• Software
  • Installing/ Extracting a RAR file?
2018/01/05 23:55:19
rspagnuolo
Hello all!
I'm running Windows 8.1 with Sonar Plat. Now I'm demoing Reaper.
I've downloaded PianoOne (Sound Magic) but encountering a RAR file with sketchy info on how to proceed. I downloaded WinZip to unpack it but received and error msg.
Anyone have any idea what my next move should be?

Thanks in advance,
Ray
2018/01/06 00:04:31
paulo
Winrar?
2018/01/06 00:11:23
Cactus Music
WinRar I use without issue on W 7 it is a great little app. 
I think it won't install properly to W 10 , I tried it. 

I've had issues with W10 and zipped folders. 
It sends you to the app store and I tried a few of the offerings and ALL of them suck. 
I find it real strange that W10 won't open a zip file without a 3rd party app. 

I will be interested to see if someone else ere has found a good solution to this.

2018/01/06 00:16:24
WinRar works and instralls fine in Windows 10, I have been using it with Windows 10 since release.

A free alternative would be 7zip, which will unpack RAR files.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Windows 10 also has no issues opening .zip files all on its own. You must have system issues, (or perhaps it's a 3rd party plugin, or pilot error)
2018/01/06 00:45:23
JohnKenn
Hey Ray,
(Geez, sounds like the Van Halen tune...)
Still almost sober enough to see your post.
Unless the rar file is way big, Winzip will open it. Can always download Winrar. The program can deal with problematic rar files that escape Winzip.
Problem may be a corrupted download however, most likely the cause if you are having trouble opening it.
Redownload the file. Hit it with Winzip or Winrar again.
Note that Kenny's file is using Piano One as a placeholder to illustrate a function. No link from the tutorial to the hands on trial, so any generic piano or vsti will do fine for the sake of learning, example and following along..

John
2018/01/06 01:10:13
JonD
Matron Landslide

Been using this freebie for years, for both rar and zip files.  And I honestly can't remember ever having any type of problem... It just works.

Unless winrar or winzip offer batch utility options (and you need that functionality), I can't think of a single reason to recommend either over 7-zip.  And it's FREE!
2018/01/06 01:36:38
Genghis
+1on 7zip. Why pay for something when that works so well for everything?
2018/01/06 01:46:33
abacab
Matron Landslide
WinRar works and instralls fine in Windows 10, I have been using it with Windows 10 since release.

Windows 10 also has no issues opening .zip files all on its own. You must have system issues, (or perhaps it's a 3rd party plugin, or pilot error)

I will second the recommendation for 7-zip.  It just works well.  It is free.  If you need to create zipped archives, you can do so easily.  I prefer using the 7z format for my own, plus you can password encrypt them.

7-zip will unpack zip and rar files, and just about everything else.  But as was mentioned, Windows has a built-in unzip for zip formatted files.  For rar you will need to use 3rd party tools.
2018/01/06 18:12:13
mudgel
Sometimes just changing the file extension.rar to .zip will work.
Make a copy of the file and work on that.
Just ignore any error messages when changing the extension.
2018/01/06 18:59:31
msmcleod
I use 7zip and would recommend it.

One word of caution, occasionally you get an error when extracting certain RAR files that span over one file (Shreddage II springs to mind).

I think 7zip expects a particular naming convention, and gets confused if it's different. In this case, despite the error message, it did actually extract the files without issue, but worth double-checking any files are ok if you do get errors as you may be ok ignoring the errors.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account