• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.25)
2017/12/14 17:06:58
Afrodrum
Thanks, it seems 7.0 comes no sooner than 12 months.
azslow3
Afrodrum
Current version is $60 with free upgrades until ver. 6.99. Does it mean another $60 when ver. 7.0 comes out (perhaps with free upgrades until ver. 8.99) ?

Yes. Note that 5.0 is dated 8.2015, 4.0 is dated 8.2011 ... I mean it can take a while till you are asked to pay another $60

Hehe, think of it as "Semi-Lifetime Updates".    ;-)
2017/12/14 18:35:55
azslow3
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
azslow3
Afrodrum
Current version is $60 with free upgrades until ver. 6.99. Does it mean another $60 when ver. 7.0 comes out (perhaps with free upgrades until ver. 8.99) ?

Yes. Note that 5.0 is dated 8.2015, 4.0 is dated 8.2011 ... I mean it can take a while till you are asked to pay another $60

Hehe, think of it as "Semi-Lifetime Updates".    ;-)

Definitively more then Sonar "liftime"
2017/12/14 21:38:55
jbraner
I had a full day of playing around today (I had a tooth pulled, and I was supposed to sit and take it easy all day )
I feel more comfortable getting around and setting up keystrokes (and mouse actions) to do things I'm used to.

It's still a little clunky though.
- In MIDI editor (piano roll view), is there a way to save your settings, when you turn off showing velocity in the notes, and set colors to track (rather than velocity) etc? I found it going back to default every time I went back in to the MIDI editor. (maybe it will be better with different themes and saving layouts, screensets etc)

- organising VST FX (instruments aren't so bad) is going to take *months*. I have an elaborate menu system set up in SONAR (which I've tweaked for the last 20 years) and *way* too many plugins to wade through without some organisation. It doesn't help that you can't make sub-folders in the FX Group Folders.

I'll get there eventually, but I have a sore head now. I'm going to go back to "business as usual" in SONAR for a while - then come back to this...

Suddenly my detailed post with answers to John's questions disappeared. See what happens if I make it a new post.

jbraner

- In MIDI editor (piano roll view), is there a way to save your settings, when you turn off showing velocity in the notes, and set colors to track (rather than velocity) etc? I found it going back to default every time I went back in to the MIDI editor. (maybe it will be better with different themes and saving layouts, screensets etc)

If you save your project with those changes, next time you load that project it will still have the options you had set.

- organising VST FX (instruments aren't so bad) is going to take *months*. I have an elaborate menu system set up in SONAR (which I've tweaked for the last 20 years) and *way* too many plugins to wade through without some organisation. It doesn't help that you can't make sub-folders in the FX Group Folders.

The moment you open the FX navigation panel, you'll have a cursor in the filter box, and if you for instance typed "tril", then you would see a list constrained to only show plugins with "tril" in their name.  I only keep a folder for my most favorite and most often used FX, and another for my most favorite instruments. Anything else I'm looking for, I use the filter box at the bottom for finding. It is an "as you type" filter too.

I'll get there eventually, but I have a sore head now. I'm going to go back to "business as usual" in SONAR for a while - then come back to this...

Hope you have a speedy recovery!    ;)
2017/12/15 20:17:45
jbraner

If you save your project with those changes, next time you load that project it will still have the options you had set.

OK thanks - I'd rather not have to do it, each time - but I guess when I make a "template" that this will be covered.

The moment you open the FX navigation panel, you'll have a cursor in the filter box, and if you for instance typed "tril", then you would see a list constrained to only show plugins with "tril" in their name. I only keep a folder for my most favorite and most often used FX, and another for my most favorite instruments. Anything else I'm looking for, I use the filter box at the bottom for finding. It is an "as you type" filter too.

Yeah, I see that, but I'm used to working a little differently. I like to see a list of "candidates" to pick from - like a "compressors" folder with my favourite ones at the top, then the rest, then maybe a "more" folder - for when I'm desperate, or feeling adventurous ;-)

I realise that I'll have to change some mind sets, so just thinking about how to go about it.

I'd rather think this through now, in a "playing around" period, than have to stop every 14 minutes when I'm in "creative" mode ;-)
jbraner

OK thanks - I'd rather not have to do it, each time - but I guess when I make a "template" that this will be covered.

I use my own startup projects as my beginning point. I like to use free item positioning with clips rather than fixed length takes, so my default template has a bunch of tracks set for free item positioning, plus my entire set of Superior Drummer 2 Ludwig drums, all mixed and spanning 8 tracks in a collapsible folder, so I can right away play some drums, or use loops from Superior's library for my metronome. I also have a lot of other stuff tweaked so when I start a new project, a lot of it is already laid out and formatted the way I like to work.

The moment you open the FX navigation panel, you'll have a cursor in the filter box, and if you for instance typed "tril", then you would see a list constrained to only show plugins with "tril" in their name. I only keep a folder for my most favorite and most often used FX, and another for my most favorite instruments. Anything else I'm looking for, I use the filter box at the bottom for finding. It is an "as you type" filter too.

Yeah, I see that, but I'm used to working a little differently. I like to see a list of "candidates" to pick from - like a "compressors" folder with my favourite ones at the top, then the rest, then maybe a "more" folder - for when I'm desperate, or feeling adventurous ;-)

If you were to type "comp" then you will see a constrained list of every compressor you have, unless it doesn't have "comp" in it's name. Yeah, it's different than Sonar, and that is an adjustment you'll either find you can deal with or not.

I've been rehearsing with a band to go out live and play some gigs. They have a set of drums in their studio, so I don't have to bring anything but sticks when I come over. The first time I came over, they kept telling me that I could adjust the drums the way I like them, and were knocked off guard when I told them that I would simply adapt to their setup, and not disturb the owner of the kit's setup. I'm pretty flexible and don't have to have every cymbal or tom in some specific place, but I have seen plenty of drummers who can't even play simple beats if everything isn't in the exact position they like it to be. Hehe, I just keep my eyes open and look for things to hit!  ;)

I realise that I'll have to change some mind sets, so just thinking about how to go about it.

I'd rather think this through now, in a "playing around" period, than have to stop every 14 minutes when I'm in "creative" mode ;-)

Playing around is where it's at. BTW, if you need a drum template or two for Superior let me know, and I'll post 'em somewhere. I'm sure you have every single drum kit they ever made, so any of my setups would translate, sans FX you might not have.

2017/12/15 21:43:41
jbraner
Thanks G - I'm using Superior 3 now, and I downloaded (and fixed) a note map (or whatever it's called) ;-)

I just bounce all my drum parts (with bleeds etc) (not even through the mixer) and use my own FX - so I'm good in that dept.

For FX, typing in "comp" won't find the Slate compressors (all in VMR) or the VBC ones. I'll just make my menu 😉
2017/12/17 12:47:58
subtlearts
azslow3
What about:
Track: Select all tracks
Item: Select all items
SWS: Horizontal zoom to selected items
SWS: Vertical zoom to selected tracks
Item: unselect all item
Track: Unselect all tracks

That was easy! Man this thing is powerful... what *can't* be achieved with a combination of existing actions, macros and, for those with the affinity for it, a bit of scripting? 
2017/12/17 13:02:51
subtlearts
Afrodrum
Thanks, it seems 7.0 comes no sooner than 12 months.

Given that they aren't even at open beta stage for 6 yet, and are still cramming features into the late point upgrades for 5, yes, I think we're safe for a while. And given what they're still adding to 5, one can only assume they have some juicy things in the cooker for 6. The beta could theoretically appear at any time - though it's considered bad form to talk about it outside specific forums, so you have to know where to look (not too hard to find) and play by the rules - and then there would be a beta period, followed by official 6.0 release, then likely a couple of years of point upgrades on that... that is if the existing patterns hold, which seems likely - they run a pretty organized ship. And it's really hard to make the argument that value is not being provided. Reaper really has to be considered a mature, fully-featured DAW at this point, can do a bunch things nothing else can, does it all very stably and efficiently, is ultra-flexible and configurable, and is being developed faster than pretty much anything else on the market. Pricing is more than reasonable, copy protection is basically the honor-system, forum is active and community generally helpful. I am not seeing a downside at this point. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account