• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.18)
azslow3
DeeringAmps
... Splat and Reaper ...

Unfortunately both do not have some very attracting options from another "toy", Waveform.
But with these 3, I do not see what is not yet covered for my amateur needs.

When ARA is implemented and AZ Controller is ported, there will be time to start forgetting Sonar.
Leaving Reaper and Waveform.
But who knows, many be Reaper get pitch matching and chord progression with patterns (absence of arbitrary freeze points is already compensated by routing flexibility), to survive as the only DAW I need and want...

First and foremost, I want stability in my DAW software.  The folks at RE:Live,

http://reliverecordings.co.uk/

who record mission critical multi-track live concert performances where you don't get a second chance, are using 48 channels of Audient ASP880s, into two RME Firefaces, along with REAPER running on a Macbook.

Beyond stability, plugin compatibility would likely be my next top item, and everything else a DAW might offer beyond those two things becomes less and less important to me.  I'm glad that REAPER will be getting ARA, but not because I will use it or need it.  It's more that some folks who depend on stuff that ARA can do might also get to use a DAW in the same class as I've been using for almost ten years now. REAPER already does what I need.

2017/12/07 02:07:28
JohnKenn
Amen to this.

Several months ago, would have been pure hell fire blasphemy to suggest, but here we are evaluating stability and plug compatibility on the way out. Don't think anyone around here does not want the well being and forward progress of all, whether you stick with Sonar for the predictable function over several years, or need to jump ship now..

Just me to target, but 10 years plus Reaper and Sonar experience for what it's worth to anyone. Reaper was always more rock solid and embraced more vst plugs without going belly up. There was one mono bass plug many years ago that Sonar registered that Reaper did not. Otherwise, Reaper dragged thru the dirt better. Far more stable as a DAW and the ability to deal with rogue vst's.

My need is stability and vst incorporation. ARA is cool but way down on the list for my needs. Reaper just gets the job done. Ironically, the simplicity and straightforward nature of the operation can be a turn off. Like where's the other 5 steps needed to get a task done. Hope all will keep an open mind in the trial experience.

John
2017/12/07 02:14:20
BobF
If the Reaper guys would just do something about the color I would never even startup Studio One again!!

BobF
If the Reaper guys would just do something about the color I would never even startup Studio One again!!

Have you tried the black on black theme?  It's real easy on the eyes, but a bit more difficult to navigate.   <g>
JohnKenn
Amen to this.

Several months ago, would have been pure hell fire blasphemy to suggest, but here we are evaluating stability and plug compatibility on the way out. Don't think anyone around here does not want the well being and forward progress of all, whether you stick with Sonar for the predictable function over several years, or need to jump ship now..

Just me to target, but 10 years plus Reaper and Sonar experience for what it's worth to anyone. Reaper was always more rock solid and embraced more vst plugs without going belly up. There was one mono bass plug many years ago that Sonar registered that Reaper did not. Otherwise, Reaper dragged thru the dirt better. Far more stable as a DAW and the ability to deal with rogue vst's.

My need is stability and vst incorporation. ARA is cool but way down on the list for my needs. Reaper just gets the job done. Ironically, the simplicity and straightforward nature of the operation can be a turn off. Like where's the other 5 steps needed to get a task done. Hope all will keep an open mind in the trial experience.

John

In addition to what you just said, I will add that the invisibility of REAPER, meaning that I don't even notice it while using it, is a giant plus for me. If I can get through a project, and never have to think about my DAW software, then I am more focused on the music I am recording. If OTOH I am constantly chasing ghosts with my DAW software, that leaves less time for me to work on my music.

I can't count how many times I've read posts on the main Sonar forum with advice to delete aud.ini, increase buffer size, uninstall and reinstall Sonar, try different drivers, and even to totally reformat and reinstall Windows, effectively halting all music production and spending days on making the DAW software stable.
2017/12/07 11:27:26
jjj.fcc
azslow3
People as amused by $150 pack with the DAW, with plug-ins, with Synth and 2 extra program. So effectively Sampitude is also cost like $60 at the moment!

Actually, I bought a sale Samplitude version on Steam yesterday for less than 20 bucks... 4.6 GB file to install!!!
A little different approach (like any DAW), so I spent more time than with Reaper to do the first "Hello World" song, but seems to be an option, specially at this ridiculous price!

Now: a little question:

Is there anything like CAL in Reaper? (or other DAW)

'Cos I use some of these little programs inside Sonar... undupe, for instance.
2017/12/07 12:45:43
azslow3
jjj.fcc
Now: a little question:
Is there anything like CAL in Reaper? (or other DAW)
'Cos I use some of these little programs inside Sonar... undupe, for instance.

https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/reascript/reascript.php
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/js/js.php

But for anything you want to do, it can happened it is already there... f.e. to remove duplicated MIDI notes, there is build-in function.
2017/12/07 13:06:54
subtlearts
Ok. I've never actually used Reaper for anything, but I've kept an eye on it over the years because it speaks to me on a number of levels - the punk DAW, as it were. I've been fascinated to watch them build it the way they have, with no marketing at all except word of mouth, a fair pricing scheme, lean and rapid development, efficient code, no bloatware, responsive to the user community... So I've installed the demo a few times over the years and kicked the tires a bit but never bought a license because I always ended up returning to the cozy familiarity of Sonar.

But now I'm interested for real, for obvious reasons. And it looks like there's a lot to like. I like the look of Studio One too, but I think Reaper might win me over this time.

And hey, Alexey, if you're going to port your control surface plugin over, that will make it that much more interesting for me! Seems like the right new home for it for sure.

Onwards and upwards!
2017/12/07 13:18:36
jjj.fcc
azslow3

https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/reascript/reascript.php
https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/js/js.php
But for anything you want to do, it can happened it is already there... f.e. to remove duplicated MIDI notes, there is build-in function.

Thanks!
2017/12/07 14:08:56
azslow3
subtlearts
And hey, Alexey, if you're going to port your control surface plugin over, that will make it that much more interesting for me! Seems like the right new home for it for sure.

That is the plan
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account