that other people loved them. 

Yeah I know there are tons of people who have used them for years and never had an issue yada yada yada. All I know is there was a time when so long as there were people using those registry utilities (and recommending them to all their friends) or households with young kids and/or old people (both groups will happily click ANYTHING a pop-up tells them to click), I was always going to be well-fed and have a shiny new car sitting in my driveway.

Some folks proudly say they'll never use software that requires a dongle. I will never use any kind registry utility. If there's something in my registry that needs to come out, I go in and manually remove it. If its too the point where the registry needs to be 'cleaned' then I wipe the drive and do a clean install. Effectively cleans the registry in a very bullet proof way and also cleans the drive itself i.e. removing the errant dll's themselves and whatnot.
2018/01/05 21:06:32
JohnKenn
Johan,
Thanks for the reminder on the registry cleaners. Had used the Rose City software for many years. Never had any observable troubles, but maybe why I get authorizations dumped on occasion.

I guess they are not needed these days. Just OCD about cleaning, not necessarily a good thing. Have found over time that about the worst offender of leaving a garbage trail is Kontakt. I can uninstall Kontakt and there are over 2500 orphaned reg entries left behind.

John
2018/01/05 21:52:50
JohanSebatianGremlin
Ah I dunno. I've got good friends whose opinions I generally trust that swear by them. I'm just not a fan of anything that makes changes to the registry based on a script or some sort of algorithm.

And as I sort of mentioned, I've sat down behind a metric ton of machines that were failing in all sorts of odd-ball ways and I'd point to an icon on the desktop for some whiz-bang wunder cure registry fixer and ask the client where it came from. The response was usually 'oh my friend told me to use that so I put it on and ran it a few weeks ago.' 'Ok and when did you start having all this trouble with software loading or working correctly?' 'I guess it started about two weeks ago.' 'Hmmm.....'
2018/01/05 22:40:24
JohnKenn
Good thing about the Rose City reg cleaner is that it scans everything, tries to rank a 3 tier safety level and displays the entries. As you said, problem is and always will be there when the operation is turned over to a generic algorithm. The user chooses which to delete, and as a result shoots himself in the foot when the OS is toast due to wiping out some vital entry. Really haven't noticed any benefit either, so have to break this evil habit.

Also appreciate some of Graham's (anydmusic) perspectives.

John
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account