• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.17)
2017/12/06 21:51:37
jbraner
2 things

- for just the leslie, also check out the Melda one (vintage rotary). If you wait for the 50% sales, that's a really good one for guitar.

- dexed works with sysex too.
Also (I need to look up the link) but there is a guy who compiled literally thousands of DX7 patches and organised them in to banks. If you want to play with hDX7 stuff, dexed is really good - and FREE (and 64 bit)
2017/12/06 21:59:16
DeeringAmps
BobV,
I think its time to change the title of this thread.
Reaper is an awesome DAW; PERIOD!
It has nothing to do with the fact that it only costs $60.
This thing is well worth the $255 charged for the commercial license; at $60 its a steal.
Just my nickel98, YMMV; but I doubt it!
I won't cut and run anytime soon, but I'm confident that Reaper will do everything I'll ever need it to.
Thanks to all for the "heads-up"!
T
2017/12/06 22:22:19
azslow3
DeeringAmps
This thing is well worth the $255 charged for the commercial license; at $60 its a steal.

It does not COSTS $60, it is on "permanent sale", for not commercial (or small scale commercial) use for $60. It has some plug-ins, but in general it is just a DAW itself.

People as amused by $150 pack with the DAW, with plug-ins, with Synth and 2 extra program. So effectively Sampitude is also cost like $60 at the moment!

But marketing people know: write "save $1200" on top of it and everyone will say "that is a steal price for a huge professional thing", while write "$60 all the time" and everyone say "that is a cheap toy for kids".
jbraner
2 things

- for just the leslie, also check out the Melda one (vintage rotary). If you wait for the 50% sales, that's a really good one for guitar.

- dexed works with sysex too.
Also (I need to look up the link) but there is a guy who compiled literally thousands of DX7 patches and organised them in to banks. If you want to play with hDX7 stuff, dexed is really good - and FREE (and 64 bit)

The guitar sound on the left of this song is what I've mainly used the B4 Leslie for. Three Dog Night used real Leslie on guitar quite a bit back in the day.

https://youtu.be/IKbz6gCmlWw?t=44

I'l check both those plug out when I have some time.
DeeringAmps
BobV,
I think its time to change the title of this thread.
Reaper is an awesome DAW; PERIOD!
Just my nickel98, YMMV; but I doubt it!
I won't cut and run anytime soon, but I'm confident that Reaper will do everything I'll ever need it to.
Thanks to all for the "heads-up"!
T

I went back and found my invoice from the very first time I bought REAPER, and then when I bought it the second time to get the next two versions.  My last purchase gets me to version 5.99 The current version is 5.62, so I will get even more updates that include stuff like them adding ARA, and in the recent past musical notation.

I originally bought REAPER 2 (which got me all of v2.xx through v3.99) back in March of 2008 for $50, then upgraded to REAPER 4 when it came out in August of 2011 for another $50, so at this moment I have a total of ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS that I have spent on REAPER for the last 9.66 years. By the time they release REAPER 6.0, it will have cost me about TEN BUCKS a year in total.

It's a shame that some folks see the low $60 price plus small 11 MB download and *ASSUME* that it is a toy that's geared for beginners, but then again that's probably OK coz I really don't want a bunch of easily fooled people being part of the driving force that helps steer REAPER on it's journey.  IOW, if you can't see REAPER's depth because of it's price or download size, then you might be a shallow person.  <G>

azslow3
DeeringAmps

It does not COSTS $60, it is on "permanent sale", for not commercial (or small scale commercial) use for $60. It has some plug-ins, but in general it is just a DAW itself.

People as amused by $150 pack with the DAW, with plug-ins, with Synth and 2 extra program. So effectively Sampitude is also cost like $60 at the moment!

But marketing people know: write "save $1200" on top of it and everyone will say "that is a steal price for a huge professional thing", while write "$60 all the time" and everyone say "that is a cheap toy for kids".

I never want to see a bunch of add on stuff included with REAPER.  If I need some plugins, I'll buy some plugins that I choose and that suit my specific needs.

I remember hating it when Cakewalk started adding loops, and instruments, and other stuff that I considered to be mostly fluff, and then one day I called them on it on the old NNTP newsgroups (before this web forum existed).

The response I got back from a Cake official, was a BYTE COUNT of how much space all the junk I got with Sonar would consume. You get OVER 2 GIGABYTES with SONAR!  That was the beginning of the end for me, as I equated it to my cable TV company touting that I get "OVER 300 CHANNELS"!  Yeah, there's ten good channels and another 290 that are total crap!!!
2017/12/06 23:54:30
DeeringAmps
I've run the demos for Cubase, Digital Performer, MixCraft, and Samplitude. I own Studio One.
I found them all "wanting" in some way.
There are two DAWS on my StudioCat; Splat and Reaper.
I'm happily back to making music.
😎
DeeringAmps
I've run the demos for Cubase, Digital Performer, MixCraft, and Samplitude. I own Studio One.
I found them all "wanting" in some way.
There are two DAWS on my StudioCat; Splat and Reaper.
I'm happily back to making music.
😎

Veddy cool!  Look what a sixty dollar toy can do!   Oh, but they prolly had to pay $225 for the toy software.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0uwl1Fxu5A
2017/12/07 00:02:06
azslow3
pbognar
azslow3
* Matrix view. In Sonar it was more buggy then useful, I guess some VST/Reaper plug-in can do at least the same. Which?

Matrix view => PlayTime

Played a bit with PlayTime. After quite some initial confusion with turned on loop and rx2 (I have dragged the first loops I could see in CW Audio folder and tool default "Slice" option when importing), I mean 2 unfortunate things which are not good for PlayTime, I have found it is working.

Pro:
* it is working clip trigger,
* from the documentation with controller support (I mean feedback, was not possible in Sonar)
* not expensive
Cons:
* it is linking clips into the corresponding places of tracks/timeline and letting Reaper "play" it. So it is using as much as possible from Reaper. Clever, but hackish.
* since its delegate the whole work with material to Reaper, no possibility to auto pitch matching.

2017/12/07 00:24:26
azslow3
DeeringAmps
... Splat and Reaper ...

Unfortunately both do not have some very attracting options from another "toy", Waveform.
But with these 3, I do not see what is not yet covered for my amateur needs.

When ARA is implemented and AZ Controller is ported, there will be time to start forgetting Sonar.
Leaving Reaper and Waveform.
But who knows, many be Reaper get pitch matching and chord progression with patterns (absence of arbitrary freeze points is already compensated by routing flexibility), to survive as the only DAW I need and want...

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account