• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.26)
2017/12/17 13:38:49
DeeringAmps
"I'll throw Ozone on the 2-Buss and report back..."
This is currently a very "bare bones" project.
EZDrummer, TTS-1 for bass and keys; hand full of vocal and guitar tracks.
Couple instances of EZMix for guitar sims, two reverbs and delays (Sonitus).
With Ozone 8 and Insight on the 2-Buss (ARC on the Master), it runs fine at 48 samples.
A much more "complex" project "runs" in SPlat at 48; but there is a lot of "hash"; though no drop outs.
Not "scientific" to be sure, but...
T
DeeringAmps
"I'll throw Ozone on the 2-Buss and report back..."
This is currently a very "bare bones" project.
EZDrummer, TTS-1 for bass and keys; hand full of vocal and guitar tracks.
Couple instances of EZMix for guitar sims, two reverbs and delays (Sonitus).
With Ozone 8 and Insight on the 2-Buss (ARC on the Master), it runs fine at 48 samples.
A much more "complex" project "runs" in SPlat at 48; but there is a lot of "hash"; though no drop outs.
Not "scientific" to be sure, but...
T

BTW, I noticed that you mentioned ARC. I don't use it myself, but on REAPER's View menu is an option called "Monitoring Effects". It is designed for putting things like ARC where you want to monitor through the effect, but not print the effect when you mix down.

That is also a convenient patch point for putting things like spectrum analyzers, VU meters, and other calibration tools. One more thing about the "Monitoring Effects" bin is that it is effective cross-project, in that if you put an effect there, it will be present in ALL your projects, as it only affects what you are hearing, or monitors what you are hearing, and has no effect on the project itself.

2017/12/17 16:09:06
DeeringAmps
Wow!
Thanks for the heads-up Glen.

T
2017/12/18 08:07:45
Frank Harvey
Whilst casually Multi Tasking ...........( & So UnMale   - Apparently ;) ) ........Trialing 3 or 4 Sonar Replacement  DAWS at once...........
Just then Trialed Reaper with Addictive Drums 2. 
Yeah it seems to work fine........not the same modus operandum as SONAR.....but we are all on a fast learning curve hey.
Loaded all the tracks from AD2 into Reaper on separate Tracks ( Yes using the Down Arrows In AD2 GUI - Pre Fader).
BTW........Just so I felt at SOoo @ home .........I trialed importing Ye Ole Sonar Icons as PNG's ( Thanks Photoshop for the BMP to PNG conversions).......plus some cropping and pasting .       
But the Eye Candy continuity helps ... in this new DAW transition for a longtime Sonar player ....LOL
Cheers.Frank

2017/12/18 11:41:48
kevmsmith81
Frank Harvey
Whilst casually Multi Tasking ...........( & So UnMale   - Apparently ;) ) ........Trialing 3 or 4 Sonar Replacement  DAWS at once...........
Just then Trialed Reaper with Addictive Drums 2. 
Yeah it seems to work fine........not the same modus operandum as SONAR.....but we are all on a fast learning curve hey.
Loaded all the tracks from AD2 into Reaper on separate Tracks ( Yes using the Down Arrows In AD2 GUI - Pre Fader).
BTW........Just so I felt at SOoo @ home .........I trialed importing Ye Ole Sonar Icons as PNG's ( Thanks Photoshop for the BMP to PNG conversions).......plus some cropping and pasting .       
But the Eye Candy continuity helps ... in this new DAW transition for a longtime Sonar player ....LOL
Cheers.Frank

The basics in Reaper are very easy to pull off.  Not delved any deeper than that currently.  I also downloaded Mixbus ($49 - good deal).  Definitely not as intuitive as Reaper or SONAR and will require more learning.

2017/12/18 22:42:17
azslow3
My first problems with Reaper:
* crash playing live with 2 soft synth routed from one armed track, with the keyboard duplicating notes on 2 channels. Not immediately, but I always get the crash after 3-5 minutes. May be one of 2 synth... but they produce no problems in almost identical project but with different routing. Will investigate when I have time.
* "cracks" from Rea reverb. After "Save as..." the project and recording new content. Original project has no such effect. Funny. So also to be understood.

If someone think I am negative... at the same point of investigations with Sonar X1, I had only one question: "does this program can do ANYTHING without crashing?". So no, I am rather happy to hit just 2 problems
azslow3
My first problems with Reaper:
* crash playing live with 2 soft synth routed from one armed track, with the keyboard duplicating notes on 2 channels. Not immediately, but I always get the crash after 3-5 minutes. May be one of 2 synth... but they produce no problems in almost identical project but with different routing. Will investigate when I have time.
* "cracks" from Rea reverb. After "Save as..." the project and recording new content. Original project has no such effect. Funny. So also to be understood.

If someone think I am negative... at the same point of investigations with Sonar X1, I had only one question: "does this program can do ANYTHING without crashing?". So no, I am rather happy to hit just 2 problems

I think I might know the answer to your second issue. ReaVerb is high precision for mastering convolution verb, BUT there are some check boxes at the bottom to make it more CPU friendly and to make it more zero latency.  Seems like I always
check both boxes when I'm using it.
2017/12/19 08:51:47
JoeHans
Is there a proper arranger track in Reaper like in Cubase and S1?
2017/12/19 10:30:17
azslow3
JoeHans
Is there a proper arranger track in Reaper like in Cubase and S1?

I have not advanced myself to this point, but: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/power-arranging-reaper

2017/12/19 11:53:41
Jeff Evans
If arranging is your thing and you want to be able to change up music arrangements, Studio One actually is way ahead in this area.  Creating play lists or moving arrangement markers around in different places is not where it is at.  The problem with this approach is the timeline basically does not change.  In Studio One you can totally rearrange the music and create a new timeline and it plays that way.  Just click and drag whole sections around.  All the audio goes with it.  When you work with this arrangement workflow everything else seems a little clumsy. 

Scratchpads are also excellent arrange options as well. You an create many of them and have a different arrangement in each.  Switching between them is super fast too.  Scratchpads are not just for ideas.  They are ways of altering arrangements as well.  Because the mixing channels don't change only the data playing into them.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account