• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.27)
JoeHans
Is there a proper arranger track in Reaper like in Cubase and S1?

This might give you an idea of how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/w...ure=youtu.be&t=704
2017/12/19 15:59:55
Zo
JoeHans

Use Régions , it's even enhanced in the last update where régions can overlap but easier to manipulate

Amigos , are you guyz succed to make takes in midi ?  i mean like for exemple ezdrummer , record kik +dnr , stop record hh on the same track and it create another take ect ..

My takes option is checked but i doesn't create takes like in audio mode ....
Zo
JoeHans

Use Régions , it's even enhanced in the last update where régions can overlap but easier to manipulate

Amigos , are you guyz succed to make takes in midi ?  i mean like for exemple ezdrummer , record kik +dnr , stop record hh on the same track and it create another take ect ..

My takes option is checked but i doesn't create takes like in audio mode ....

There are two options you might have a look at. One says "hear all takes" or "play all takes" (I'm not at my DAW right now), and the other option is "Free Item Positioning" which has an effect on whether all takes will be identical in length or not.
2017/12/20 04:10:20
tfbattag
I haven't posted on here in a looooong time.I've been with CW since 1996, so I'm sad.

I use Reaper for some projects and SONAR for others. In some ways, I'm glad I stopped upgrading at X1. It still works when I need it. 

I'm probably inevitably going to switch to ProTools or Logic for some things, but I will always use REAPER for others. I go both ways with Mac and PC, and that is one thing that I love REAPER for. It works great on both platforms, and the experience is the same too. So, I can use my MBP with a UA Apollo at times, and my Windows rig with my RME setup as well. I don't even have to learn much to move between the two.

So, if anybody lives in the Mac/PC duality as I do, REAPER is actually a great DAW to transcend both.
2017/12/20 07:27:33
JoeHans
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
JoeHans

This might give you an idea of how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/w...ure=youtu.be&t=704

Thanks! That explained it clearly. Looks better than arranging in Sonar and I think I could live with this.

I'm still torn between Cubase, Studio One and Reaper. All seem like very good DAWs but for different reasons. All this comparison makes my head hurt. 
2017/12/22 14:58:38
emwhy
Been working with Reaper for about 2 weeks. A lot of trial and (mostly) error in that time frame, but I will go out on a limb and say that if the inevitable happens with SONAR I will be switching to Reaper. It's not just the price, but once you get over the hump of how to configure things, this is one very powerful program. What I like is that it recognizes all my DirectX plug-ins and even allows me launch Adobe Audition as an external editor which is huge with all the voice-over and broadcast work I do. Yesterday I set up a 12 track drum mix with about 20-24 vsts and it played back fine. What I really liked was that I had 2 instances of Ozone, one on the drum bus, the other on the master bus and the CPU barely usage blinked (to be fair this was on an i7 desktop with 8 cores). The only downside to reaper is probably its biggest upside in that there are so many options for the user to configure it can become off-putting and somewhat daunting if you only have experience with one or two DAWS. The UI is a little clunky as well, but once I found a more appealing theme online things started to perk up for me. So I will continue to take my time with this program, maybe wait for the next full version and then probably switch over.

2017/12/22 16:29:19
jbraner
I'll tell you what -
I've been playing around recording some guitar tracks.
I still have to get my head around how the "lanes" and "takes" work, and how to clear them out and organise them etc - but it is running at *way* lower latencies than I could get in SONAR.
So far, it's working perfectly at 64 samples, and I put it down to 32, and it played fine (with CPU higher - as expected). I'll need to record at these settings - and add more FX and audio tracks to stress it a bit better - but I could *never* play at latencies like this in SONAR (even with these small amounts of tracks).

I'm still on the learning curve - but I'm pretty sure this will do everything I need it to ;-) 
emwhy
Been working with Reaper for about 2 weeks. A lot of trial and (mostly) error in that time frame, but I will go out on a limb and say that if the inevitable happens with SONAR I will be switching to Reaper. It's not just the price, but once you get over the hump of how to configure things, this is one very powerful program. What I like is that it recognizes all my DirectX plug-ins and even allows me launch Adobe Audition as an external editor which is huge with all the voice-over and broadcast work I do. Yesterday I set up a 12 track drum mix with about 20-24 vsts and it played back fine. What I really liked was that I had 2 instances of Ozone, one on the drum bus, the other on the master bus and the CPU barely usage blinked (to be fair this was on an i7 desktop with 8 cores). The only downside to reaper is probably its biggest upside in that there are so many options for the user to configure it can become off-putting and somewhat daunting if you only have experience with one or two DAWS. The UI is a little clunky as well, but once I found a more appealing theme online things started to perk up for me. So I will continue to take my time with this program, maybe wait for the next full version and then probably switch over.

Once you get stuff setup in REAPER the way you want it, then you are done with ever tweaking it, and from then on you can just record and never think about any settings again. The only exception to that rule is when you find out through the user forum that some feature you didn't know was lurking in the background, and decide to go play with it.  I recently became aware that you can create a VCA track and VCA groups, which is a deep level function, but offers some advantages over busses and folders.

The other thing I just became aware of and tried out this morning is setting the WASPI Loopback driver, which will let you record anything being played through Windows audio. Straight away, I hit YouTube and tried it. Sure enough it works, and should also work with anything else you can play from any source, provided it is playing through Windows audio.
jbraner
it is running at *way* lower latencies than I could get in SONAR.
So far, it's working perfectly at 64 samples, and I put it down to 32, and it played fine (with CPU higher - as expected). I'll need to record at these settings - and add more FX and audio tracks to stress it a bit better - but I could *never* play at latencies like this in SONAR (even with these small amounts of tracks).

That was my first experience with it too. Then I found out I could leave it at those low latency settings and even pull stuff off like recording through an amp sim way late into a project because I was still running at 64 samples latency, even with a bunch of tracks and a bunch of FX already in use.
2017/12/25 01:24:49
JohnKenn
Been with Reaper since version 1. Watched the beautiful transition from an audio only bare bones toy of a recorder into the gem it has become. When it came out, Reaper could not stand in Sonar's shadow. But now is now, way different game.
Not a power user since I've only ever needed 5 percent or less of the capabilities, which iz why I appreciate tips from the user base here.
Someone was in a discussion about Melodyne, pitch correction stuff. I have some Izotrope teaser.
Mention made that ReaTune did pitch correction as we are waiting for safe ARA implementation.

Good grief... I've used ReaTune for years as a guitar tuner. Never opened the other tabs for pitch correction til one of you guys advised to check it out..
The thing actually works. Low latency. Basics there and they work well. Way cool.

John
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account