• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.22)
2017/12/10 20:53:45
Skyline_UK
One thing a can't get used to is not having Sonar's Shift+F to zoom everything to project. It may be my tidiness OCD, but in Sonar I frequently Shift+F to tidy up.  Oddly, Reaper has umpteen uselss Zoom commands, as does the RWS extensions, but nothing as simple as good old Shift+F!
Skyline_UK
One thing a can't get used to is not having Sonar's Shift+F to zoom everything to project. It may be my tidiness OCD, but in Sonar I frequently Shift+F to tidy up.  Oddly, Reaper has umpteen uselss Zoom commands, as does the RWS extensions, but nothing as simple as good old Shift+F!

Have you posted a question with maybe a screen shot of what you are after, over in the REAPER group?  Like maybe a before Shift+F and an after Shift+F so it is crystal clear what you are trying to achieve. I use static track view on top, mixer on bottom, so I wouldn't know what to tell you even if I saw before and after shots, but other folks in the REAPER group use a lot of things that I don't use, like screen sets, which REAPER has, but I couldn't even begin to tell you where those are, or how they work without looking it up somewhere.  Well dammit, now you made me go look!!!

I still don't know if this is what you are looking for, but searching for "zoom to" in the user guide hit this.

Zoom Out to entire project length - Ctrl PageDown
2017/12/10 21:48:30
Paul P

Thanks for the comparison info.  I've accumulated many plugins over the last years, especially synths/instruments which are my main interest, so Reaper looks good if it's solid as it's being portrayed, and there isn't that much of Sonar that it can't do.

2017/12/10 23:06:34
dubdisciple
Paul P

The 60$ price tag is way below the competition's regular price.  Why ?  Put another way, if Reaper is so great and so cheap, why consider Studio 1, Cubase, etc. at all ?

There are multiple reasons:

1) $60 is the price always quoted buy $250 is the price for those actually making a living with their DAW. Sure, you could lie. Hell, you could even skip the 60 if you wanted, but assuming the person is honest, crossgrades to other products with more features may be the same or less.

2) Ease of use. I heavily considered Reaper for a studio i built for kids and it was beyond frustrating for kids i tested on.

I honestly think Reaper is best deal going for someone willing to invest time and has money for plugins
dubdisciple
Paul P

The 60$ price tag is way below the competition's regular price.  Why ?  Put another way, if Reaper is so great and so cheap, why consider Studio 1, Cubase, etc. at all ?

There are multiple reasons:

1) $60 is the price always quoted buy $250 is the price for those actually making a living with their DAW. Sure, you could lie. Hell, you could even skip the 60 if you wanted, but assuming the person is honest, crossgrades to other products with more features may be the same or less.

2) Ease of use. I heavily considered Reaper for a studio i built for kids and it was beyond frustrating for kids i tested on.

I honestly think Reaper is best deal going for someone willing to invest time and has money for plugins

One qualification in the above. You only are required to pay $250 for REAPER if you are using it commercially, *AND* grossing more than $20,000.00 per year doing it.

If you are using REAPER commercially and grossing $19,999.99 per year, it is 100% legal for you to buy the cheaper $60 license, and I'd bet there are a lot of project studios earning less than twenty grand per year gross, that would still qualify as a professional studio.

I used to have a studio with a six foot tall $10,000.00 Ampex 1" machine, and dedicated drum booth, recording local bands, and doing lots of jingles for radio.  I also played professionally three or so times a week, so my studio was not my sole source of income, and would have been eligible to buy REAPER for sixty bucks, even though I was doing commercial recording there.  This was the old studio. A roll of tape for that Ampex cost me more back in the mid 80s than REAPER would cost me today for that studio!   ;)

2017/12/10 23:43:16
dubdisciple
Thanks for clarification.
2017/12/11 08:42:01
azslow3
Skyline_UK

Have you seen: https://forum.cockos.com/archive/index.php/t-72891.html

2017/12/11 12:07:55
Skyline_UK
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Skyline_UK

Have you posted a question with maybe a screen shot of what you are after, over in the REAPER group?  Like maybe a before Shift+F and an after Shift+F so it is crystal clear what you are trying to achieve. I use static track view on top, mixer on bottom, so I wouldn't know what to tell you even if I saw before and after shots, but other folks in the REAPER group use a lot of things that I don't use, like screen sets, which REAPER has, but I couldn't even begin to tell you where those are, or how they work without looking it up somewhere.  Well dammit, now you made me go look!!!
I still don't know if this is what you are looking for, but searching for "zoom to" in the user guide hit this.
Zoom Out to entire project length - Ctrl PageDown

Yes, I tried the forum. No joy.  It's been something some members have been asking for for two years.
I've been experimenting for a few hours today. I tried the script in that old Reaper forum thread.  Doesn't quite work because you have to put dummy events on any track that doesn't yet have any - even Instrument tracks!  And 'select all tracks' doesn't work in the macro.  Also, for some reason it resizes the project to a point two or three bars after the real end - and yes, I've made sure there are no MIDI events or markers there.

Also still outstanding after two years forum activity on it, is how to lock an individual  track height!  I have to say I find it staggering that Reaper regularly adds all kinds of teensy weeny tweaks to the program and yet can't incorporate these two very, very, basic tools, which I don't regard as Sonar 'nice to haves' by any means.

I'll plough on for a bit more creating a project, but I'm finding more and more areas which leave me saying "Whaaa?".  And more worryingly, I haven't found a single feature yet which has made me say "Ok, that's neat".

I think for me it's looking increasingly like it's going to be a case of using Sonar until the bottom of it drops out for some reason, and then making the switch to Studio One.

2017/12/11 17:52:00
azslow3
What about:
Track: Select all tracks
Item: Select all items
SWS: Horizontal zoom to selected items
SWS: Vertical zoom to selected tracks
Item: unselect all item
Track: Unselect all tracks

Try to add into Sonar some functionality it does not have... Most of the time, when something does not exist in Sonar, the argumentation was "that is not needed". In Reaper, the argumentation is the same
azslow3
What about:
Track: Select all tracks
Item: Select all items
SWS: Horizontal zoom to selected items
SWS: Vertical zoom to selected tracks
Item: unselect all item
Track: Unselect all tracks

Try to add into Sonar some functionality it does not have... Most of the time, when something does not exist in Sonar, the argumentation was "that is not needed". In Reaper, the argumentation is the same

You have gotten quite good in a very short amount of time with the concept of custom actions in REAPER!

When I need some custom actions for things I need, I know who I'll be calling!!!  
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account