• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.16)
jbraner
DeeringAmps
I always freeze all VSTi (generally EZD or Superior, Trillian, piano du jour) prior to bouncing a final mix or master.
Of course this is in SONAR, I guess in REAPER I would be "rendering" a final mix or master.

T

I do exactly the same. So, in SONAR, the freezing part is just like bouncing - and we want to be sure we get a good "freeze" for each track, and then a bood "bounce" at the end.

I would guess that we'll just do the same in Reaper - so we'll just need to check that all our freezes and bounces sound good ;-)
If they don't, we'll have to dork around with the "options" until it does come out good.
At least we've got some info here about what the options mean ;-)

I've already seen a few "CONAR" people on the Reaper forums - so I think we'll be in good comapny

I would suggest that before doing everything you are used to doing in Sonar to first NOT do all the extra steps that you are used to doing when trying REAPER out.

If you have all your normal softsynths, try NOT freezing anything to audio tracks, and try NOT using the slower method of doing the final render to stereo wave or MP3.

Then only if your instrument sounds are being truncated, or have artifacts, would I suggest to start walking it down, first by still NOT freezing any tracks to audio, but just trying a realtime render to your stereo master wave or MP3.

Then, and only then would I say that if you still are experiencing audio issues with your softsynths, would I try freezing the individual tracks, and then rendering to the final stereo master wave or MP3.

Lastly, as far as any plugins go as Frank was asking, pretty much all your plugins EXCEPT the ones that are tethered to Sonar should work in REAPER. Also, they should work even if Sonar were to be uninstalled, BUT you would have to do a selective uninstall and I would advise against it anyway, because you will still want Sonar to be on your machine so you can play or work on any projects that were done in Sonar.

The last time I rebuilt my DAW, after installing Windows 7 64-bit, I installed REAPER, then went through several of my Sonar install disks (I have a giant pile of them too), and did selective installs on each, only installing the plugins I wanted to keep, like the Timeworks EQ, CompressorX, Sonitus, Etc., then on my newest and last copy of Sonar that I bought, I did a full install, so I'd have a working version of the most recent version of Sonar I have, and any of the plugins I picked up with Sonar along the way.

Since I went with 64-bit Windows 7, none of the DirectX plugins work or even show up in 64-bit REAPER, but since I did a "Portable Install" of REAPER 32-bit on my same machine, I can still access those plugins when running REAPER as a 32-bit application. Truth be told, I thought I would need access to all my older plugins, especially ones like the Timeworks plugs which are very high quality, but I've replaced them with newer 64-bit plugs and almost never fire up the 32-bit version *except* for compatibility when loading old projects that used those plugins.

HTH
2017/12/06 17:39:12
jbraner
Hi G'bo,

If you have all your normal softsynths, try NOT freezing anything to audio tracks, and try NOT using the slower method of doing the final render to stereo wave or MP3.

All good advice - except, I'll be freezing all my synths and drum parts anyway.
To me it's insurance against reloading an old project in a couple of years, and the synth has changed, or doesn't work anymore etc.
Plus - with things like arpeggiators (set to random) or various other things that trigger a little differently each time - when you freeze the part, you know exactly what you're getting.
Also - I always freeze all my guitar parts, which "commits" them to an amp or speaker settings.
Sure, I could unfeeze later (if SONAR still works) but re-amping always sounds different anyway, an dit's probably better to just play the parts again ;-)

I don't mind keeping eq and compressors and saturators "live" - because, chances are if I open this up later - I might have a "better" version, or different compressor to try etc etc etc

That's just me though, and I realise that everyone's different.
azslow3
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
I DO use REAPER's HTML interface to run it from across the room using my smartphone.

When I have started to implement that for Sonar, there was no interest for such feature (at least no feedback it exists). Also I have found that no matter what I try to do in the browser, it has slower reaction than dedicated applications (TouchOSC, TouchDAW). So I have stopped (but Sonar web transport control still exists).

Here's what the built-in web interface for REAPER looks like.  I can run REAPER from my smartphone, while sitting at my drums, or when across the room recording vocals, and the response time when running it is very very good!  :-)

2017/12/06 18:02:13
JohnKenn
Glen,

Try maybe reinstalling the DX/DXI plugs and do a dx rescan in Reaper. I'm running 64 bit Reaper on 64 bit win 7 and all dxi synths (like TTS-1) are there and work well.
Some of the newer vst functions can't be accessed directly (Midi bus merge). Here's where you can use a wrapper like Buzz's dxi-shell that makes the more advanced features available if needed.

John
JohnKenn
Glen,

Try maybe reinstalling the DX/DXI plugs and do a dx rescan in Reaper. I'm running 64 bit Reaper on 64 bit win 7 and all dxi synths (like TTS-1) are there and work well.
Some of the newer vst functions can't be accessed directly (Midi bus merge). Here's where you can use a wrapper like Buzz's dxi-shell that makes the more advanced features available if needed.

John

All my DX/DXi plugins show up in 32 bit REAPER, but none of them do in 64-bit, but I think it's because all my DX/DXi plugs are so old that they are only 32-bit versions. My last copy of Sonar was Sonar 5, but the last DX/DXi plugins I installed when I rebuilt my DAW were the Timeworks plugins from Sonar 2 XL.   I've since replaced all the ones I thought I'd use with things like Waves DBX160 (which I like a LOT more) for CompressorX, Eventides Equivocate for Timeworks EQ, Lexicon MPX Native Reverb in place of Lexicon Pantheon reverb, and so on.

At this point the only 32-bit plugs from the old days that I still use are Native Instruments B4 Organ, and FM7, and they are 32-bit VSTi plugins.   :-)

2017/12/06 18:16:22
azslow3
Here's what the built-in web interface for REAPER looks like...

In my test the problem was the browser and I guess Reaper can not change that:
1) when clicking on any web page, I guess the browser waits a bit for "advanced" action (gestures). That introduce some annoying delay I do not like.
2) when I have tried to use it while playing some instrument, half of the time instead of just pressing the button, my phone was recognizing gestures.
I can not say I never hit something wrong (including "home" button) with (3 pages concatenated):

but not so often as  just with 3 transport buttons:
http://www.azslow.com/files/azweb/transport.html

I probably need a bigger phone
azslow3
Here's what the built-in web interface for REAPER looks like...

In my test the problem was the browser and I guess Reaper can not change that:
1) when clicking on any web page, I guess the browser waits a bit for "advanced" action (gestures). That introduce some annoying delay I do not like.
2) when I have tried to use it while playing some instrument, half of the time instead of just pressing the button, my phone was recognizing gestures.
I can not say I never hit something wrong (including "home" button) with (3 pages concatenated):

but not so often as  just with 3 transport buttons:
http://www.azslow.com/files/azweb/transport.html

I probably need a bigger phone

The last of my three screen captures is the one I actually use, and it's mostly for the transport buttons, plus the "Abort Recording" which I like because it not only stops recording, but also does an undo of what has been recorded, and rewinds to the last point so you are ready to take another stab at recording a good take.

While I think the response is very very good with the interface I showed above, it is not as fast as using the computer keyboard or mouse, but the delay is insignificant for punching into record, winding to markers, stopping, and other transport functions.

Really the only lag that is annoying to me is when grabbing a fader, and raising or lowering the volume for a track or master, but I almost never do that when using my phone as a remote controller. I'm sure that the reason there is more noticeable lag with faders is due to the much higher amount of data being transmitted over WiFi to your router and then received by REAPER.

2017/12/06 19:55:45
azslow3
The last of my three screen captures is the one I actually use, and it's mostly for the transport buttons, plus the "Abort Recording" which I like because it not only stops recording, but also does an undo of what has been recorded, and rewinds to the last point so you are ready to take another stab at recording a good take.

That was a bit tricky in Sonar (as many other things). "Undo" was taking time (recording length dependent) and asking to record again too fast was producing side effects. But we have managed to take that under control

Really the only lag that is annoying to me is when grabbing a fader, and raising or lowering the volume for a track or master, but I almost never do that when using my phone as a remote controller. I'm sure that the reason there is more noticeable lag with faders is due to the much higher amount of data being transmitted over WiFi to your router and then received by REAPER.

There can be several technical reasons for that, but for sure not the connection speed. In fact MIDI controllers simply "skip" intermediate fader position, MIDI is old and slow with 31.5 kBit/s. I have not heard that MCU is "lagging hard" when operating volumes. WiFi works with MBit rates. In worse conditions, the delay can be 50ms, but even that is hard to notice when moving faders. Usual latency is 1-5ms. It will be fun to test what ReaMote shows on WiFi (I know they do not recommend that, on the other hand that is a nice test for the implementation quality).
2017/12/06 20:49:57
jbraner
At this point the only 32-bit plugs from the old days that I still use are Native Instruments B4 Organ, and FM7, and they are 32-bit VSTi plugins.   :-)

Get yourself
VB3 https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=24
(pretty cheap - great Hammond and leslie)

and dexed https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/
(free DX7 - very good)

Then you'll be completely 64 bit!

jbraner

Get yourself
VB3 https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=24
(pretty cheap - great Hammond and leslie)

and dexed https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/
(free DX7 - very good)

Then you'll be completely 64 bit!

Thanks for the links John.

Now that I've recently purchased the full version of Kontakt, I'll probably be using some of the Hammonds it comes with for general rock organ sound, but the Leslie that comes with the B4 I've used on guitar, and that I may still do, because it's a real good model of what a guitar through a real Leslie sounds like.

As for the old FM7, I used to own a real DX7 and since I had written my own assembly code librarian to offload data from all my hardware synths, still had tons of SysEx dumps (I hear that Studio One doesn't do SysEx)

http://answers.presonus.c...-send-sysex-dumps-song

that I can send to FM7 and it sounds just like my old hardware DX7.  I don't really use that one much any longer though, but it is cool being able to load all my old SysEx data dumps. Glad I didn't throw all of them away when I got rid of all my hardware midi keyboards.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account