• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.15)
azslow3
I agree that this thread has too many "I don't..." statements and that is destructing from the real power side of Reaper.

I DO use more than one VSTi instrument on a single track and DO hear them all in REAPER.
I DO use the Parameter Modulation that REAPER has which can do things like ride the wet control of a reverb or delay.
I DO use REAPER's unequaled routing capabilities to do things that are impossible on other DAWs.
I DO use the Variable Speed control to hit occasional high vocal notes when my voice is cracking or blown out.
I DO use burn to CD render option to make CDs for testing my mixes in the car.
I DO use the portable install option on USB drives and to have both 64 and 32 bit REAPER on my hard drive.
I DO use REAPER's ability to scale the UI for a less than 100% size UI on my netbook.
I DO use the easy copy and paste of envelopes to duplicate them on other tracks.
I DO use REAPER's HTML interface to run it from across the room using my smartphone.
I DO use REAPER's Drag and Drop functionality for patching things like side chaining up.
I DO use the native pitch stretching in REAPER to lengthen or shorten clips without altering pitch.
I DO use clip based envelopes for pitch and volume to correct minor pitch or volume problems.
I DO use clip based FX to put an effect only on one single clip of a track with many clips.
I DO use the notation in REAPER just to hear my wife play my compositions on piano

I DON'T use Sonar any longer, but still have it installed on my machine so I can still get to my oldest projects.

There, I only used one instance of "I DON'T" this time!   <ggg>

2017/12/05 16:59:25
scook
jjj.fcc
Well, I've also considered Reaper as the first "next DAW" attempt, after the sad Gibson announcement.

I have Studio One 2 Artist already installed in my machine due to some old offer, but the lack of VST support is too non-sense for me, so I didn't even try much harder on it.
Another interesting thing about Reaper is the DirectX support
And there is the price....

While I have no interest in immediately switching to it, these are a few factors for me. I do not mind the default interface but do appreciate the flexibility built into the UI. There are a some setup things I need to sort out such as the manual ASIO offset and possibly the MIDI offset. SONAR provided a single ASIO offset, Reaper has one for input and one for output. For now, I am assuming the input offset is similar to the offset in SONAR. Need to play with it some to know for sure.

I do miss the FX Rack in the Track View Track Headers (TCP in Reaper, I wish they had selected a different TLA because TCP will always read as Transmission Control Protocol to me).
2017/12/05 17:49:54
jbraner
I have the full version of Kontakt, but not Omnisphere or Trilian, and I always use the quick render, but I suppose if you are running plugs that do disk streaming like the old GigaStudio used to, then you might need to try one of the other methods of rendering

Well, it doesn't hurt to run through the entire song once (or twice) before you render, so that the streaming apps can cache a little bit. This would probably apply to any DAW...
jbraner
I have the full version of Kontakt, but not Omnisphere or Trilian, and I always use the quick render, but I suppose if you are running plugs that do disk streaming like the old GigaStudio used to, then you might need to try one of the other methods of rendering

Well, it doesn't hurt to run through the entire song once (or twice) before you render, so that the streaming apps can cache a little bit. This would probably apply to any DAW...

With Superior Drummer I have it set to load every sample in a kit right off the bat, and no "on demand" loading.  I guess some of the other instruments you mentioned don't have an option to load everything right from the start?
2017/12/05 19:58:50
azslow3
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
azslow3
I agree that this thread has too many "I don't..." statements and that is destructing from the real power side of Reaper.

I DO use...

You have understood me right, Schwa has also understood me right (in the ARA thread)...
I hope I can positively influence Reaper community

I DO use REAPER's HTML interface to run it from across the room using my smartphone.

When I have started to implement that for Sonar, there was no interest for such feature (at least no feedback it exists). Also I have found that no matter what I try to do in the browser, it has slower reaction than dedicated applications (TouchOSC, TouchDAW). So I have stopped (but Sonar web transport control still exists).

2017/12/05 21:31:14
jbraner
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
jbraner

With Superior Drummer I have it set to load every sample in a kit right off the bat, and no "on demand" loading.  I guess some of the other instruments you mentioned don't have an option to load everything right from the start?

That's right - Superior doesn't stream, it loads everything in to memory.

Kontakt, Trilian, Omnisphere etc stream from disk. They load a little bit of the samples in RAM and stream the rest ;-)
2017/12/05 22:59:45
DeeringAmps
I always freeze all VSTi (generally EZD or Superior, Trillian, piano du jour) prior to bouncing a final mix or master.
Of course this is in SONAR, I guess in REAPER I would be "rendering" a final mix or master.

T
2017/12/06 08:42:12
Frank Harvey
OK,
For the past several days......Within my REAPER DEMO....I have been trying all the Dx,DXi,VST,VSTi,VST3,VST3i,
(NB: haven't delved into JS script format yet.)
JS Looks intriguing though :)
QUESTION:
Directed to those of far greater Reaper experience than I..(eg: Glennbo).......& Thnx Gennbo for all of your insights.
Now...If I find that during my random , cursory, testing of REAPER that many ( NB: probably most at this stage) of the plugins I used in SPLAT seem to work fine in Reaper ...( NB:  I Discovered BT plug ins don't work in Reaper)..... am I on 'SAFE GROUND' for those particular plug ins   OR  is the fact that such plug ins as Rapture Session working fine in Reaper are dependent on my Cakewalk Sonar program being still on my PC and being Valid .......be it Life Member or whatever .........linked to a server even :)
I hope I made that reasonably clear :).
I would greatly appreciate some experienced insight in this regard.
Cheers................Frank in OZ.

2017/12/06 11:10:38
azslow3
I will not bet $10000 on that, but there are 2 types of plug-ins in Sonar:
a) which are DAW independent. They will work in any DAW, not looking around for Sonar
b) which run inside Sonar only. They detect the DAW on startup and refuse to function when the DAW is not Sonar.

I mean from my knowledge there is not a single plug-in which check the presence of Sonar to work in other DAWs and for sure not Sonar validity (checking validity require some "insider" knowledge how to do this).

But you need some way to install these plug-ins without Sonar. That depends in which Sonar version the plug-in was distributed and how.

Do not forget to apply for Overloud and AAS licenses. That effectively drastically reduce the number of plug-ins you can not use in other DAWs (and that is free).
2017/12/06 11:15:13
jbraner
DeeringAmps
I always freeze all VSTi (generally EZD or Superior, Trillian, piano du jour) prior to bouncing a final mix or master.
Of course this is in SONAR, I guess in REAPER I would be "rendering" a final mix or master.

T

I do exactly the same. So, in SONAR, the freezing part is just like bouncing - and we want to be sure we get a good "freeze" for each track, and then a bood "bounce" at the end.

I would guess that we'll just do the same in Reaper - so we'll just need to check that all our freezes and bounces sound good ;-)
If they don't, we'll have to dork around with the "options" until it does come out good.
At least we've got some info here about what the options mean ;-)

I've already seen a few "CONAR" people on the Reaper forums - so I think we'll be in good comapny
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account